Thread Sealant For Transmission Lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is thread sealant supposed to be used on the transmission lines fittings going into the radiator? If so, what do you use?

Does the fitting you are working with not have a compression washer or rubber sealing gasket? Most do.

I've always put some teflon tape on the threads. Even if it's not needed it ensures that the lines can be removed pretty easily in the future.

The factory service manual for my 2003 Crown Victoria specifically advises AGAINST using Teflon tape on the fittings at the transmission. Says it could cause the case to crack. YMMV.

When I replaced the radiator on my 94 F150, the transmission cooler lines wouldn't stop sleeping until I put a little of the liquid Teflon on the threads. Been good for the last 3-4 years now.

Pieces of the Teflon tape could get lose and cause issues, but the liquid stuff seems to be better. Just a small dab, and the act of threading it in distributes it well. The fittings on the replacement radiator might not be an exact match to the fittings on the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back