Followup to 2001 Impala front end noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of days ago I posted a thread that our 2001 Impala with 111,000 miles was making a squeak noise while moving during a right turn or while breaking. I took it to my mechanic today, he took it for a test ride and phoned one of his men to give me a ride home while he was still driving it. A half hour later he called me and told me he was sitting at a light on his way back to my house to drop the car off to me. And that his mother was following him to take him back to his shop after he dropped the car off. I asked him how much do I owe him and he said "nothing, the heat shield had rusted and bent and was rubbing" and he fixed it. Five minutes later he delivered the car and I gave him a $20 and said thanks.

I had told him I did not think it was the brake pads because he had replaced the front pads about 8 months ago and they now had about 4,000 miles on them. Over the last couple of years he has worked on that car many times for many things, It was nice of him to offer to do the repair for free because he thought it was something very minor. The noise that sounded like a brake squealer rubbing while turning or breaking had me very concerned. I did not know what was wrong with it, I though the car might be unsafe to drive at highway speeds and was worried about some kind of catastrophic failure.

Although the various repairs on that car over the last couple of years have cost a lot, it seams my mechanic is honest.

Last edited:
thumbsup2.gif

Sounds like you've got a quality shop and good people there....

Not many folks like that, you better keep him. And it was nice of you to offer him money.
Not a lot of folks like you either. Many folks would have offered nothing.

Sounds like he may have bent the shield during the brake job, realized it and made it right. Good integrity there.

Sounds like a stand up guy. Not only did he fix it for free, but also delivered the car to your house. Keep giving him your business, we need to support honest indy shops, in times where everyone seems to prefer big chain where your experience is important, not the quality of their work.

Originally Posted by KrisZ
Sounds like a stand up guy. Not only did he fix it for free, but also delivered the car to your house. Keep giving him your business, we need to support honest indy shops, in times where everyone seems to prefer big chain where your experience is important, not the quality of their work.

Right on ^^^^^^^^

Originally Posted by Ihatetochangeoil
So nice to hear something POSITIVE!!!

Got that right ^^^^^^^^^

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GMBoy
Sounds like he may have bent the shield during the brake job, realized it and made it right. Good integrity there.

+1

Quick story if you don't mind... Mid 70's I was working as an apprentice mechanic at a Texaco station -small neighborhood shop. Guy with a brand new Cadillac and expensive looking girlfriend pulls into the shop and he's frantic because his girlfriend is totally annoyed about an occasional squeaking noise. The guy says it only happens once every 5 or 10 minutes of driving -but it's driving him (and the expensive girlfriend) nuts.

I was on lunch break and asked if I could eat my sandwich while he drove the car and I listened. We drive for a few minutes and sure enough, I heard the noise and told him to go back to the station. Removed and re-centered the hub cap so the valve stem cap wouldn't catch on the edge of the hubcap every time the car hit a bump...

The guy was happy about my effort and since it was my lunch break time (off the clock), I didn't charge him. He came back 20 minutes later and put a $50 bill in my hand. That was a huge sum of money at that time.

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back