Help! (Accidentally) pulled driveshaft out of AT on Chevy Sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys, help! My friend and I were working on his 2012 Chevy Sonic, changing the passenger-side strut. After removing the stabilizer bar end link (where the top of the link bolts to the strut), the ABS line, and the brake line (both have rubber grommets that press into fittings on the strut), we took out the the two large bolts that secure the strut to the steering knuckle. The knuckle flopped out to the side, still hinged at the bottom to the ball joint/LCA and tie-rod end. Pretty normal I thought.

A few seconds later my friend noticed that there was ATF spilling onto the driveway. What the ... ???? I crawled under and found that the driveshaft had pulled out of the tranny when the knuckle flopped outwards. I pushed it back into place, the leaking stopped, and we reinstalled everything. (We were a bit freaked out, it's getting on in the day, and we want to make sure things are OK with the tranny before doing any other work.)

My questions:

Is it likely I did any damage to the seal when the driveshaft popped out of the tranny? It seemed to go back in fine. The car was not running at the time, so I presume this leakage was from the "axle" part of the transaxle, and is not under pressure. We have not run the car yet. I guess we need to top up the fluid and then check for leaks before doing a road test.

To confound things, the car does not have a dipstick. There is a fill cap on the tranny, but unfortunately I don't know how much we lost. I would guess between half a quart and a full quart.

Any advice much appreciated!

No on the damage. That's how the axles come out.

I'm sure google will tell you how to check your level.

I did the exact same thing on my 2006 Toyota Sienna a while back after changing ball joints. The half shaft must have been unseated while doing the work and then came out while driving up the street. I didn't realize the issue until my tranny lost so much fluid that it wouldn't propel the car forward any more. I coasted downhill back home, noticing the significant trail of AFT that I had left on my way out. I was also a little freaked out about the incident and thought that this could be the end for the well used van. I cleaned, reinstalled and seated the half shaft following advice that I got from this site. I then changed the fluids on both the tranny and diff and all has been well for several years. On my car there is potential for the tranny fluid to contaminate the diff fluid (or vice-versa, can't recall), so I changed them both.

Research on how to make sure that the tranny fluid is at the correct level. Top off or change your fluids and don't sweat it.

Good luck.

As long as the CV shaft is back in place and locked into the housing I don't think there will be an issue. Honda civics are like that.

Make sure you too up the ATF with the proper fluid. You'll have to google on how to fill that tranny and check the fluid level.

If you dont have a dipstick to check level then you usually need to add a little more than you think you'll need and find the check bolt and remove it and the fluid will drain out until it slows considerably and reinsert the check bolt and you should be fine. Many manufacturers will call for the fluid to be a certain temperature before removing the check bolt.

Fellows, thanks so much for the fast and encouraging responses. We found no additional leakage after the car had sat for awhile, added about half a quart of Dex VI ATF, started the car, and checked for leaks while it idled. It was OK, so we went for a test drive. I'm not sure whether it's a 4- or 5-speed automatic, but in any case it seems to be shifting through all the gears fine - on the highway at around 100 km/hr (60 MPH) the engine is only running @ around 2200 RPM (which seems pretty good for a small (1.8 l) engine) so it's apparently finding high gear and the TC is locking up.

Next up we'll get back to replacing that 2nd strut, and then at some point we'll figure out how to check the ATF. There's no dipstick, but per one YouTube poster there is a check plug on the side, similar to a manual transmission. (Dbias, thanks for confirming!) I imagine the car needs to be level, and I presume that unlike a conventional automatic, the fluid is checked without the engine running. I don't know whether the fluid should be cold or at operating temperature.

But in any case, the bullet seems to have been dodged. What I don't understand (but will not complain about) is how the shaft just popped back into the transaxle with no trouble and no seal damage. I would have expected there to be at least a retaining clip.

There should be a little c clip riding in a groove at the end of the shaft. But It doesn't take much at all to pop them out! Funny thing is, if you had wanted to remove it, it probably would've decided to be stubborn!

Now you know how to change drive shaft when you need to. Just kidding. Seriously as long as you only pull one side out at a time instead of both, you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back