Dexron 6 in a Honda transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.
This happened years ago and the car is long gone but always wonder if it would have caused any problem. Had a Saturn Vue which uses a Honda engine and transmission which takes Honda DW1 fluid. The Saturn dealer said they always use Dexron so that's what I used. Probably flushed and changed it 3 or 4 times with 15 quarts of fluid. Ran just fine afterwards and for a couple thousand more miles before I sold it. So did it do any harm to the transmission? Or even extend it's life?

Long gone car? Probably the same as my current Accord which specified DW-1 or dexron II. dexron IV is the proper replacement for dexron II or III, and is what I use in my Accord. It works fine.

No hating allowed. I use a frankenbrew in my Honda. It's a mix of Castrol transmax, Dex 6, type f, and a container of seafoam for engine not transtune. It's been going good for over 50,000 miles. I bought the car with the transmission acting up and I kept tailoring the fluid until it shifted the best. I figured it wouldn't last this long but it has no signs of stopping.

Originally Posted by joegreen
No hating allowed. I use a frankenbrew in my Honda. It's a mix of Castrol transmax, Dex 6, type f, and a container of seafoam for engine not transtune. It's been going good for over 50,000 miles. I bought the car with the transmission acting up and I kept tailoring the fluid until it shifted the best. I figured it wouldn't last this long but it has no signs of stopping.

The VI and transmax have similar if not the same coefficients of friction. The F I would not put in a modern transmission.

I put a Mobile 1 synthetic in my 2012 Honda one time on a drain and fill and was told by quite a few people on a Honda forum to get it out of there. I am glad the Dexron seems to work in your application.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by joekingcorvette
I put a Mobile 1 synthetic in my 2012 Honda one time on a drain and fill and was told by quite a few people on a Honda forum to get it out of there. I am glad the Dexron seems to work in your application.

If the requirement allowed dexron II or III then the Honda forum people don't know what they are talking about.

I used M1 ATF in the early Dexron GM LT's towing park trailers … Tig ran in Ford's …
Mechanic/shop owner here towed a large boat with a big block 2500 … and back then would cook every off the shelf fluid but the M1 ATF …

Originally Posted by dave1251

The VI and transmax have similar if not the same coefficients of friction. The F I would not put in a modern transmission.

Where do you find the coefficients of friction information?

How about Honda DW-1 vs Maxlife vs Valvoline Mercon V? The reason I ask is I got 20 qt of Mercon V for $1 ea a few years back, was wondering what else can I use it with, or can I at least blend it with Maxlife (i.e. 2 maxlife 1 Mercon V) and use it in a Honda.

I don't know. It might not do much harm. But probably won't benefit.

Trade or sell the Mercon V to someone with a Ford. When I have parts, and no longer have the car, I look for someone to give that stuff away.

Originally Posted by PandaBear

Where do you find the coefficients of friction information?

How about Honda DW-1 vs Maxlife vs Valvoline Mercon V? The reason I ask is I got 20 qt of Mercon V for $1 ea a few years back, was wondering what else can I use it with, or can I at least blend it with Maxlife (i.e. 2 maxlife 1 Mercon V) and use it in a Honda.

All all the ATF's mentioned are for transmissions which used GM AT's as their blueprint. All are DEXRON based.

All all the ATF's mentioned are for transmissions which used GM AT's as their blueprint. All are DEXRON based.

Honda A/Ts (excepting the _very_ newest one(s)) bear absolutely no resemblance to a GM (or Ford or Chrysler) A/T. You can see an exploded diagram of a Honda 5-speed in this thread:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5094202/honda-dw-1-voa#Post5095147

DW-1, like its predecessor Z-1, is not for a GM-type A/T. It is for a Honda transmission design only. Note that this does _not_ indicate that a fluid for a GM-type tranny cannot work in a Honda, only that the fluid for a Honda tranny is not for any other type.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back