Found this Valvoline relic @ Meijer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even though I went to Meijer last night for a new pair of shoes, I still gravitated to the oil aisle because, well, that's what we do. My eyes caught a couple quarts of faded Valvoline Synpower 10w30 sitting with the rest of the Valvoline offerings. Even more surprised to see an SM rating on the donut. Hard to believe this many years have gone by with this stuff still sitting on the shelf, so I'm guessing it must've been hiding in the back room somewhere. What's also interesting is Meijer's price tag on the shelf even listed the 10w30 as SynPower. Anyone know how long it's been since Valvoline dropped SynPower from the labels?
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Reminds me of Kmart with old quarts of everything.

Pepboys is similar...

Originally Posted by pbm

Pepboys is similar...

And Sears with their ancient square bottle orange label Castrol Syntec 5W50 quarts with labels so faded you can barely read them,at $10 a quart!!

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
Originally Posted by pbm

Pepboys is similar...

And Sears with their ancient square bottle orange label Castrol Syntec 5W50 quarts with labels so faded you can barely read them,at $10 a quart!!

This helps to explain why Sears is doing so well.
I bought my first set of new tires for the first car I bought myself at Sears because my dad taught me you buy EVERYTHING at Sears!
Those tires took forever to wear down, but they were horrible for handing and weather...
Used to buy clothes, furniture, appliances, glasses, EVERYTHING at Sears except groceries...

Originally Posted by jeepman3071
I had to look up what Meijer was. Never heard of that store and they don't have them here.

They are actually pretty neat stores, used to go to one when I lived near Detroit. It was kind of a Super Walmart before those were common.
Never saw them in any other part of the country.

Was it on sale for a dollar?

I think I have an old bottle of Slick50 synthetic oil in the wood shed. IIRC it ws 0w50 and I ran it in the '90 subaru. Loyale 1.8.

I think it was yellow with a red cap. Does this make any sense?

My memory may be way wrong here. This is a mystery I need to solve just t for brain and memory sake
smile.gif

My local W*M has the jugs of the same era with the same staining and damaged labels. I offered to take all them (about 5 or 6) at a discount while the manager walked by and his response was "We're not allowed to do that" , I said "OK" and kept walking.

Originally Posted by GSCJR
My local W*M has the jugs of the same era with the same staining and damaged labels. I offered to take all them (about 5 or 6) at a discount while the manager walked by and his response was "We're not allowed to do that" , I said "OK" and kept walking.

I did that very same thing at Sears, I offered to buy every bottle of that old Syntec they had if they would give me a good deal on it and they just looked at me with that deer caught in headlights look. That oil was so old that I think it was SG rated and the orange labels had almost turned white.

I had to look up what Meijer was. Never heard of that store and they don't have them here.

Like Walmart, but usually a little nicer to be in at 3am. Used to shop at Walmart, but using their savings catcher it was always price matching Meijer, so I started going there instead... they've got way better produce and meat. Oil prices are about the same though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Like Walmart, but usually a little nicer to be in at 3am. Used to shop at Walmart, but using their savings catcher it was always price matching Meijer, so I started going there instead... they've got way better produce and meat. Oil prices are about the same though.

Did not know Meijer was around Chicago now...new development since I moved away 20+ years ago!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back