10 speed AT

Status
Not open for further replies.
When accelerating, the 8 speed ZF units in the q5 and in the Charger don't skip gears per se, but if I put the Charger in Eco mode, it will start out in 2nd.

Still trying to figure out if the 9-speed AT in wife's new GMC skips any gears or always stays sequential. Hard to tell; entire drivetrain on that car is very smooth.

Some manual sports cars encourage gear skipping like the Corvette as they have enough power to do easily. I go 1-3-5-6 (or 2-4-6 if I am moving) all the time in my Si and it gets me great mpgs.
At some point all these gears in the automatic will allow the move to CVT will be more an more prevalent.

The exact opposite of moving to digial signal processing from analog.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Quattro Pete
When accelerating, the 8 speed ZF units in the q5 and in the Charger don't skip gears per se, but if I put the Charger in Eco mode, it will start out in 2nd.

That's the same way the ZF 8HP performs in my X1 and 2 Series.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Still trying to figure out if the 9-speed AT in wife's new GMC skips any gears or always stays sequential. Hard to tell; entire drivetrain on that car is very smooth.
No way to configure the display in this vehicle to show you what gear you're currently in?

Some cars let you see it, but some don't.

Drove this exact vehicle as a loaner. "When accelerating normally" it will go through all 10. I despised that transmission. Incredibly annnoying when turning left through an intersection shifting 4x before fininshing the turn.

i have a 2016 nissan frontier AT 5 sp. it shifts vary smooth. on my old chrysler 727 i would put a shift kit in to help them last longer. i found out that the new trans cant be beefed like my old 727. OH WELL such is progress.

Originally Posted by LoneRanger
No way to configure the display in this vehicle to show you what gear you're currently in?

Some cars let you see it, but some don't.

The display will only show current gear if you have it in manual mode which is like a sport mode, which won't skip gears. In "D" it doesn't show gear selection on the display.

My 6 speed in the MAZDA CX5 seems to shift quickly and is always in the correct gear. I thought maybe MAZDA was behind the times but, not so sure now, as I read the reports on the 8 or 10 speed ATs.Seems like a lot of extra internals and special software to gain 0.1 or less MPG. Ed

Your Choice-multi (8plus) speed transmissions-or CVTs. OR drive a Crown Vic......

Manual's are become more rare each model year.

Originally Posted by Eddie
My 6 speed in the MAZDA CX5 seems to shift quickly and is always in the correct gear. I thought maybe MAZDA was behind the times but, not so sure now, as I read the reports on the 8 or 10 speed ATs.Seems like a lot of extra internals and special software to gain 0.1 or less MPG. Ed

Mazda simply does not have the coin and sales to create one at the moment. The 6 speed works for the time being and guessing once a priority it will turn to 8 to 10 speed.

In the auto maker world they operate on shoestring budget.

Originally Posted by MCompact

That's the same way the ZF 8HP performs in my X1 and 2 Series.

No skipping in our RAM, but the trans is amazingly responsive and never seems to be caught in the wrong gear. FWIW there is obviously some programming issues as the same trans is a poor performer in some applications. I have owned many pickups and have never had one average just shy of 18 mpg with both my Wife and I driving it.

Last edited:
I haven't driven or been a passenger in the new 10 speed cars - but the ZF 8HP is pretty smooth. It's a long standing German tradition to start in 2nd gear to help reduce wheel spin or to prevent jackrabbit starts from what I know. I think I saw a PP from a Honda presentation that their new 10 speed can skip gears. I haven't seen much about the new Lexus one, but if Toyota designated the variants on the F-variants of the IS/RC/GS and the LC500 as Sport Direct Shift, it will shift like an old school automatic or hold gear on your command.

I think Ford was the first to introduce asynchronous shifting on the AX4N.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back