Filtering and reusing oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a husqvarna 701 with a motorex lc4 engine 2500 miles and I don't baby it when I ride.

My question is can I dump the oil, drop the screens and filters then run the oil through a coffee filter and re install every few rides? Last oil change was @ 2000 miles.

I don't believe that a coffee filter is sufficient enough to filter out all of the contaminants of used motor oil. Not in the way the re-refined used motor oils are. Such as the previous(I don't see it anymore), Valvoline Next Generation Oils were. I'd just put in new oil.

Originally Posted by MDifabrizio
I have a husqvarna 701 with a motorex lc4 engine 2500 miles and I don't baby it when I ride.

My question is can I dump the oil, drop the screens and filters then run the oil through a coffee filter and re install every few rides? Last oil change was @ 2000 miles.

I can't believe I am reading something so ridiculous like this.

Last edited:

NO!!!

At times when I've changed oil based on time more than miles, I've used the cleaner oil for the chainsaw bar oil. If it's lighter weight synthetic oil I may mix it for ‘winter' use.

You could do something like that and use the oil for top-off oil in motorcycle, or lawnmower oil, chainsaw bar lube. Error on the side of caution and use two coffee filters.
21.gif
I would extend the OCI to 3,000-3,500 miles and be done with it.

Don't you mean Rotax engine?
Yes you can do it.
Its not worth it for sure.
You can clean and lube your chaing with that oil though,or use it as e general hinge lubricant penetration oil etc....

Originally Posted by Panos

Don't you mean Rotax engine?

Don't you mean KTM engine?
confused.gif

Just the potential mess of transfering the oil between containers would be a non starter. Not to mention that some of the additives get consumed during use.

He only has 500 miles on the oil but he rides hard. I think what he's asking is there any benefit to draining and straining the oil through a coffee filter every few hundred miles in between the regularly scheduled oil changes.

I don't see any harm to it. You could try it once and see what the coffee filter picks up. If there's anything visible in it then yes, it might be worthwhile.

I agree with the above post, the oil isn't outside the specified change interval, just an in between and reuse. Actually would be curious what shows up when he does that.

I suppose you could use some kind of toilet paper filter arrangement like many in-vehicle bypass filters use if you are willing to wait for the oil to soak through...many users of bypass filters will run their oil for tens of thousands of miles.
I imagine a significant portion of the oil from a small sump would end up staying in the TP, though....might not be worth it.

I doubt a coffee filter will do jack...

The issue with fine filtration is that oil shear, additive depletion and liquid blowby contaminates are not addressed.

Over enough time, you could end up with an oil that is diluted by as much as 25% gasoline by products, a few grades below spec and acidic.

The oil change is the only way to ensure clean, serviceable oil.

HOWEVER, ongoing submicronic filtration has some significant advantages, as the oil never accumulates larger particulates. Such particulates are known to contribute to timing chain and piston ring wear.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back