Why hasn't someone made a more efficient filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not even the limit on each OCI ... if I have a $60k vehicle with DI ... and it started out with 0w20 ... I'm not waiting until fuel diluted oil takes it's toll

Well, I look at the special "STI" oil filters from Tokyo Roki and wonder about the cost/benefit analysis.
I think the only distinguishing features of those filters were;
1. They were pretty in pink, and
2. They weighed a lot.
AFAIK, they did not advertise any special filtering capabilities.
I first saw them for about $50 a few years back, but think I saw some on "clearance" for ~$30 a while ago.
They are pretty!
(image upload failed...?)

They are made for diesel applications (centrifuge units, & Stratapore Venturi integral bypass types), but for a modern, EFI, maintained gasoline application-they could likely make it to 200K+ all day long on any old generic made in China PG or equivalent. Where is the DEMAND from the automotive public for a big $ bypass system when the great majority just runs whatever hunk of junk that Jiffy Lube puts on it? And gets rid of the vehicle before it makes a difference?

They probably easily could. But the average consumer is not going to buy them. They want the cheaper oil change. The dealers won't want them, they only need to get through warranty.

Only some of us here would run it. I'm sure the marketing brains at the major companies already know this.

Originally Posted by geeman789
Originally Posted by Patman
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
Will more efficient filters restrict flow too much?

Considering how well the Fram Ultra flows in it's current form, couldn't they just tweak that media a little bit in order to filter even better, while not compromising flow by much?

How WELL do Fram Ultra's flow ? Good enough seems to be the standard answer, as Fram makes no claims about flow in the Ultra line.

They DO, however, advertise flow in their RACING filter line up ... from Fram's website

" ... Low-restriction racing media designed for high oil flow. The media features 94% efficiency @20 microns for excellent engine protection. "

And, where flow is optimized, filtration is compromised. Not sure there is any way around that.

You must have missed this recent thread:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5104536/1

Considering how well the Fram Ultra flows in it's current form, couldn't they just tweak that media a little bit in order to filter even better, while not compromising flow by much?

How WELL do Fram Ultra's flow ? Good enough seems to be the standard answer, as Fram makes no claims about flow in the Ultra line.

They DO, however, advertise flow in their RACING filter line up ... from Fram's website

" ... Low-restriction racing media designed for high oil flow. The media features 94% efficiency @20 microns for excellent engine protection. "

And, where flow is optimized, filtration is compromised. Not sure there is any way around that.

Gee its that bad you must be able to document 1000's of engines using the Ultra's that have burned up please also post pictures .

Call Purolator and ask what the pure ones rated at 20um. If the agent on the phone knows what he's talking about [censored] tell you 99.9%
We also had the mg which is all kinds of Superior if you can still get any for your paticular use.

I don't think you would want it to be 100% efficient then it would be to restrictive and the motor may not get the proper amount of lubrication.

I did the Injen Dryflow Nano filter with a old drycharger and a pantyhose wrap and am content with where it stands. Also running the Fram Ultra 7317 for over 20k miles and the oil analysis and Dr.Adam cutting them open for me shows that what I am doing is working. Find a good filter like the AEM dryflow panel and use a synthetic media oil filter and you are in good shape. Guess you could add on a filter mag too but with magnetic drain plugs either on cars or aftermarket its about all that can be done.

Originally Posted by Warstud
I don't think you would want it to be 100% efficient then it would be to restrictive and the motor may not get the proper amount of lubrication.

No what I want is a 99.5% efficient at 10 microns and I'll use it as a bypass filter and it isn't going to stop any flow.

I think semi truck filters have lower micron filters but I don't know. I'm a trucker but don't get into the oil change side of it as there's paid mechanics that deal with that. But I believe one of them mentioned having 8 or 10 micron oil filters. Maybe that's why a highway diesel can last a million miles and passenger car engines can't? Who knows.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Gee its that bad you must be able to document 1000's of engines using the Ultra's that have burned up please also post pictures .

Gee, it's too bad you missed the GOOD ENOUGH part in the above quote ... my point was simply that Fram promotes FILTRATION ( and longevity ) in the Ultra line, and seems to promote FLOW ( plus robust construction with decent filtration ) in the Racing line.

... my point was simply that Fram promotes FILTRATION ( and longevity ) in the Ultra line, and seems to promote FLOW ( plus robust construction with decent filtration ) in the Racing line.

The flow vs delta-p shows to be about the same between the Ultra and the racing filter. You can have both high efficiency and flow with low delta-p.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Whatever happened to those … any users still here ?

Yep, I had a bunch of them for my Fusion and several for my Honda and Subies. I used one of the 3/4-16s and three of the 20mm ones. There were no real changes in UOA, but the oil did stay clearer longer and did not go dark on paper towels until just before the OCI was going to be up anyways.

I only have one 20mm filter left; I sold all the 3/4-16s to another board member and all my sizes are out of stock on Amazon. I hope the board member does some UOAs with PCs or at least C&Ps them when used. I'd still buy them at $10 each.

wasnt there a theory awhile back that oil filters become more efficient with time and use up until they are loaded?

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
... my point was simply that Fram promotes FILTRATION ( and longevity ) in the Ultra line, and seems to promote FLOW ( plus robust construction with decent filtration ) in the Racing line.

The flow vs delta-p shows to be about the same between the Ultra and the racing filter. You can have both high efficiency and flow with low delta-p.

Do you believe the posted numbers ? Those manufacturer provided figures seem just a little too consistent ... maybe the 3 gpm flow rate is too low to see any meaningful differences in flow restriction.

From a practical standpoint today's typical car and small-truck engines seem to easily last up to and beyond 200,000 miles with nothing but Cheapy lube oil changes and no-name filters. At that point, much of the rest of the mechanical bits and pieces have either been replaced or will need to be, meaning it is more costly than just buying another vehicle. In the Northeast, the body and frame will be rotted out and need replacing too. It is always possible to build in greater longevity, but it just isn't practical from a cost/benefit standpoint. Personally, I've never junked a car because the engine was failing, and I've never had a major engine failure.

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
From a practical standpoint today's typical car and small-truck engines seem to easily last up to and beyond 200,000 miles with nothing but Cheapy lube oil changes and no-name filters. At that point, much of the rest of the mechanical bits and pieces have either been replaced or will need to be, meaning it is more costly than just buying another vehicle. In the Northeast, the body and frame will be rotted out and need replacing too. It is always possible to build in greater longevity, but it just isn't practical from a cost/benefit standpoint. Personally, I've never junked a car because the engine was failing, and I've never had a major engine failure.

Really how much more is the more efficient filter going to cost 50 cents or fifty dollars? My bet is under 50 cents. For a buck I'd switch to any filter that was documented as giving 100,000 more miles.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by AuthorEditor

Really how much more is the more efficient filter going to cost 50 cents or fifty dollars? My bet is under 50 cents. For a buck I'd switch to any filter that was documented as giving 100,000 more miles.

Is there a documented study showing any particular filter can "give 100,000 more miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back