Airbag light won't go off in my 2008 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

The Airbag light came on last week on my 2008 Corolla with 120K.
After researching it I've ordered a new 'clock spring'...hoping that it solves the issue...(there are some other possibilities but I'd rather give this a shot than pay Toyota to diagnose it).

The funny thing is that the price of the part is all over the place...Rockauto has it for $50...while Ebay has them for $9.00....The YouTube video that I watched used an Ebay one so that's what I ordered....I know it's been said that "you get what you pay for"..so we'll see.

What exactly does the clock spring do?

I'll update this thread after installing the part.

Clock spring is the coiled cable that connects the inflator in the steering wheel; lets the airbag turn with the wheel while still being connected.

Rather than throwing parts at it, why not use an ohmmeter to check the cable and make sure it's not broken first? You do know to safely disable the airbag system before you start messing with it, right?

Originally Posted by Dave Sherman
Clock spring is the coiled cable that connects the inflator in the steering wheel; lets the airbag turn with the wheel while still being connected.

Rather than throwing parts at it, why not use an ohmmeter to check the cable and make sure it's not broken first? You do know to safely disable the airbag system before you start messing with it, right?

Thanks for the explanation Dave. For $9 I'd rather just change the part while I have it apart...

Yes, I see that disconnecting the battery for awhile (I'll disconnect it overnight) should disable the airbag...right?

I'm wondering if there is much difference between the $9 and the $50 part?

PS: When I disconnect the battery...the light goes out until the steering wheel is turned...which was mentioned on the Toyota forum as an indication of the 'clock spring' needing to be changed...so while I am 'throwing parts at it'...it's somewhat of an educated guess....

Disconnecting the battery overnight and unplugging the inflators should do the trick. Key thing is the airbag module stores a charge to deploy them in case the electrical system fails.

Disconnecting the battery overnight and unplugging the inflators should do the trick. Key thing is the airbag module stores a charge to deploy them in case the electrical system fails.

I have to remove the air bag cover to unplug the inflators....right?
I'll disconnect the battery overnight and stay to the side as I remove the cover to access the plugs....as a precaution...

Originally Posted by CT8
A bit of electric tape over the light will be a low cost fix.

How did you gain membership here again?!

cool.gif

Originally Posted by pbm

I'll disconnect the battery overnight and stay to the side as I remove the cover to access the plugs....as a precaution...

What do they say about the blind leading the blind? I think this isn't going to end well.

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by pbm

What do they say about the blind leading the blind? I think this isn't going to end well.

Thanks for your valuable input....Asking for dieting advice on a car forum usually doesn't end well either...........

Originally Posted by CT8
A bit of electric tape over the light will be a low cost fix.

I've done that before....and I'll do it again before I give Toyota $300+ to 'diagnose' it...I'm not sure it would pass inspection though....

Originally Posted by pbm
Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by pbm

Thanks for your valuable input....Asking for dieting advice on a car forum usually doesn't end well either...........

HAHA. I hope you have a camera going for a youtube video as you remove the air bag cover.

Each vehicle manufacturer is different I guess.
On my Mazda 3 the airbag light came on few months ago and it turned out to be a burnt out bulb for the passenger airbag notification light.

On a 2007 Focus I had, it turned out it is common for the airbag harness connector to develop some corrosion and not make full contact. I pulled the connector in and out few times and it made proper connection after that.

I would not be surprised if that clock spring connector is the culpri in OPs case.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why your only options are to pay a Toyota dealer $300 (<--did Toyota actually quote you $300 to diagnose, or did you pull some ridiculous-sounding number out of your butt?), or waste $50 on a part you might not need. Why isn't paying an independent shop $100 to properly diagnose it not an option? Or just spending $10 on a test light (If you don't already have one. I'm assuming you don't, or you'd already have this diagnosed by now) and download a free wiring diagram on BBBindustries.com and properly diagnose it yourself?

You can get a diagnostic cable, plus "maybe" techstream software, for $16 on ebay that'll get your airbag diagnosis for sure.

I'd run the generic clockspring if it were me. The self diagnostics will tell you if it'll work or not.

Also check, if you have the takata recall, if you have a long/ lifetime warranty on the airbag system.

A two-day subscription to Toyota's Technical Information System is only $20. A scantool with SRS support is around $100. A DVOM is free at Harbor Freight with a coupon.

But throwing parts at dash lights is expensive.

Originally Posted by exranger06
I'm not sure why your only options are to pay a Toyota dealer $300 (div>

The $300 quote came from ToyotaNation forum....I paid $9 for the new clock spring (not $50) from Amazon.

That YT video posted by SatinSilver is the one I've referenced....it doesn't seem too difficult and it's worth a shot for $9 andan hour of my time.

Atikovi: I'm glad you have a good sense of humor as I was just kidding with ya......

IMO for an airbag system part that could potentially save my life I have a hard time trusting for 9$...

Last edited:
I installed the new clock spring and my airbag light went off.
The $9 part seemed exactly the same as the OE....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back