Should I be using motorcraft fl-910s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the oil on my fusion for the first time and used the motorcraft oil filter, I noticed the filtration stats don't look as good as other filters and there has been some people finding tears in their motorcraft filters. Does it really matter to use a higher efficiency filter or is the motorcraft fine? The car had a champion e-core on it when I changed the oil.

Last edited:
I've used the FL-910s and would again. The 910s has shown to have the least problems. My go to filter is the NAPA Gold 1348.

I have used numerous Motorcraft FL-910s and FL-400s filters on my Fusion, without any of them showing any signs of tearing or any other failures. Use with confidence.

Have used many, and cut open some of them. They all did the job just fine. Have one right now for next oil change.

Motivx MX2323 oil filter wrench fits it perfectly...74 mm 14 flute, and it's good quality too.

I have used MC FL910S filters for years in my old Focus and now my 2017 Fusion with very good results.

Last edited:
I wouldn't use anything Purolator. So many other options that won't tear for good prices.

Napa: 1348, 31348, 21348
Fram: PH3614, TG3614, XG3614

Originally Posted by SirTanon
I have used numerous Motorcraft FL-910s and FL-400s filters on my Fusion, without any of them showing any signs of tearing or any other failures. Use with confidence.

So the fl-400s can be substituted for the fl-910s for more capacity on a Fusion?

Originally Posted by Corollaman
So the fl-400s can be substituted for the fl-910s for more capacity on a Fusion?

Yes, FL-400S is the over-sized FL-910S.

I wouldn't use MC anything, try a PH3614 instead or basically any other non-Tearolator made filter will work great.

I used these on a Lexus and they continually leaked-down from the ADBV all the time, causing dry starts. Major fail.

Switched to a Fram Ultra, which is 2x the price, but good to leave on for 3x the mileage vs. an MC filter. Win-win.

So no, don't use them. Switch to something better for less overall cost.

XG3600 if you've got room for the filter length, and forget about it. Change every 20k and you'll still hit 200k without an oil-filter-related issue.

Pinoak, you may want to review the filter section; 53 Stude cut open several randomly selected Motorcraft filters from Walmart and a couple of them looked really shoddy. The 910 was probably the best looking, but it's still no match for a Napa Gold 1516 or XH3600/3614.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
XG3600 if you've got room for the filter length, and forget about it. Change every 20k and you'll still hit 200k without an oil-filter-related issue.

Pinoak, you may want to review the filter section; 53 Stude cut open several randomly selected Motorcraft filters from Walmart and a couple of them looked really shoddy. The 910 was probably the best looking, but it's still no match for a Napa Gold 1516 or XH3600/3614.

I'll use a FL 400S or FL910S AND a TG 8316

FL 820S: NO THANK YOU

Originally Posted by Oro_O
I used these on a Lexus and they continually leaked-down from the ADBV all the time, causing dry starts. Major fail.

Switched to a Fram Ultra, which is 2x the price, but good to leave on for 3x the mileage vs. an MC filter. Win-win.

So no, don't use them. Switch to something better for less overall cost.

1) I have never had a Mc FL910 leak down in the many years I have used them.

2)How do you know they leaked down and caused dry starts?

3) I have been doing 10K OCIs with the MC 910 for at least 12 years in Fords.

The 910s is horizontally mounted on a 22RE engine. Maybe I am just lucky. Every time I have pulled one off it's full of oil.

I was using the Toyota YZZD1 made in Thailand filter. It was basically a cartridge filter in a can. Some time in 2017 the YZZD1 was superseded by the YZZG2, at least for the 22RE engine. The G2 is USA made by Purolator. I cut open a new 910s and G2 back in 2017, and there were some differences, but my memory fails me, so I can't remember what they were.

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

I never said it's equal to Napa Gold. It's also like half the price. My personal experience with MC is all positive

Originally Posted by Corollaman

Both filters are the same, with the exception of canister height. FL-400S used to be even taller. Ford has cut it down from 4.75" to 4". Where fitment allows, the bigger filter will have more filtration media and capacity.

Different opinions from different people. You have to decide what you feel good about. Some tell you that the larger filter is what you should use whenever possible. Other people tell you to stick with OEM spec.

4.75" tall canister oil filters still exist in this size. ACDelco, as well as many other brands offer them. Can you live with a GM part on a Ford?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back