Oil in the toolbox

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks:

I now have a few trucks which have toolboxes on them. I usually keep a quart or two of oil in the toolbox just to have in case I ever need to add any or help someone out etc.

Where I live will begin to see temps in the 90's everyday, so I'm sure the inside of the metal toolbox on the bed will easily reach over 100+F inside the toolbox while the truck is in the sun.

Will this lower the quality of the oil any? I know oils see temps much higher than this in the motor, but it would be flowing around, not sitting still in a plastic container.

Overall, I guess I'm asking if the constant fluctuation of temps, 50-60's nights and 90+ days, will hurt the oil while it's just sitting in the toolbox.

Am I overthinking? Is it really any different than a parked car with oil in the pan? The only difference being the oil is in a plastic bottle?

Thanks in advance

I almost never have less than a couple of quarts of oil in the trunk of my car, and that gets pretty hot on a summer day. I'm pretty sure that oil will be just fine as long as you use it up once in awhile. Make sure it is tightly capped.

Floyd1 said:
Hello folks:

Am I overthinking? YES Is it really any different than a parked car with oil in the pan? NO The only difference being the oil is in a plastic bottle? YES, PUT IT IN A ZIPLOC BAG.

[/quote

That range of temperatures over any reasonable period is no issue but I would suggest you always use that oil for your next change. It's an easy enough thing to do and that way it won't sit there "forever". If nothing else, the container will stay in better shape.

only problem I can see is the bottle leaking due to expansion in the heat , otherwise all should be good

I've got bottles of oil in an aluminum diamondplate TSC bed box that have been in there 20+ years. They have lasted just fine.

As said, I would put them in plastic bags just in case (although the plastic bags would probably deteriorate before the bottles), and would rotate the oil in the box on the next oil changes if not used in a year or so.

That said, I carry a qt of oil under my hood by the firewall in my F150 for top off's (it uses 1 qt every 1500 miles or so). I have been refilling the same bottle for 3 years now and the bottle is still fine. It does feel a little softer than same bottles that are sitting on the shelf in my garage, but no leaking or cracking.

You're fine, just use up this oil at the next service and put some fresh bottles back in the tool box. If you do this rotation at every service it will never go bad.
I keep a jug of oil in my dirt bike gear bag and use that first when service is due. Replace the jug as needed. All good.

I once left a small metal can of touchup paint on top of the dash in the Florida sun. The lid blew of and made a big mess on the dash and carpet. Don't think oil is that volatile.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by Floyd1
Am I overthinking?

Yes. You're going to fit right in here.

thumbsup2.gif
Just use the oil for your next change and rotate stock. . .

Originally Posted by atikovi
I once left a small metal can of touchup paint on top of the dash in the Florida sun. The lid blew of and made a big mess on the dash and carpet. Don't think oil is that volatile.

Paint often contains thinners and solvents that will boil at relatively low temperatures.

Originally Posted by atikovi

I used to carry gas line antifreeze (methyl hydrate) in a "single dose" plastic container in my glove compartment. I didn't think to take it out in the summer and later noticed that the originally flat bottom of the container was bulging. It didn't leak but there must have been some increased pressure.

Thanks folks. This site makes me second guess everything, but that's what keeps me coming back, am I right?

You are right, Floyd. Although much anecdotal, the information shared here makes one think and contemplate.

Only one way to find out. Get a thermometer and see how hot it gets in there. A remote thermometer for BBQ will do. Don't climb into the tool box, on the hottest day of the year, with a hand held thermometer, and have a buddy lock you in for 9 hours.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Originally Posted by Floyd1
Am I overthinking?

Yes. You're going to fit right in here.

lol, yes after this post, he is an official member ...
grin2.gif

Ziploc bag for a possible leak is not a bad idea!

Last edited:
Maybe he is not overthinking this ...
shocked2.gif

This is from one of the oils on the market:

"Storage:
All packages should be stored under cover. Where outside storage is unavoidable drums should be laid horizontally to avoid the possible ingress of water and damage to drum markings. Products should not be stored above 60°C, exposed to hot sun or freezing conditions. "

Not to exceed 140°F (60°C) or freezing conditions!

Originally Posted by OilUzer
Maybe he is not overthinking this ...
shocked2.gif

This is from one of the oils on the market:

"Storage:
All packages should be stored under cover. Where outside storage is unavoidable drums should be laid horizontally to avoid the possible ingress of water and damage to drum markings. Products should not be stored above 60°C, exposed to hot sun or freezing conditions. "

Not to exceed 140°F (60°C) or freezing conditions!

Hmmmm....well then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back