Need info on modern shark fin style antennas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in the process of putting a new headliner in my '92 Chevy pickup. In the late 90s, a short mobile phone antenna was installed on the roof, which I now want to remove. I'm considering adding a modern style antenna, perhaps a shark fin type. At the moment, the antenna will not be hooked up to anything, just there in the event I add a fancy info-tainment system later (just has a basic media player right now). What would you guys recommend, as I'm not all that up on modern tech?

I hated the little "pigtail" antenna on my FXT and picked up a sharkfin after a year or so.
Was very careful about the installation as I could tell I wasn't going to get an easy second try if I dropped it down a little crooked!
The one I bought wasn't cheap ($150??), but it was a good color match for my paint (helped that the car was newer) and I think I had to get a special one to support Sirius XM (hazy on that point, could be wrong).
Mine came with hardware that screwed in to the existing connector much like the pigtail...I honestly don't know how you could put one on attached to nothing and then try to make attachments later, though.

My 300 came with one. But I know the Durango guys love that upgrade from the little pigtail looking one. They usually go through Visual Garage, as they'll even paint match it to your vehicle.

My Tacoma has a regular whip antenna, and a shark fin antenna. I thought the latter was just for the XM. But I could be wrong

I removed the old antenna this evening, there is a sub-panel (roof reinforcement) just below the antenna hole. So, whatever I do, it's gonna be slightly cramped for wires. I may email Crutchfield and see if they have any suggestions. Thanks.

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Refurbing the old beast rather than a new one with all the dreaded tech?

Actually, it needs very little. Been garaged/carported for the past 27 years. Still runs great with original drivetrain. No airbags or backup cam etc, has manual windows and door locks!

[Linked Image]

That old beasts paint is so much nicer than the new 60 thousand dollar water based orange pealed garbage they are selling now. Amazing....

Very nice … had a GMC with that body style …
… and still love Reg cab SWB/short box (GM has ended production of these)

Beautiful truck. Always liked those wheels too and the monochrome look. Bucket seats?

BITD you could get white corner reflectors to replace the yellow ones.

Thanks. The "Sport" model came with bucket seats/console & same wheels etc. as the Super Sport models. I'll check out the marker/reflectors.

Originally Posted by oemjunk
That old beasts paint is so much nicer than the new 60 thousand dollar water based orange pealed garbage they are selling now. Amazing....

I think you may be forgetting all the GM vehicles that had their water based paint flakng off in patches, from that era.

Although from what we can see, this one looks good.

Originally Posted by Rumble
Beautiful truck. Always liked those wheels too and the monochrome look. Bucket seats?

BITD you could get white corner reflectors to replace the yellow ones.

Thanks. The "Sport" model came with bucket seats/console & same wheels etc. as the Super Sport models. I'll check out the marker/reflectors.

Reminds me of my neighbors SS454

Thanks for the comments everyone. I've decided to just keep this old roof mount antenna in place, as it has double o-ring seals and has never leaked (I will be putting on new o-rings though).

Originally Posted by 02SE
Originally Posted by oemjunk

I think you may be forgetting all the GM vehicles that had their water based paint flakng off in patches, from that era.

Although from what we can see, this one looks good.

1st gen tech from DuPont and PPG who supplied all the American OEMs - the primer was waterborne but the color coats were solventborne. At the same time, BASF was rolling out all waterborne paint to Daimler and VW and they didn't have the same problems.

Most of these new systems will play nice with an old-school antenna. If you decide to get a shark fin or a OEM type AM/FM/SiriusXM antenna, it will need to have power for the antenna amp/booster. The radio's remote turn on leads(blue & blue/white on aftermarket radios) or a relay wired to activate off an ignition-switched circuit will work to provide +12V.

I think finding a deck to fit into that truck is more of a challenge though, I recall GM used a weird setup before they changed the interior on the 1996-1999 trucks that used the standard Delco radio. I think a nice Alpine/Clarion/JVC/Kenwood/Pioneer can fit into the bigger dash space.

Nice truck BTW, it looks like the 454SS. I think the GMT400s are the best looking truck GM put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back