Oil filter alternatives

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 24hp Briggs Intek and was wondering if the FL400A filter will work? I know it is much longer than the OEM but I have some leftover filters from my long departed Ford Ranger. Are there any better alternatives to avoid the over priced B&S filter ?

Last edited:
If there is room, by all means use it.
Any alternative is better than a 12 dollar thimble that B&S thinks is a filter.
I run the 3614 size, and still have a couple 1.00 ecore SuperTech in the stash.

It should as long as you have the clearance. The Fram filter for that engine is the 3614, and the FL400A is the same as the Fram 3600 filter, which is the longer version of the 3614 by about 1-1/2".

L8R,
Matt

Originally Posted by AnthemBassMan
It should as long as you have the clearance. The Fram filter for that engine is the 3614, and the FL400A is the same as the Fram 3600 filter, which is the longer version of the 3614 by about 1-1/2".

L8R,
Matt

The Fram 3600 is what I have been using on my 22HP Briggs which is almost the same. No issues and oil is much cleaner than when the Briggs filter was on it. I do use sythetic oil as well. Switching it to a Fram Ultra on the next oil change.

My mom's 17HP Kohler Courage uses a 3/4-16 thread as well, and there was room for a 3600-series filter. So it got an XG3600 since I sold my Fusion. It's about 3 times the size of the Kohler filter, and it's close... but mo' filtah mo' bettah. I'll bet it's the cleanest Kohler engine out there! Now to just figure how to plumb a sandwich adapter, XG3600, and a Frantz bolted behind the seat... I'd never have to change the oil again!
lol.gif

That's funny … we have two V8's that share filter stock … but our Fusion shares filters with a 19 HP B&S
wink.gif

I've been using the Puroilator equivalent to the Fram 3614 on my 22HP Intek since about 2005 with no complaints.

I hope you follow the Kohler instructions and prefill that filter on the courage engines.

Rod

Last edited:
If the filter is base up it matters very little just increases oil capacity and amount needed to fill. If base down use the oe size.

I ran that filter on a Murray with a Briggs motor. I thought it looked cool the way it stuck out. Had to show the neighbor who only bought Ford trucks.

Thanks for the suggestions. Still not sure about an FL400 clearing the hood, if not I will go the 3614 route.

I use an $7 B&S filter, (Walmart or Amazon), on my 20HP INTEK engine. I change it with 10w30 Synthetic oil at ~ the recommended 50 hours of use. I probably could use a cheaper filter and save $2 over two years running but, it's my way. Ed

I've been using the XG3600 for the past 3 seasons on my Kohler Command 25 hp. The 5w40 Delo still looks about the same as new after a full season of use. It may be wasteful, but I change the oil and filter every year. Cheap insurance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back