Changing gear oil in high humidity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all, my first post. I just changed my 15 4Runner t-case oil with Toyota's 75wLF and the rear diff too. While doing the service in my garage, it was raining out (high humidity). I got to thinking while the boxes were draining; that I hope it's ok to be doing these sealed units while it's humid. I know the rear diff will get up to temp and hopefully vent any moisture quickly, but I probably won't use my t-case anytime soon Is gear oil hydroscopic or am I nuts to even ponder such a thing? Thanks

AA299196-F015-4B78-AB25-66D61309A22B.jpeg

You're not supposed to change any oil when the humidity is high. That's why all mechanic shops close when it's raining.

Originally Posted by CT8
Are you serious? what gives you that idea? The differentials are vented.

Yes serious. I know the diff is vented, but I'm not clear if the t-case will get up to temp without using it.

You should be fine. If in doubt, just run it in 4 wheel drive the next time its raining, so the t-case heats up more. I doubt that is even needed since the input shaft is always turning.

No worries - stuff like that gets changes in FL all the time.

I am curious how much the Toyota 75W set you back. Been doing some reading on it...

Absolutely zero issues, I've changed the Tundra and just did the RX t-case when it was absolutely pouring rain with relative humidity around 95%

Originally Posted by JamesBond
You're not supposed to change any oil when the humidity is high. That's why all mechanic shops close when it's raining.

LOL in Washington that would only leave you a couple dozen days a year.

The T-case is vented too. Any time the vehicle is moving, various parts in the T-case are turning, heating the gear oil. So regardless of whether you have a Limited with full-time 4wd, or an SR5 or Trail with part-time 4wd, the gear oil is doing it's job lubricating moving parts, and getting warm in the process.

The transfer case is always spinning when the vehicle is being driven; the input/tail shaft of the transfer case drives the rear axle and has a pump on it. Take it for an easy drive on the highway, I guarantee that transfer case will be hot to the touch.

Ouch they're really proud of the 75w LF stuff, I'll need to get it for my parent's ‘18 GX when the time comes to change it out

Toyota WS ATF is indeed reputed to be hygroscopic. That shouldn't normally be a problem, though, assuming reasonable care.

Practically all gear housings have to be vented to keep routine thermal expansion of the oil and air from forcing oil out through the seals.

Originally Posted by OCDoiler
Thanks everyone, much appreciated!

@JLTD...the 75w was 70 bucks ...³

Yowza...heard it was bad. Was the single can enough for the entire TC?

I've read on a couple T4R sites that a lot of owners are using the same 75w-80 as goes in the differentials....

Originally Posted by Snagglefoot
Here the mechanics close up shop when there is fresh snow at the ski hill.
laugh.gif

My mechanic works in the dirt driveway outside his mobile home.

OCDollar,

You are not nuts to ponder such a thing. But I believe you have your answer. No worries.

How are you gonna get the lube in the diff and transfer case?

When I lived on the coast of South Carolina I learned what a problem this can be. Honestly! Seems like the jokers have never lived in an ocean town. The water vapor can combine into droplets of water. Have you ever dropped water into a hot, deep oil fryer? Well. same thing here and the new added pressure blows the axle bearings out of the axle housing. Happens in the blink of the eye and it may take days to happen. Depends on the weight of your girlfriend and the load on the power-train.
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back