Keto Diet with Intermittent Fasting

I agree to disagree.
cheers3.gif

I started my version of the keto diet around mid March. I was 250 lbs and high blood sugar of 215 after a 24 hour fast and total intestinal cleansing.
frown.gif
My Dr had been complaining about my A1c which was slowly coming down but still high at 6.6 last time in January. I won't see him for another month or so but he should be quite surprised.

Got a blood sugar reader and it is slowly coming down and I now averaging 125 or so over a week, 130 over a month. And I've lost 25 lbs with the goal of another 25 lbs, 226 lbs this morning. A total of 100 lbs if I can get down to 200. I'm 6'1" and big bones....

But anyway I don't keep track of quantity weight wise what I eat but do on when, what and some sort of amount. Try to stay away from anything with more than 2% per serving of carbs. All added sugar products are out except for catsup and some other condiments. Gave a lot of food away.

Been eating once a day for the meal around 4-5 pm. Snack at noon of peanuts or cheese sometimes. My problem is eating before bed. Hard to stop but it keeps my BS high and it is usually highest in the morning when I get up. 140 yesterday and 133 today at 6 am.

Been doing a lot of outside car and yard work since it's warmed up and that helps a lot. Have a exercise bike for rainy days I put about 15 minutes on or until I get winded.I still need to stop eating after my main meal.

Quite a lifestyle change and shock to realize why, exactly what and how much I was eating as 'normal'.

Taking supplements too. Cinnamon, fenugreek, berberine. Use to drink 3 gallons of milk a week now it's just water and coffee. I put a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in my water bottle of 750mL and go through 4 to 6 a day.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Sorry Bud from what you have posted your in a unique situation and this diet is working for you but if you eat 2,400 calories and you burn 2,600 everyday you will lose weight. I don't know long it took you to your peak weight I'm guessing decades and with your health issues you had to lose weight fast. Keto helped you lose this weight and good for you.

One of the points of ketosis is training the body to burn fat instead of glycogen during daily activity or rest. That enables one to burn a LOT more fat than the conventional "calories in/ calories out" maxim.

As well, since one is no longer subject to the ebb and flow of glycogen availability it is much easier to eat less, which *underscores* the "calories in/ calories out" maxim.

It is not a unique situation: it is basic physiology; and one that greatly mitigates the **extremely unnatural** (and entirely unbalanced for us) carbohydrate-rich, processed diet invented by us by way of agriculture.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more
Sorry Bud from what you have posted your in a unique situation and this diet is working for you but if you eat 2,400 calories and you burn 2,600 everyday you will lose weight. I don't know long it took you to your peak weight I'm guessing decades and with your health issues you had to lose weight fast. Keto helped you lose this weight and good for you.

One of the points of ketosis is training the body to burn fat instead of glycogen during daily activity or rest. That enables one to burn a LOT more fat than the conventional "calories in/ calories out" maxim.

As well, since one is no longer subject to the ebb and flow of glycogen availability it is much easier to eat less, which *underscores* the "calories in/ calories out" maxim.

It is not a unique situation: it is basic physiology; and one that greatly mitigates the **extremely unnatural** (and entirely unbalanced for us) carbohydrate-rich, processed diet invented by us by way of agriculture.

Yeah sorry it's does not work that way it's really calories in calories out keto for most people who don't have the willpower not to restrict their calories intake to lose weight it's those pesky carbs who keep making people put food into their hands and put it into their mouth.

Originally Posted by Smokescreen
Anyone tried water fasting for a week or more....it is supposed to reboot your system and have great results.

I've gone as long as a month.

Another video that was interesting to add to the thread. My bad cholesterol went down but my spouses rose. We did a calcium score on both of us and both were low. So we aren't concerned.

The following video explains why it's ok. (30 year Cardiologist)

Yeah sorry it's does not work that way it's really calories in calories out keto for most people who don't have the willpower not to restrict their calories intake to lose weight it's those pesky carbs who keep making people put food into their hands and put it into their mouth.

That is precisely how it works; THAT'S WHAT THE WORD "KETOSIS" MEANS.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ketosis

This is not rocket surgery, man.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

That is precisely how it works; THAT'S WHAT THE WORD "KETOSIS" MEANS.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=ketosis

This is not rocket surgery, man.

And after a year the weight loss, BP, cholesterol, BMI, glucose, and insulin levels keto vs low fat diets are nearly identical. So it's not rocket science but keto unless you have a neurological disorder is not a miracle diet nor is it anymore effective.

https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/healthy-weight/diet-reviews/ketogenic-diet/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5959976/

I haven't really stayed on any low fat or calorie reduced diet before. I was up to 300 lbs while working. Lost 50 lbs when I quit drinking beer 3 years ago. But then stalled at around 250 lbs. I finally had to do something about my BS levels as they were over 200 when fasting.

So keto is working great. Don't follow it to a tee but I do limit my foods to those that have less than 3% carbs per serving and generally lower than that. Loosing about 1/4 to 1/2 lb a day on average.

But I would much rather eat peanuts, meat and cheese vs low calorie foods. Much more satisfying too hunger wise.

I spend half the money I use to at the grocery store and eat better foods. More organic and higher quality. Making a beef stew/soup out of New York strip today.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Dave,

Yet there are scores of people including myself that have tried traditional diets and exercise and failed but have been wildly successful on Keto. Further what other diet do you know that can take you off Type-2 diabetes medication in just 1 week? My spouse was on medication for 10 years and was approaching the need for insulin and is now medication free.
21.gif

Sorry but conventional medicine has this wrong. Spend some time watching the videos on the YouTube channel: Low Carb Down Under. A lot of doctors there presenting studies with remarkable results.

Last edited:
Went to the Dr for the first time since the keto dieting. And he was quite happy. A1c was at the high end of normal at 5.4. I've lost 40 lbs since April 1st. Kind of fell off the wagon the last couple weeks with family dinners and graduation parties. But my weight did not gain. Held steady at 212 and today I'm 208.

Dr asked me when I was going to stop loosing weight. Ideal weight for my height is around 145-190. I was 185 in High School.

But the blood test came back great. Only thing out of line was cholesterol a bit over 200 and the LDLs a bit higher too. Triglycerides were at 76 which is an all time low for me. They have been over 200 for decades, every time I've tested in the past.

My blood sugar is pretty stable but too high for me lately in the 130s. Too many peanuts as of late. But the container is almost gone...... Above 130 and I start getting tingling feets.

The best advice is not to get obese in the first place.

But for people who can't resist shoving food into their piehole, it's a simple matter of a common sense lifestyle. Fad diets are for idiots who don't know any better. Make a lifestyle change and stop shoveling so much food into your mouth. Get out and burn some calories through exercise. Leave the fad diets to those who are too lazy to actually work to drop the pounds.

I've been on something that's a cross between the carnivore diet and keto diet. I've been averaging about 45% protein, 50% fat, and 5% carbs. In March, my A1C was 8.2 and fasting glucose was 108. At the first of June, my A1C was 5.0 and fasting glucose was 92. I'm down 42 lbs and feeling great. In March, I could barely do 5 pushups. Now I'm doing 4 sets of 40 every day.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

But for people who can't resist shoving food into their piehole, it's a simple matter of a common sense lifestyle. Fad diets are for idiots who don't know any better. Make a lifestyle change and stop shoveling so much food into your mouth. Get out and burn some calories through exercise. Leave the fad diets to those who are too lazy to actually work to drop the pounds.

Some people gain weight due to a chronic disease like diabetes or a thyroid condition.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Fawteen

Some people gain weight due to a chronic disease like diabetes or a thyroid condition.

In my case, it was chronic PTSD/anxiety, and I found comfort in food.

Originally Posted by StevieC
Anyone try the Keto Diet? Results?
How about combined with Intermittent fasting? Results?

On it myself and it's working so far but I keep having stalls, and then weight loss resumes without changing anything in terms of activity or diet. Your experiences?

IF didn't really do it for me.
KETO dropped me by about 5% body fat in 6 weeks, but I feel it is very unhealthy long-term, and now simply stick to a well-rounded sensible diet low in processed foods.

Here is the "healthy" food pyramid and the Keto pyramid. Quite different. It's like the food/medical/government have been pushing bad eating habits. 80% of the food in a grocery store are off limits to the Keto diet.

[Linked Image]

Back