Home selling/buying anxiety

I'm sure my house I'm currently selling is fine, but man I am freaking out! Buyer is doing a home inspection today (Friday) while I'm at work. Next house will be our "forever" house for sure, I can't do this again.

Remember, the home inspector is usually selected by the realtor, and a realtor won't hire someone who is too picky and shoots down sales. In my experience, they'll come back with some stuff, but not major.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722
I'm sure my house I'm currently selling is fine, but man I am freaking out! Buyer is doing a home inspection today (Friday) while I'm at work. Next house will be our "forever" house for sure, I can't do this again.

Relax. Everything is negotiable. Sure the inspection may find some things, but if the buyer really likes the house you can work out an agreement.

A friend of mine is getting a divorce and selling her home.. she posted on Facebook that it was sold, she has already had a few parties and was so very happy..

Financing fell through for the buyer.. as of now shes stuck in it till someone else comes along.

If/when the buyer asks for some repairs to be completed, be sure to require them to increase their deposit by the amount needed to perform the repairs. That way, if they breach the contract and do not "perform" (i.e., complete the sale), you'll likely keep their deposit and you don't have to come out of pocket to pay for repairs, etc. that were specifically requested by them.

Ed

Thanks guys! We're just eager to move, it's this hurry up then wait process from accepting an offer to closing that gets to me... they say patience is a virtue, which is something I don't have lol

I usually worry more about the buyer's loan falling through than the home inspection. I'm sure it'll all work out.

The inspector will probably find something. Repairing deficiencies is somewhat negotiable. If it's a minor issue, you fix it. If not, you can just say no.

For example the home inspector found a questionable ground fault plug-in and a so-so thermocouple on our gas furnace (it had always worked before and worked when we tested it later, but didn't work when the inspector tried it). We agreed to fix them both. On the other hand they said the insulation in the attic had settled and no longer had an R value of 40 which would be current code. It was now more like 35. We said we weren't prepared to do anything about it, and they were okay with that. Can you just imagine the cost and commotion of trying to add that extra little bit of insulation.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
A friend of mine is getting a divorce and selling her home.. she posted on Facebook that it was sold, she has already had a few parties and was so very happy..

Financing fell through for the buyer.. as of now shes stuck in it till someone else comes along.

That's why cash buyers expect a discount over financing or contingency buyers.

Last edited:

Unless the inspector they hired is Mike Holmes, relax you should be fine. If it's stressful for you, imagine how the buyers feel.

Originally Posted by JC1

Unless the inspector they hired is Mike Holmes, relax you should be fine. If it's stressful for you, imagine how the buyers feel.

Good point, I didn't think of that. If Mike Holmes showed up I'd faint
lol.gif

Who is Mike Holmes?

It is what it is. Try closing on a house from 6000 miles away.

There are always unexpected happenings during a home sale. The other side will make a big deal out of it. Don't fall into that trap.

Hope it all goes smoothly.

I have been waiting a few weeks for some landscaping to be done to add the WOW factor to the front of my home. After that the pictures get taken and house goes on the market. The biggest complaint a buyer will have is the crazy NY taxes, but they probably already know that.

We already own the house we are moving to, so we do not need to coordinate the sale or contingency. Selling the home also means fully retiring. So a lot to look forward to after house is sold.

Originally Posted by 4WD
I used to watch him on trips up north … loves knocking everything down and starting over …

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Holmes

Notice how he doesn't touch a tool or do work in any of his newer shows? "He supervises"
My BIL recently retired from being a home inspector in Toronto.
Said Holmes was banned in Ontario from working on construction due to shady past deals.
What you see on TV may not be what it seems.

Been involved in sale and purchase of several homes recently. Wife's place in November, our place we bought together in December, and my place I sold in April, plus a condo I bought few yrs ago.

My take on the home inspection phase of a real estate transaction is this: It's mostly Bee S. If you encounter an actual Professional in this field of endeavor, take note because you've made a rare find.

Back