Eating more fruit, not losing any weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one of my big health bugaboos, diet soda.
I have tried so many times to drink water or something without sugar and artificial sweeteners and it just sits there. I actually feel dehydrated because I don't drink enough...I just don't like it.
For now, I have just decided that this is something I enjoy and there are other areas where I can work to improve my diet.

Did Keto, went from 289 to 250 then couldn't lose more. New routine that is working better is Intermittent fasting 16 hours a day, Treadmill for hour, Limit sugar and wheat ( I bloat up on wheat for some reason). I try to limit carbs to carbs from Veggies. I still eat sugar loaded items every once awhile like Fruit, cookies, etc.. I just don't make a pig of myself. Weight loss is back at ~ 1 pound a week.

Last edited:
best thing I ever did was eat less, eating basically the same stuff, just less of it and getting more exercise in what ever manner you like

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
That's one of my big health bugaboos, diet soda.
I have tried so many times to drink water or something without sugar and artificial sweeteners and it just sits there. I actually feel dehydrated because I don't drink enough...I just don't like it.
For now, I have just decided that this is something I enjoy and there are other areas where I can work to improve my diet.

I gave up pop along time ago for years. I then introduced diet pop into my diet and drank that as well as sparkling water (I don't drink alcohol or juice). 3 weeks ago I cut out all diet pop and only drink water (natural and sparkling). I agree, it's tough, so I recently tried flavoured carbonated water but it's just ok. Ces't la vie!

You are doing ok. If you can cut way back on the manufactured foods, and eat a lot more "real, from the earth" foods like fruits and vegetables, then you are doing ok. No one will ever convince me that eating a bunch of fruit rather than a McDonald cheeseburger is the wrong way to go.

Fruit can be high in sugar, so try to add more leafy greens and vegetables.

And a comment on soda.... its addicting. People drink that nasty stuff by the gallon.

I drink large glasses of water, all day long. Nothing but. Give it a try if not already doing it.

Originally Posted by Shannow
Fruit was the reason that our propensity to develop diabetes (insulin resistance) was an evolutionary advantage.

Fruit is seasonal...very seasonal...like 10% of the year seasonal...and we worked out how to eat nothing but fruit when it was available, and pack it into fat to use through winter.

Eating fruit every day of the year because we can get it globally, through refrigeration etc...takes that evolutionary advantage, and makes exactly what the OP describes happen

Total calorie intake and activity level are basically going to determine weight gain or loss...the only foods you can eat in large quantities without gaining weight are those that are low in calories.
Fruit tends to be high calorie and you will gain weight if you eat a lot of it!

Ding Ding Ding!
Local library may have a copy of "The Digital ManTrap"
I suggest you read up a bit.

Other have said it already, to lose weight, calories in < calories out.

To really get a handle on things, you need a food scale and measure in grams.

I've lost over 50# since I was suspected of T2D. I started with 225g carbs/day (lower carb, but certainly not keto) and I do about 40% protein, 30% both fat and carbs.

The goal was no more than 60g carbs/meal and another 45g/day in snacks. I've dropped my carb goals down to 200g/day now, meaning about 55g/meal and about 35g in snacks give or take.

My fasting blood sugars are normal almost every morning simply by limiting my carb intake.

I don't deny myself anything, but I don't allow myself to eat as much as I once did.

Using the food scale is key. Measuring cups and other estimation methods usually result in serious inaccuracy.

Check out this story from the BBC about an actress who thought she had a slow metabolism. Spoiler alert, she is bad at estimating how much she eats.

simply TOO many carbs that turn into sugar + raise your insulin + sugar levels. be it bread even whole grain organic, any pasta, potatoes, + the whole list of empty caloried -lacking nutrition junk foods, + NO vegetable oils that are actually chemically processed seed oils, soy, canola + corn oils are all junk. eat real butter, fatty meats + whole eggs to feel fuller + curb hunger + cut carbs drastically as low as you can! check out KenDBerryMD a real Dr that gives you the real truth about foods + fasting benefits, lots of informative you-tubes that inform you + tell you the many LIES that DR's today tell you as the likely do not take the time to learn the truth. it will take time but even most type II diabetics can be CURED. its up to YOU to control your weight which is a big part of getting healthier!

Originally Posted by atikovi
A banana, a pear, half a 20oz can of pineapple chunks, cup of grapes,

Way too much sugar in each of these things.

Try granny smiths, but you only want 2 maybe 3 fruit portions a day.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by javacontour
Check out this story from the BBC about an actress who thought she had a slow metabolism. Spoiler alert, she is bad at estimating how much she eats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o
I've seen that too. People aren't doing the math right, or are in denial. That said, there are the Pima Indians who are evolved to have a very low BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) due to their history in a rough climate.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
Originally Posted by javacontour
Check out this story from the BBC about an actress who thought she had a slow metabolism. Spoiler alert, she is bad at estimating how much she eats. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA9AdlhB18o
I've seen that too. People aren't doing the math right, or are in denial. That said, there are the Pima Indians who are evolved to have a very low BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) due to their history in a rough climate.

But what is the BMR vs TDEE? BMR is just basic housekeeping. Keeping the lights on if you will in the body. Once you start walking around, etc, you burn calories above the BMR rate.

So even if someone has a lower BMR, and how much lower can it be as bio chemistry is pretty much the same. Differences in BMR are going to be what 100-200 calories/day at the most?

Originally Posted by 08z06
too much sugar?

Too many replies to read but I agree that you are eating way too many fruits/sugars.
Eat more veggies and eliminate potatoes & bread. as there too many carbs there. Incorporate some protein in your diet and drink a lot of water. Push the gallon/day when you can. Do cardio type of excercise with some light weights.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
In additon to the autophagy intermittent fasting plan to burn fat above, one can get more veggies+probiotics+enzymes+ other natural stuff into your diet by popping capsules of:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Or, you could just eat Soylent Green.

You want to get lean ditch the fruit for the most part a piece here and their generally after workouts. Track what you eat target your macro intake for calories for weight you want to be. Exercise min 4 to 5days a week cardio at least two with heart rate elevated. Getting lean dump the light weights and learn to lift heavy.

Originally Posted by PimTac

Or, you could just eat Soylent Green.

Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Just exercise more and get an Apple watch. You can get a model 3 for around $200 or model 4 for $350. It will keep track of your daily activity, and you can figure out your intake manually on a program like myfitnesspal. I lost 7 lbs in 1 mo just by setting my minimum activity (exercise) level to 1000 calories/day and cutting out junk food, with no other food adjustments except limiting myself to 2 beers/wk. On the weekends I use 1500-2000 calories/day beyond my BMR. By setting the minimum, you almost always do more, and I walk anywhere within 4 mi that doesn't require me to carry a lot. It's almost as fast as rush hour traffic too, so you don't lost much time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back