Grocery Shopping Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite time is 9 am, there's REALLY nobody there.
banana2.gif

Originally Posted by John_K
My favorite time is 9 am, there's REALLY nobody there.
banana2.gif

The store around here is PACKED at 9 AM. I drive by it on the way to the office every morning.

Originally Posted by blupupher
going during the workday makes it much easier. I hate going shopping on weekends or evenings, one of the perks of working 3 12 hour shifts a week.

On weekends I won't even go near the grocery store unless absolutely necessary.

I always make a shopping list and put the items in order as they are placed around the store. (I go to the same 2-3 stores most of the time.) So I can go down the list in order and pick up all the needed items very quickly and then get the [censored] out of there. I try to go before 10am or after 8pm. Also, self-checkout is much slower than the regular stands, but if you like to monitor item prices then you have to be quick at the regular stands. Or just try to distract the cute checkout girl with some witty banter and maybe her checking will slow down... that's how you know you got her
wink.gif

I go love-food-shopping with my wife. It's a romantic mission and quality time together. We go Friday night around 7pm. Not too crowded but not too late that the cashiers are sent home. We wear our NFL colors and meet other shoppers in their colors and discuss how the virtues of our favorite teams exceed the other teams'.

Originally Posted by bmod305
Use Walmart grocery pickup-greatest thing since sliced bread.

Dave

Agreed. Unfortunately the store I go to doesn't offer pickup, and the nearest one is an extra 30 minute drive.

Originally Posted by DGXR
I always make a shopping list and put the items in order as they are placed around the store. (I go to the same 2-3 stores most of the time.) So I can go down the list in order and pick up all the needed items very quickly and then get the [censored] out of there. I try to go before 10am or after 8pm. Also, self-checkout is much slower than the regular stands, but if you like to monitor item prices then you have to be quick at the regular stands. Or just try to distract the cute checkout girl with some witty banter and maybe her checking will slow down... that's how you know you got her
wink.gif

The list in order of items around the store is the best way to save time for sure. Our store is small and doesn't have self checkout, but the employees are usually fairly quick to scan and bag everything.

Another good time saver is to buy the "grab n go" meats that the deli has out for the day. I've passed people at the deli, and when I was checking out 10 minutes later, they were still waiting in line at the deli!

Either my wife does it during that odd time of day when it's kinda dead in the store, or I go between 2-4am. Night shift has some perks!

I use the Fred Meyers app when shopping. The shopping list is by aisle and add digital coupons to save more money. They have 55+ days and veteran days which take another 10% off of store brands and other items.

By shopping there I get rewards points I use to get discounts on their gasoline. Once I was able to get 70¢ off a gallon. Every little bit helps.

Fred Meyer is a store run by Kroger here in the PNW. They have been around for ages and you can buy everything there just like Wally's or Costco. FM was first in that concept.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Go on a empty stomach. I can't get motivated to grocery shop when I'm not hungry.

Actually the recommendation is that you not go grocery shopping on an empty stomach. Seems that if you do that, you buy too much stuff and you're more susceptible to impulse buying.

Originally Posted by Chris142
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I have been 'mostly' shopping at ALDI the past month.. keeps me out of the oil aisle.

Terrible fruit and veggis there!

Aldi is known for their all organic produce.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back