Lapping Valves vs Machining

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize for the lack of updates - I forgot to update this thread.

The machine shop finished the cylinder heads on schedule. No issues arose except they threw out my boxes so I had to transport the cylinder heads on my floor mats. 5 exhaust valves and 4 intake valves were replaced. New valve stem seals and cam seals were installed. It appears that they blasted the heads since the reflective finish is now gone. The tech explained that they performed a 3-angle cut on the valve seats, installed new valve stem seals and resurfaced the cylinder heads. The surface finish looks pretty good although their cleaning solvents left some "staining" on the surface.

Re-installation of the cylinder heads went fine. I used new bolts from Fel-Pro since Honda allows for an extra 90-deg of tightening when using new bolts (vs. serviceable used bolts). The valve clearances were way off (as expected) so I did have to set all of them; I set the intake valves to .009" and the exhaust valves to .012." I have driven the car for 200 miles since the repair with no misfires or driveability issues. I did perform the PCM/ECM reset using my Autel Maxisys Elite, performed the guided CKP relearn and the idle speed relearn.

For some reason, I do notice the idle at cold start-up to be a bit more rough than I recall (for the first 30 sec - 1min) but is perfect under all other conditions. Fuel trims are normal; +2% s/t and -5% l/t. MAP voltage is .96v at hot idle which is a bit on the high side. Engine mounts are fine and are OE. I will say that it is better now (after 200 miles) compared to the initial test drive. Any ideas?

IMG_5476.jpg

IMG_5458.jpg

Last edited:
I had a brainstorm on my last valve job. I slipped the valve into the head and applied a smear of all 3 grinding pastes to the face. Next I inserted the valve stem into my 1/2" drill and tightened the chuck. Sitting on the floor and positioning myself so that I'd be able to pull the valve into the cylinder head while applying maximum effort for 1 minute as the drill ran on high speed. This gives a perfect seal! Try it and let me know how it works for you.
20.gif

[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back