Another oil recommendation, 2.0 EcoBoost

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I want to thank the guys got the recommendation I got for the wife's Rogue, should last many long miles on the Mobil 1

Now my car needs one... I'm running a 2016 2.0 EcoBoost AWD Fusion... 75,000kms on it. Lots of short trips with some longer ones every week or so... I drive harder then the wife drives her rogue as well lol
Only put 15,000 kms on it last 15 months as well, I'm 3 minutes from work so there is the short trips. Last 3 to 4 Oil changes I was running PUP 5w30 but hearing it's not the best for lspi I want to try something better.

What would you guys recommend?

The Ecoboost engine at work get bulk 5W30 at 5K OCI'S with cheapest bidder filters. After 8 years there has not been a oil related failure. So use API SN motor oil and don't worry.

Only thing that might be better, as you say you want, is to go for the more premium oils on the market. Get Ravenol DXG 5w-30 dexos1 Gen2 oil (LSPI resistant) for a great premium oil, with expensive PAO, and use of tungsten FM. .... If you don't want better, then any full synthetic 5w30 you see on the shelf will be OK for that car. You could even use Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 since winters can be bad where you are, and it's fine in the summer too. Fram Ultra oil filter of course.

I was looking at like the new Gen2 Dexos oils like Castrol Edge, the newer PP Turbo formula etc

I run the motorcraft filters being on powertrain warranty still

Well I have a 2016 Fusion 2.0 awd and I use Chevron Supreme 5w30. It's a semi synthetic SN plus rated oil and I'm changing mine at 5,000 miles. I think almost all conventional oils including Supertech are SN plus now. My wife does a lot of short trips.

Last edited:
Just get you some 5W30 Chevron Havoline Pro DS. It meets Ford specs and and all other current requirements. Walmart carries it in 6qt. boxes and at a good price.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Only thing that might be better, as you say you want, is to go for the more premium oils on the market. Get Ravenol DXG 5w-30 dexos1 Gen2 oil (LSPI resistant) for a great premium oil, with expensive PAO, and use of tungsten FM. .... If you don't want better, then any full synthetic 5w30 you see on the shelf will be OK for that car. You could even use Mobil 1 AFE 0w30 since winters can be bad where you are, and it's fine in the summer too. Fram Ultra oil filter of course.

I was wondering when someone was going to mention Ravenol. I just havent read any reports or reviews on it.

Originally Posted by GaryPoe

I was wondering when someone was going to mention Ravenol. I just havent read any reports or reviews on it.

Reports & reviews are nearly worthless. Some use phrases like "it's real slippery", or my fav: "it's smooth". Nothing there.
What counts is what its made of, and what performance specs it meets. Ravenol tends to place itself in the upper-tier category based on what matters. The hope is that you get cleaner pistons, as wear is similar enough between all the different full-syns in the world.

Therefore, go by performance specs alone, or combine that with how expensive the material components are. That will lead you to German specs in the extreme, and/or the all-PAO oils like Ravenol. Taking into account the reputation of the company, preferably with deep engineering roots, and Ravenol appears to qualify.

What does Ravenol do to make the engine last longer then the specified oil from Ford?

Originally Posted by dave1251
What does Ravenol do to make the engine last longer then the specified oil from Ford?
Not sure what you mean, since that Ravenol IS Ford spec'ed oil. Ford WSS-M2C946-A according to the Owner's Manual. So what's your question then?
With the all-PAO formula, and additional dexos1 Gen2 qualifications on top of the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec you ignored, the oil qualifies for better wear protection and fewer deposits, if one wants that. You might not want any of that, and it's your choice.

5,000 miles is good + change at the end of winter then 6 months again reguardless of miles, i do my aunts jeep cherokee every 6 months with less than 2 thou on it as almost all short trips. super-tech 10-30 synthetic + a wix works well

Not sure what you mean, since that Ravenol IS Ford spec'ed oil. Ford WSS-M2C946-A according to the Owner's Manual. So what's your question then?
With the all-PAO formula, and additional dexos1 Gen2 qualifications on top of the Ford WSS-M2C946-A spec you ignored, the oil qualifies for better wear protection and fewer deposits, if one wants that. You might not want any of that, and it's your choice.

It certainly costs more. That's about the only real world difference you will see.

Originally Posted by Marco620
Castrol Magnatec 5w30

This is my recommendation as well.

UOA's with Magnatec and EB's seem good.

Originally Posted by BLND1

It certainly costs more. That's about the only real world difference you will see.

So there's less money for gas, and therefore less driving...so the vehicle lasts longer. Brilliant!

I know the -B1 versions of the Ford specs didn't exist when the 2016s came out, but I'm pretty sure Ford recommends them for all Ecoboosts now.
My take would be to get an oil with a -B1 spec for any Ecoboost, but I am also Mr. Conservative about LSPI.

Not a answer to the question. It does not add any life over the vehicle.

Originally Posted by KoolG6
I was looking at like the new Gen2 Dexos oils like Castrol Edge, the newer PP Turbo formula etc

I run the motorcraft filters being on powertrain warranty still

nothing wrong with your plan as is.

The owners manual gives the specs for the oil . Any quality brand oil with the proper specs will serve you well.

Originally Posted by CT8
The owners manual gives the specs for the oil .
No it doesn't. The -B1 anti-LSPI modern spec supersedes the -A spec in there, as Virtus_Probi already explained above.
Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I know the -B1 versions of the Ford specs didn't exist when the 2016s came out, but I'm pretty sure Ford recommends them for all Ecoboosts now. My take would be to get an oil with a -B1 spec for any Ecoboost, but I am also Mr. Conservative about LSPI.
Ravenol DXG claims -B1 as well. Being dexos1 Gen2 alone covers LSPI though, low Ca.
Originally Posted by CT8
Any quality brand oil with the proper specs will serve you well.
Originally Posted by KoolG6
I want to try something better. What would you guys recommend?
What CT8 and some others continually miss is the OP's stated intent to get something better. This happens in a lot of threads, as usually people want to know how to improve piston deposits & wear, or maybe go extended drains. Obviously.

Certainly if a OP wants cheap & doesn't care about performance, there are options in any dexos1 Gen2 on the shelf will be adequate.
----------> Read any OP's original statement from now on to see if they are looking for cheap, or looking for better. They usually tell you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back