2004 Mercruiser 5.0 MPI, 120 hours on engine, unknown oil and time on oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking of purchasing this boat. Unknown oil (assuming Qucksilver 25w40 based on spare bottles stored near boat). No idea how long the oil was in service. The boat was fired up for about 10 minutes, which was the first start of the year, prior to taking the sample. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

OilSample.png

Water contamination in the oil?

Run.

Don't buy anything without a sea trial and a pre-purchase inspection. If it's an expensive boat pay for a survey.

Feel free to PM me with any questions. I went through the whole used boat buying process last year.

Sea Trial and inspection and survey were all done. Like I mentioned, this was the first time the engine had been fired up for the year, and it was only run 10 minutes or so. I suspect the water was caused by the short run and condensation. The boat ran great on the sea trial.

How long did you run it on the sea trial? Did you let it get up to temp? What'd the surveyor say about the engine?

What boat is the motor in?

I'd be wary of an 04 with that low of hours. Also I think the 04 Mercruisers had a lot of issues with stalling/hard to start: https://www.google.com/search?q=200...042j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Overall that's a good engine though. Once you go EFI you'll never go back to a carb.

The sea trial was done this past Wednesday, which was a few days after the oil sample was taken. We were in the water more than an hour with the engine running. With the exception of cheap spark plugs being present, the technical thought the engine was in great shape. I should have mentioned that a compression test was also done. PSI readings were 160, 165, 160, 170, 155, 150, 165,160

Every time we have started the engine, it turned over without hesitation (8 or so times total since I have been on it). I could tell it was the first run of the year due to the pink antifreeze initially flowing out. Its on a Bayliner 265 with a Bravo 3.

Sounds like a healthy motor. It's definitely possible the water was from condensation. In fact, I went to check on my boat a few weeks ago when it was foggy out, and the entire boat was covered in moisture. Even under the engine hatch, the entire engine was covered in moisture. So it is very possible. I guess this is why Volvo recommends oil spraying the engine and drive before winter layup.

Anyway, if it ran 100% on the sea trial, and the rest of the boat is in good shape, and it's not overpriced, it sounds like a winner.

Post pics if you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back