How much torque in impact guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I am looking at purchasing my first set of power tools.

I am starting with a 1/2" impact gun/wrench.

I will need it for things like driveshaft bolts, crank bolts, flywheel bolts etc.

How much torque is sufficient to undo these bolts?

I will also be using this to undo wheel nuts, other suspension bolts etc.

Watch "RealToolReviews" on Youtube and this will give you an idea to help you make a more informed decision. It's not gospel, only a good guideline to work with.

The quality of the tool as well as the pressure and CFM has lots to do with a tools performance. Our service vans at work have huge compressors and I don.t know the CFM but we turned then up to over 175 psi and lesser half inch impacts would immediately break the anvils . The good ones would hammer off lug nuts on a semi truck wheels. A 1 inch impact would be normally be used.

Unless you have a large compressor I would suggest you go cordless. Some of the cordless impact wrenches are very powerful. If you go cordless, I would suggest to pick a manufacturer battery platform and then see about their impact wrench. You do not want to end up with many cordless tools, each has its own unique battery and charger.

I am a fan of the Milwaukee M18 Fuel cordless tools.

It also depends what other cordless tools you might want? Drills, saws, etc.

Air impact tools use very little air, so a modest compressor will run one. Die grinders and cut off tools use a LOT of air and will need a big compressor for extended use. Tire filling takes modest air compressor capacity...so do air ratchets, but I find that I use my electric ratchets far more than my air ratchets.

Size your compressor accordingly.

Rated torque doesn't seem to mean much for comparing tools. Good quality air tools are the key.

I've got several air impacts, but honestly, that's because I started cheap, and when that didn't meet every need, stepped up to better tools.

Start with something like this:

https://www.ingersollrandproducts.com/en-us/power-tools/products/impactools/2235timax-series.html

And you'll only need one impact.

Get good quality impact sockets and a few extensions.

Last edited:
Air is yesterdays news, Electric is the way now

Buy an M18 Fuel 1/2" impact and you'll be set for what ever bolt you throw at it. Make sure to buy impact sockets.

Originally Posted by thescreensavers

Buy an M18 Fuel 1/2" impact and you'll be set for what ever bolt you throw at it. Make sure to buy impact sockets.

even a honda crank pully bolt?

Originally Posted by Chris142

even a honda crank pully bolt?

My M18 Fuel impact has removed several Honda Crank bolts and it barely even had to hammer on them. I have also used it to remove many Honda axle nuts.

Last edited:
Just don't become a tool yourself and use an impact for valve cover bolts and the like.

Last edited:
What is your budget and is this for Pro work or DIY?

My electric impact is rated for 300 foot pounds and handles most. I am looking at the new Ridgid impact that is rated for 480 on and 600 in reverse.

Dewalts new brushless and the Milwaukee M18 fuel are very nice but cost more.

A lot of at home wrenchers have an ingersolrand thunder gun. A very powerful tried and true design used in many professional applications. I dont own one but have the knock off from Northern Tool. One of Northerns Tool house brands is Klutch, its the exact same thing as the IR Thunder Gun but black and says Klutch. I bought it for 89.99 on sale a year or two ago compared the the IR will cost 250 - 300.

Another useful tool would be a stubby 3/8 impact. I have an aircat stubby that works very well and is extremely powerful with three levels of power. Going cordless would be great, but replacing all my air tools with something like Milwaukee would cost me thousands. I have no problem being plugged in to an air hose.

During the Home Depot Christmas sale last year I purchased A Husky 3/8 cordless ratchet for 50.00 bucks, it even came with a 3/8 and 1/2 socket set. For small jobs that do not required lots of torque its great.

To start out I would recommend a good 1/2 impact for high torque needs like wheels and suspension, 3/8 stubby for brakes and tight spots and a 3/8 cordless ratchet. Unless you are a starting out professional just aquiring tools for the first time buying the top of the line name brand is not nescessary. I believe I bought these three items for less than 225.00.

I have a few Aircat impact guns and air tools. For the money they are hard to beat. My only regret is I didn't use air tools a few decades sooner.

I bought one of those old IR Air Impact used on Ebay for $35 shipped.
It looks banged up but still operational.
Dismantle it, put some fresh high temp grease and it was good to go.
It can zipped just about anything.

Just looked it up, if the OP needs the model # its a Klutch G10. 10k rpm's and 700 ft lbs. Its a Ingersoll Rand painted black with a different name on it. But, if you can find a used ebay unit for 35 bucks thats a deal!

That would depend on the fasteners you want to remove wouldn't it. Some fasteners requite much bigger and more powerful tools than that.

Originally Posted by Trav

That would depend on the fasteners you want to remove wouldn't it. Some fasteners requite much bigger and more powerful tools than that.

Bingo. I had a tire rotation done over the winter, [a mistake I was lazy and it was cold] with a NYS inspection. My battery powered Mikita, and a friend's Milwaukee was not busting the lug nuts loose, the Blue Point impact wasn't doing it either. I had to break out the Aircat 1150 to get them off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back