Filtering and reusing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Langanobob
He only has 500 miles on the oil but he rides hard. I think what he's asking is there any benefit to draining and straining the oil through a coffee filter every few hundred miles in between the regularly scheduled oil changes.

This is how I read it also. Not re-using 2000 mile oil, but draining and coffee filtering the oil every 500 miles then putting it back in.

From what I can find, coffee filters are ~20 microns, so a decent particle size will be caught. Is it worth the hassle of doing it and would there be any benefit?
Don't know anything about this engine, but from a quick google search, this thing has both oil filters and oil screens, so the engine is already filtering the oil.
Why go through the hassle of draining, filtering and pouring back in (as well as having to use some new oil for top off)?

The challenge is how to keep the oil from contaminant during the process of draining, filtering and putting it back into the engine.

A clean to the eyes container can or coffee filter, may have bigger contaminant than that of the one there.

He only has 500 miles on the oil but he rides hard. I think what he's asking is there any benefit to draining and straining the oil through a coffee filter every few hundred miles in between the regularly scheduled oil changes.

I don't see any harm to it. You could try it once and see what the coffee filter picks up. If there's anything visible in it then yes, it might be worthwhile.

I'd like to see those used coffee filter pictures posted here. Who knows what you are going to find unless you try it.

Originally Posted by zzyzzx

I don't see any harm to it. You could try it once and see what the coffee filter picks up. If there's anything visible in it then yes, it might be worthwhile.

I'd like to see those used coffee filter pictures posted here. Who knows what you are going to find unless you try it.

I have done this before.
I changed the oil in my Scion @ 5000 miles for warranty. I was using synthetic and I am sure there was nothing wrong with the oil, so when I drained it, I drained it into a clean 5 qt jug. Used the oil for top off oil in my truck and brother in laws truck. Before using it, I filtered it through a coffee filter (poured it from the 5 qt jug into a 1 qt bottle, used the filter to make sure it was clean).
The coffee filter had nothing in it that I could see.

If this was a moped or other bike with no filter, I would imagine there would be some stuff in it.

Originally Posted by Nikolas
$10000 bike - check
$20 oil change? nah, too spendy!

Indeed!

Op,be nice to your bike. Just change the oil.

Not motorcycle but I've tried filtering engine oil through coffee filter (10w30), it won't go through fast enough if you value your day for more than $1/hr topping it off. If you want to, use a larger pores filter (i.e. cloth, paper towel) and then let your oil filter do the job cleaning out the small stuff. If you are concerned just use cheap new oil.

Originally Posted by Lubener
Originally Posted by MDifabrizio
I have a husqvarna 701 with a motorex lc4 engine 2500 miles and I don't baby it when I ride.

My question is can I dump the oil, drop the screens and filters then run the oil through a coffee filter and re install every few rides? Last oil change was @ 2000 miles.

I can't believe I am reading something so ridiculous like this.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted by MDifabrizio
I have a husqvarna 701 with a motorex lc4 engine 2500 miles and I don't baby it when I ride.

My question is can I dump the oil, drop the screens and filters then run the oil through a coffee filter and re install every few rides? Last oil change was @ 2000 miles.

What's this engine have for an oil filter?

Yeah, a gravity method is a stretch … and forced circulation via a finer filter will cost more than the oil is worth … yet will not remedy all used oil issues …

Similar question so I thought I'd don my fire suit and ask:
I have expensive break-in oil that I dumped after thirty minutes of the engine on the dyno.
What filter is good enough (I have large, commercial coffee filters or could use/add cloth) to get rid of anything the oil filter might have missed. Surely it's not worn out after only thirty minutes.

Because?

This is a three + year old thread. The OP has never returned. There is no point in answering his coffee filter question, because he’s not reading it. Locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back