Amsoil SS 5w30, Supercharged Ford F150 5.0, 6000 miles

Hello, this is the second analysis of my 2016 Ford F150 5.0 V8 with a Roush Supercharger. This run occured between October 2018 and April 2019, and was just a little under 6,000 miles. This is a pleasure vehicle, and operates 80/20 highway to city, with frequent 1/4th mile drag runs and during this cycle various data logging sessions. For the first half of this oil interval the engine was making around 550whp with a 75mm pulley and a relatively stock Roush stage 2 supercharger system, but for the last half of this oil cycle the engine was again tuned with a 72mm pulley, 95lb injectors, and various other parts and is making upwards of 600whp. There was some octane booster used during some data logging sessions, but only during 1 tank of fuel.

This oil change consisted of approximately 8qts of Amsoil SS 5w-30, and half a can of Liqui-Moly MOS2. The oil filter is a Fram Ultra, and the filter was not changed after the first analysis and ran for approximately 10,000 miles. There was no makeup oil and very little consumption over the course of the run, maybe 1/4th court. I've since switched to Mobil 1 0w-40, to test and see whether an increase in viscosity will lower wear numbers, but overall I'm pleased with my current results considering the engine is making roughly double it's original horsepower output. We will see how the Mobil 1 holds up near the end of summer when I'm ready for another oil change.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
For the use, I'd say it did great. I'm impressed at how low the silicon is - usually in HP applications, SI ends up high bc most prioritize flow over filtration.

Originally Posted by addyguy
For the use, I'd say it did great. I'm impressed at how low the silicon is - usually in HP applications, SI ends up high bc most prioritize flow over filtration.

I'm using the Roush intake that comes with the blower kit, and it uses a very large Roush branded AEM dryflow filter. Those filters are decent, not as efficient as paper, but better then anything cotton gauze. The intake system is also well designed and seals up tight with no leaks.

Thank you for taking a look!

Last edited:
Does the Roush use it's own oil, like some of the GM & Ford supers? If shared oil with the sump, that's an extra source of iron that might add up to very normal for the engine.
Your choice of oil (Amsoil SS & M1 0w40) and Ultra filter is spot on, that is for certain, as these are among the best available. I can see nudging visc up like you're doing, since this is a boosted engine.

Zinc looks a little on the low side to me compared to https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4554249/1/Amsoil_SS_5w30_new_formulation Could be lab differences I guess. The new 0w40 will raise it some. Everything else looks fine, nothing wrong with this.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Does the Roush use it's own oil, like some of the GM & Ford supers? If shared oil with the sump, that's an extra source of iron that might add up to very normal for the engine.
Your choice of oil (Amsoil SS & M1 0w40) and Ultra filter is spot on, that is for certain, as these are among the best available. I can see nudging visc up like you're doing, since this is a boosted engine.

Zinc looks a little on the low side to me compared to https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4554249/1/Amsoil_SS_5w30_new_formulation Could be lab differences I guess. The new 0w40 will raise it some. Everything else looks fine, nothing wrong with this.

The Roush kit uses an Eaton 2.3l TVS supercharger that is self contained with its own oil supply. It's a descendant of a roots style blower, with a rear inlet. Thank you for your reply!

Isnt there a Amsoil for hot rodded engines? lower detergent higher EP/ AW.

I don't think you would want a LL rated oil in a VERY high specific out put motor.

Originally Posted by JoelB
Is the truck 2 or 4wd? Sounds like a blast.

Hello,
the truck is a regular cab short bed 4x4, and it is indeed a blast. My personal best so far was an 11.46, and its remarkably consistent running mid 11's all day long. It'll get to 60mph in 3.39 seconds according to my Dragy. That's all with 4x4 engaged lol, otherwise its just a smoke show in 2wd.

Thank you for reading!

Originally Posted by pzev
Originally Posted by JoelB
Is the truck 2 or 4wd? Sounds like a blast.

Hello,
the truck is a regular cab short bed 4x4, and it is indeed a blast. My personal best so far was an 11.46, and its remarkably consistent running mid 11's all day long. It'll get to 60mph in 3.39 seconds according to my Dragy. That's all with 4x4 engaged lol, otherwise its just a smoke show in 2wd.

Thank you for reading!

Love this!

Originally Posted by 4WD
What's the top speed you have run with transfer case locked ?

A little over 130mph, though for speeds above 120mph I have to look at the data logs because the factory speedo stops at 120mph
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

He diluted the Amsoil with Liquid Moly.

Originally Posted by pzev
Originally Posted by 4WD
What's the top speed you have run with transfer case locked ?

A little over 130mph, though for speeds above 120mph I have to look at the data logs because the factory speedo stops at 120mph
laugh.gif

Blue Oval horse power !!! Gotta love it ðŸðŸ‡ºðŸ‡¸
Good job OP ðŸ‘

Out of curiosity did you use "stock" sized ultra; fl500s equivalent or did you use the fl820 equivalent? Ford racing uses the fl820 in race applications for what appears to be higher flow rate from what I can tell. I was planning on using the ultra fl820 equivalent on my 5.0.

Also have you added anything like billet oil pump gears or cam lockouts?

$17 a pop for fl820 ford performance filters. 50% more filtration sounds great. Ill stick with $6. OE from walmart. But if your racing you might want to consider it?

Originally Posted by Buzzinhalfdozen
Out of curiosity did you use "stock" sized ultra; fl500s equivalent or did you use the fl820 equivalent? Ford racing uses the fl820 in race applications for what appears to be higher flow rate from what I can tell. I was planning on using the ultra fl820 equivalent on my 5.0.

Also have you added anything like billet oil pump gears or cam lockouts?

Originally Posted by GaryPoe
$17 a pop for fl820 ford performance filters. 50% more filtration sounds great. Ill stick with $6. OE from walmart. But if your racing you might want to consider it?

Doesn't the FL820 use different bypass settings then the FL500s? I never considered that as an option due to this, but would make the switch if it was not a concern. This is a daily driver and weekend track warrior, for the few trips down the strip it makes I put on thousands of road miles, so I more or less treat it like a street car...hence why I'm still using mostly street oils.

As for the OPG, no those are stock. My year truck uses the thicker OPG from the Mustang, and with a good tune and rational use they can live a long life even boosted. I'm running the Mustang crank damper for the higher RPM I spin (7500), but internally she is stock. I'm debating turning up the power, and if I do that then I'll have to invest in a billet crank gear and OPG, along with a better damper. The 18+ Mustangs use a fluid damper, and a few people have retrofitted that on earlier years, but its quite a bit heavier. People have had mixed luck with aftermarket, though ATI Super Dampers are still considered good for this application.
My previous tunes would shift around 7700rpm, with a couple accidental runs to 7800rpm. She's locked pretty tight to 7500rpm now, added a little time to the slips but should help the engine live a little longer. However I just rolled over 30,000 boosted miles and she doesn't use a drop of oil!

No cam lockouts either, still using the stock cams. The tune radically alters the cam timing, and my tuner will bleed boost using cam timing to control knock in the mid range due to the aggressive pulley I'm running on pump gas. I'm about to start tuning with E85, and that'll let us get really aggressive with the timing and boost.
The F150 Coyote from 15-17 uses the forged crank and rods with lower compression pistons then the standard Mustang, so boosting these things is even easier lol. It is like Ford made them for boost from the factory with how strong the bottom end is.

That sounds like one cool truck. It's nice to know the gen II coyotes have the capability for some added boost.
I just picked one up and wouldn't mind a turbo setup in a year or two.

In regards to the filter everything I've seen on the fl500s says it has an 8 psi bypass, the fl820 from what I've seen is 16 psi. I don't remember if that was per Ford or just hearsay.

The fram fl500s equivalent the xg10575 is spec'd at 16-28 psi.

The fram fl820 equivalent the xg2 is spec'd at 12 psi.

In my opinion the Ford performance filter isn't that impressive from pictures of it cut open.
Still has paper media just more pleats. No wire backing etc.

Can't speak to the can thickness though could be thicker wall.

Hello, this is the second analysis of my 2016 Ford F150 5.0 V8 with a Roush Supercharger. This run occured between October 2018 and April 2019, and was just a little under 6,000 miles. This is a pleasure vehicle, and operates 80/20 highway to city, with frequent 1/4th mile drag runs and during this cycle various data logging sessions. For the first half of this oil interval the engine was making around 550whp with a 75mm pulley and a relatively stock Roush stage 2 supercharger system, but for the last half of this oil cycle the engine was again tuned with a 72mm pulley, 95lb injectors, and various other parts and is making upwards of 600whp. There was some octane booster used during some data logging sessions, but only during 1 tank of fuel.

This oil change consisted of approximately 8qts of Amsoil SS 5w-30, and half a can of Liqui-Moly MOS2. The oil filter is a Fram Ultra, and the filter was not changed after the first analysis and ran for approximately 10,000 miles. There was no makeup oil and very little consumption over the course of the run, maybe 1/4th court. I've since switched to Mobil 1 0w-40, to test and see whether an increase in viscosity will lower wear numbers, but overall I'm pleased with my current results considering the engine is making roughly double it's original horsepower output. We will see how the Mobil 1 holds up near the end of summer when I'm ready for another oil change.

[Linked Image]
Good report. If this was my truck, I would use Amsoil or Redline 5W40 or 0W40 given you are running it hard.

Back