Aldi, bike stands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a Bikemate bike stand at Aldi grocery store,,,hey, for 25 bucks its a great stand and a head lamp and tail lamps were 4.99 a set with blinking head lamp and tail light,,amazing..check it out

old video

Last edited:
For Christmas I got a "Bikemate Trainer" from ALDI.
I put it down in the basement and I did some good riding this winter. I believe it cost ~$50.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
For Christmas I got a "Bikemate Trainer" from ALDI.
I put it down in the basement and I did some good riding this winter. I believe it cost ~$50.

thumbsup2.gif

Once in a while Aldi will have some weird stuff completely unrelated to groceries, often at a great price.

A few years ago, I spotted a 8-gallon oil-lubed air compressor (some unknown probably Chinese brand) for $59. I didn't need another air compressor, but for $59, heck I could put one in the basement or a second location instead of having to unreel hose from the garage or carry portable air tanks around.

That compressor is probably 8-9 years old now and still running fine, in fact I use it as much as I do my main compressor.

Also is an interesting store. They're popping up all over. Think they own Trader Joe's too.

Lidl is my preference in foreign supermarkets honestly... but that's neither here nor there...

My local Aldi sells strange stuff too. Ive seen tool kits there, which may be useful. A bike stand for $25 is a good deal. Ive wanted one for a while - need to go have a look.

I also bought a gas grill from ALDI for $99 several years ago and I've had this one longer than any other. Just a coincidence I'm sure.

2,000 mile round trip, that bumps the price a tad. Otherwise I'd be all over that.

Aldi HQ'ed in Batavia, IL and Trader Joes in CA somewhere IIRC. I think one brother runs (ran) the Aldi US operations and the other Trader Joes.

A quick look at Wikipedia indicates there was an Aldi Nord and an Aldi Süd, each Albrecht brother having one, so the same family, but different brothers if I understand correctly.

Trader Joe's is part of Aldi Nord, while the US Aldi stores are part of Aldi Süd.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theo_Albrecht

Originally Posted by JHZR2
Also is an interesting store. They're popping up all over. Think they own Trader Joe's too.

Lidl is my preference in foreign supermarkets honestly... but that's neither here nor there...

My local Aldi sells strange stuff too. Ive seen tool kits there, which may be useful. A bike stand for $25 is a good deal. Ive wanted one for a while - need to go have a look.

On to the bike stand. I've had one for about a year or maybe two now. I doubt it would hold up to daily use in a bike shop. But for the home enthusiast who wants to put their bike on a stand to clean it after a ride, change tires and what not every so often, it's a good value.

I used mine yesterday after a wet ride to clean things up and make some front derailleur adjustments as it wasn't reliably shifting to the big ring, not to mention it dropped the chain once shifting down to the smaller cog for an impending hill (or as much of a hill as we have in the Midwest anyway.)

I think I'd look at other lights. The cheap lights just don't seem to offer the visibility of some of the more pricey options.

The $5 lights might be nice "toys" for the kids bikes. But I don't think they are going to offer the same light output as $50-$100 worth of lights.

I think I have about $80 in my set of front and rear lights. I want my lights to make me visible during the day, not just night.

I run a Hotshot Pro 150 USB - Cygolite in back and a Magnus Innovation Vision II USB Bike 1000 lumen light up front. Both are rechargeable and both have multiple modes. I usually run the rear as a strobe and the front strobes in daylight and I keep it on solid if I ride at night.

They are worlds apart from the cheap lights offered in discount stores.

Originally Posted by CourierDriver
Just bought a Bikemate bike stand at Aldi grocery store,,,hey, for 25 bucks its a great stand and a head lamp and tail lamps were 4.99 a set with blinking head lamp and tail light,,amazing..check it out

Nice buy! I have had a Park Tool clamp w/o stand for about 10 years, and had it fastened to my work bench, but found I was never using it. I finally, just a few weeks ago, built a wooden stand for it out of leftover lumber and some scraps. It isn't pretty, but I'm sure using it a lot. I haul it outdoors because I way prefer to work outdoors in good light.

Aldi sold out of the head and taillights for 5 bucks each...ours are still working n doing well...bike stands are still being stocked..lots of helments left.

Originally Posted by 92saturnsl2
Once in a while Aldi will have some weird stuff completely unrelated to groceries, often at a great price...

I bought my mechanic's creeper there many years ago for $19.99.

It's outlasted 2 other "name" creepers that I've owned.

Sounds like a good deal, but I don't trust myself around the floor stand, I KNOW I'll trip over it sooner rather than later.

I just got a bench mount from Amazon for $35 last week. I can remove the arm so it doesn't stick out, also clamp it to the top tube and then lift it and the bike together onto the base. It swivels and rotates as well, but rotation involves removing the arm from the base (as least it does for me).

I tested it with a yardsale find Schwinn MTB, if it will hold that hunk of iron, it'll hold anything!

venzo.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back