Hunter Force Measurements

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had the dealer mount my new General RT43 Tires on my 245-50-20 Toyota OE alloys that has never seen a Northeast winter. I am disappointed with one tire that has generated 36 lbs of force. It took a 45g or 1.6 oz and a 10g or .35 oz weights. They moved the red flag tire to the passenger rear.

What are my options? Is this something I need to talk General Tire about?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Did they make any attempt to force match them, or just measure it?

I bet the 3 in double digit could all be reduced by a skilled tech... if thy haven't already done so.

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

I bet the 3 in double digit could all be reduced by a skilled tech... if thy haven't already done so.

I will ask on Monday if they were "forced matched".
You would think the technician would try to force match once it enters the red zone.

Originally Posted by MParr
Based on my past experience with the RT43, it's probably a bad tire. Was it made in Romania?

Unfortunately, made in the USA. I bought them in Jan 2019 with date code week 33 2018 and week 31 2018.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Veilside
Have them Rotate 1 and 4 on the rims and rebalance.

I probably need to read what I asked the forum earlier.
I forgot that I did my homework and even asked the question.

@ Veilside you are correct. I even posted the GM video.

Suggested Hunter Force Tire Values

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DuckRyder

I bet the 3 in double digit could all be reduced by a skilled tech... if they haven't already done so.

Doing so takes about 3x as much time ... remove from balance machine, remount on tire machine, break beads, rotate tire, reset beads, remove from tire machine, remount on balance machine, balance tire and check road force, remove from balance machine again ...

Many shops just leave it as is, and see if it comes back. In this example, the " bad tire ... " goes on the back, and the customer may not even notice anything unusual. Come rotation time, that could change ...

So ironic that a fancy Road Force Balancer machine is used inadequately.
Seriously, they find a fault and leave it because it takes time to remedy?
To knowingly let it go then "see if the customer returns" seems real lazy and dishonest.

Originally Posted by Kira
To knowingly let it go then "see if the customer returns" seems real lazy and dishonest.

Welcome to my world. While most people would do this differently, in the tire business, there are a lot of these folks.

Originally Posted by geeman789
...Doing so takes about 3x as much time ... remove from balance machine, remount on tire machine, break beads, rotate tire, reset beads, remove from tire machine, remount on balance machine, balance tire and check road force, remove from balance machine again ...

There are some new tire mounting machines that have match mounting capability on them, and allow the tech to get the lowest road force values before taking the assembly to a conventional balancer. A big time saver.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...7061/diagnostic-tire-changer#Post4887061

Last edited:

It's pathetic. The whole point of a RF balance is to identify AND make an attempt to correct high RF values. Looks like OP's shop didn't do the second part. If he just wanted a regular balance, he could've gone to Bubba's garage.

I had new tires put on recently and my shop remounted two of the tires to bring down the RF values. They said they shoot for

Originally Posted by mclasser

I had new tires put on recently and my shop remounted two of the tires to bring down the RF values. They said they shoot for div>

Singles digits is ideal, but some wheel tire combo's just won't get there. The other side of the coin is that some cars just aren't very sensitive to it, and others are OCD about it ... !

Update: Contacted the tire installer and she said the tire technician made three attempts (rotating the tire position along the rim) to minimize the road force reading. This is the best they could do. Meanwhile, I did contact SimpleTire(seller) and they are willing to send a replacement or a tire refund. They did request the installer's paperwork and a pictures.

I spoke with the TireRack customer service and they also will warranty for return if a tire exhibits a force greater than 26 lbs.

Looks like a refund and then a TireRack purchase.

The replacement tire arrived with a Dot date of. 1VY0F9A6K1219. Thai tire plant maybe????? I had TireRack customer service read off the already recorded DOT code, since the tire was sent directly to the tire installer.

The is week 21 so 1219 put this tire in the 1st pregnancy trimester..... 9 weeks Lol

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
The replacement tire arrived with a Dot date of. 1VY0F9A6K1219. Thai tire plant maybe????? …….

Nope! Sumter, SC

Ya' see, starting in April 2015, it is permissible to use a 3 digit plant code - and the first ones will begin with the number 1 followed by the existing 2 digit plant code.

Also, the DOT code can be divided up into segments, thusly: 1VY OF 9A6K 1219, where the first group is the plant code (2 or 3 digits), the second group is the size code (2 digits), the third grouping is the type code (3 or 4 digits) and the last grouping is the date code (4 digits - optional starting in mid 1999 and required in mid 2000).

The 3 digit plant code will be required in April 2025.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back