Rotella T4 15-40, 2017 Ram 6.7, 4815, 35121

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure I'm too impressed with this report considering the short interval. I've been holding oil changes short on this truck since it was new (5k max) because of my concerns about fuel dilution and soot loading. Flashpoint of 420* indicates some fuel dilution right? (I know Blackstone can't properly measure it). This is on a vehicle that recommends a 15k interval.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 141
Originally Posted by Sgg93
Not sure I'm too impressed with this report considering the short interval. I've been holding oil changes short on this truck since it was new (5k max) because of my concerns about fuel dilution and soot loading. Flashpoint of 420* indicates some fuel dilution right? (I know Blackstone can't properly measure it). This is on a vehicle that recommends a 15k interval.

Thoughts?

Flashpoint looks great, didnt shear, TBN still high..

Here is a VOA for reference
http://pqiadata.org/Shell_Rotella_T4_15W40_752018.html

Well for reference, on my 2017 3500. Running the full 24,000km index, lots of cold weather driving, idling and so on, I had less than 1% soot (Cummins specs 3% max) and 2.87% fuel (5% max). This was running PetroCan Duron 10w30.

Nothing wrong with that report.
thumbsup2.gif
If the engine and emissions system is stock, there's nothing to worry about unless there's something malfunctioning; and to me, taking regular oil samples to monitor performance is just part of owning an expensive diesel engine. There are plenty of labs and I would use one that actually measures soot and fuel; or at least can measure fuel if viscosity suggests a lot of it.

There may have been a little fuel in your sample, but nothing to worry about. The aluminum and potassium are being leached from the intercooler. My Detroit (at 400k miles) is still showing some aluminum and potassium with each analysis. I don't recall Ford and GM diesels showing such high levels of aluminum/potassium (maybe some), but apparently the Cummins powered Ram has an intercooler with a brazing flux compound containing those elements.

You could easily take advantage of the Cummins 15k mile interval without concern. At least until you get an oil analysis that says otherwise, even if you're hauling/towing heavy. BrianF has posted UOA from his Cummins/Ram at 15k miles after using it for genuine work.

Last edited:
I may pull a sample (I have a fumoto) at 15k and send it in. I'm planning on switching to Fleetguard filters too, either stratapore or their combo/bypass one. I've got a good bit of service to do at 50k anyway (trans and tcase, front and rear diffs).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back