Tesla Model 3 Owners Only - Thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just test drove a "Standard Plus" Model 3 today with Autopilot. I have to say, it far exceeded my expectations. I was very impressed by the driving experience, the user interface, autopilot, acceleration, and how quiet it was.

Any bitog Model 3 owners care to share your thoughts/review?

Non-Tesla owners, please save your opinions for another thread, we know where you stand regarding all things Tesla.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Non-Tesla owners, please save your opinions for another thread, we know where you stand regarding all things Tesla.

Sorry but I'm a non-Tesla owner, had to jump in to say that I would own one- but it's not in the budget.

I think they've done a great job on their vehicles and hope the company's around for a long long time.

You need BITEG.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
Perhaps if you want answers from only the Elon-worshipping echo chamber, you should have posted on a Tesla forum.

Give it 24 hours...they'll be here...riding on their unicorns

Unicorn time! Where will you get it repaired when it breaks? Doesn't seem to be a lot of dealership service departments around? They won't sell anyone else parts... Oh, I'm sorry, I'm not allowed to have an opinion!

Even the small town Kia buyers here have learned that …
they may have a good warranty, but the dealership is 60 miles each away …

This thread went about how I expected...

I wouldn't exactly consider a $30-35k car (base model, without and with AP, respectively, after tax credits) a "rich man's toy.

The Model 3 is not for everyone.
Our car was like $62K out the door, less with tax credit.
But forget about the high cost for a second...

The car is software driven; some will struggle with that.
I find that young people take to the car easily while less computer savvy adults struggle.
You kinda need to relearn your driving. It's different.

After a spin in the Model 3 and then jumping in the GS or RX, I find the Lexus overly complicated.
The Model 3 is uncluttered; beauty in its simplicity. If you have an open mind, that is.

Charging... Depending on where you live, it could be a challenge.
In Silicon Valley, companies offer free or subsidized charging.
Many people never charge at home. Pretty nice.
Also, superchargers are all over Silicon Valley and growing.
On the weekends there can be lines to get on one!
Solar panels are the way to go if you charge at home.

Range... If you charge at work or home you save a ton of time as compared to weekly trips to the gas station.
Going further than 200 miles is a challenge; the car will plan your trip but compared to the RX, the Model 3 falls short.
But is clearly doable; you learn.

Is it a toy? Yes. No one needs a car like this.
You could buy almost 3 Civics for the price of 1 Model 3.
You could say the same for our other cars as well.

My 2 cents?
The Model 3 is fantastic; it is the future.
It is so much more than electric.
When we bought the car, 0 to 60 was like 5.6 seconds.
After an overnight software update, it was reduced to 5.2 seconds and we got another 20 miles of range.
AP will blow your mind.
OP said it far exceeded his expectations; it will continue to do so. Then another software update will come...
The car is green; that matters to me. Vegan leather... Ha!
The Model 3 is just plain cool. It will put a smile on your face.

Did I mention the acceleration?

Jeff

Why do you say that solar panels are the way to go for recharging? Most cars are gone during the day and recharge at night. I understand the feel good aspect of using solar, but isn't equally beneficial whether you use the electricity to power your home or sell power to the grid?

They can sell to the grid in daytime and build meter credit … my BiL powered up a massive petrochemical plant and remained a profit center doing something similar on a large scale …

Getting parts and fixing something yourself will be next to impossible...........
I would not own one.................

Think about it - - those batteries will not last forever - - -- - The motors will last a loooooong time.........but not their power source.

All my battery devices eventually end up recycled. - - - - - -Hydrogen is the TRUE future for our transportation needs on this planet. Not acid based batteries.

Originally Posted by Burt
Jeff

Why do you say that solar panels are the way to go for recharging? Most cars are gone during the day and recharge at night. I understand the feel good aspect of using solar, but isn't equally beneficial whether you use the electricity to power your home or sell power to the grid?

Yes, as 4WD posted. You bank power through the grid.
I send from 20 to 35 kWh to PGE daily and use much less. Generation is towards the lower end in the winter months.
I true up once a year; my cost will be $10 per month to be on the grid and zero for electricity.

Of course sunny Silicon Valley is a natural for solar power; other places not as much so.

The larger point is how to charge for free or close to it.
In my area, work and local cities subsidize charging as a way to encourage going green.
Even the evil PGE has plans for EVs.

You can see some people have trouble with the solutions; others see opportunity.
You have to be creative and open minded. Things are changing; they always are.

EVs are not for everyone.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by nicholas
Getting parts and fixing something yourself will be next to impossible...........
I would not own one.................

Think about it - - those batteries will not last forever - - -- - The motors will last a loooooong time.........but not their power source.

All my battery devices eventually end up recycled. - - - - - -Hydrogen is the TRUE future for our transportation needs on this planet. Not acid based batteries.

As I recall, they use lithium ion batteries, basically packs of 18650's. Panasonic makes pretty good ones, the cheap knock offs that you buy don't last anywhere as long as the Panasonic ones and they hold the most charge. No lead acid for their battery packs.

Technically all cars eventually get recycled in the crusher.

Originally Posted by john_pifer
There is a dealership here in Nashville. Reviews were mixed on Google.

The Tesla is a fools fad for now.

Fixed that for you.

From a drivers point of view, they are awesome. No lag, no delay, no downshifts, gobs of power, low center of gravity and very quiet. What's not to love.

I think the various Tesla cars are about as close to a drivers ideal as possible. They are that good.

Originally Posted by 1JZ_E46
Just test drove a "Standard Plus" Model 3 today with Autopilot. I have to say, it far exceeded my expectations. I was very impressed by the driving experience, the user interface, autopilot, acceleration, and how quiet it was.

Any bitog Model 3 owners care to share your thoughts/review?

Don't let AP drive your buying decision. Just yesterday in FLA another Model 3 driver killed himself while using AP. I'm not suggesting AP is defective just that it seems to lull some owners into complacency.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back