Eating more fruit, not losing any weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A banana, a pear, half a 20oz can of pineapple chunks, cup of grapes or blueberries, half pack black raspberries, 3-4 Capri tomatoes. Been having 2 or 3 of those choices most every day for the last month. Don't keep track of what else I eat but assume I'm eating less of other things I normally do. I mean, if I have the banana an hour before dinner, I assume I eat less dinner. A month later my weight hasn't gone down, [censored], I think I may have gained a pound or two. WTH?

Fruit was the reason that our propensity to develop diabetes (insulin resistance) was an evolutionary advantage.

Fruit is seasonal...very seasonal...like 10% of the year seasonal...and we worked out how to eat nothing but fruit when it was available, and pack it into fat to use through winter.

Eating fruit every day of the year because wecan get it globally, through refrigeration etc...takes that evolutionary advantage, and makes exactly what the OP describes happen

Total calorie intake and activity level are basically going to determine weight gain or loss...the only foods you can eat in large quantities without gaining weight are those that are low in calories.
Fruit tends to be high calorie and you will gain weight if you eat a lot of it!

I remember a 20/20 story about a woman who went nuts with the "low fat" (usually meaning also high carbs) trend of a decade or more ago and was frustrated about not losing weight.
Her roommate was thin and fit and the heavier gal complained on camera that she ate low fat ice cream and gained weight while the other gal ate premium IC and stayed thin.
The roommate burst out with, "Yeah, but I don't eat a quart of ice cream every night!!!"

Fruit does have a lot of sugar, which causes insulin spikes, blood sugar spiking, etc., not good. As long as the servings are small and spread out, fruit is healthy (anti-oxidants, vitamins, you know). Vegetables are really better, like brocoli, kale, spinach, small amounts of carrots, stuff I don't like much !

I had this conversation recently. I think it's age preventing the body from going out and grabbing fat-cell lipids to burn.
Some doctors have been recommending "autophagy" intermittent fasting, and I've been doing that for the past 2 weeks, almost done with my first set.
https://www.doctoroz.com/gallery/15-day-plan-reset-your-body?gallery=true

Lower insulin means greater fat loss:
"One of the great benefits of intermittent fasting that I've written about often is that it promotes autophagy, the cellular self-cleansing process that breaks down and recycles damaged molecules and cellular organelles. ... During the fasted state, as insulin drops, autophagy increases dramatically, perhaps 5-fold." -- https://medium.com/the-mission/the-sweet-spot-for-intermittent-fasting-9aae12a2158c

[Linked Image]

The drums have beating the tune "refined sugar bad but fruit is the magic elixir" for a long time now. The truth is a bit more complex than that simple song.

Lots of songs over the years about the magic that will get you healthy and lose weight. First fix the total calories to get the weight where it needs to be. Then mix up those same calories into a more healthful mix, paying attention to sugars (all kinds, natural and refined), cholesterol & the other boogie men.

In additon to the autophagy intermittent fasting plan to burn fat above, one can get more veggies+probiotics+enzymes+ other natural stuff into your diet by popping capsules of:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Not sure about the whole fruits but reading the label on the pineapple says 4.5 servings per container at 60 calories per serving is 135 calories for half a can. Can't imagine the others on the list would be much more, so three of these a day is 400 calories. Doesn't seem like a whole lot in a typical 2,000 calorie daily average if it's just replacing some other foods.

Wife lost 50 lbs on the paleo diet in about 6 months.
Plus she is eating like a pig on the diet.

Meats, fats, veggies. What we ate as hunter gatheres. The diet we recently evolved from.

but no wheat gluten, grain flours or cheese or milk.

I do see some starches around like plantains.

Me , I like cereals and rice so I am 30lbs over where i should be.

Cut the calories and fruit contains lots of sugar. Portion control is the key. You can't tell by looking at me though. .

Losing weight is all in the mind. It is so freakin obvious. Everybody knows how to lose weight. Do more and eat less. If you can't do it, it's your fault. You have to do it. If you don't have the will power, it's not going to happen.

Bananas are loaded with sugar. You are not losing weight b/c you are not cutting down your sugar intake. I have lost 10 pounds just by switching from regular Coke to Coke Zero Sugar.

Fruits Contain the Most Sugar?
#6 Bananas. A three-ounce serving of bananas contains 10.1 grams of sugar, with 76 calories, making it among the most calorie-dense fruits.
#5 Cherries. ...
#4 Pomegranates. ...
#3 Mangos. ...
#2 Grapes. ...
#1 Figs. ...

Eat more veggies instead of more fruits. Instead of a banana a day, how about one roma tomato and half a cucumber a day, and every day going forward. Eat more tofu to replace proteins in meats. Minimize eating carbs like rice, noodles, and spaghettis.

I've written in detail on this subject here before. Total calories is only part of it because the glycemic index of carbs varies wildly. And if you eat sugar (even fruits) too close to your meal, or with it, you're making the cardinal sin of weight loss by mixing sugar with your fats and proteins....which helps to deposit fast MUCH faster in your body. Fat burning is a science where how you mix your foods and when during the day is as important as the foods themselves. Plenty of articles on line about this. Check out nutritionfacts.org

I have a banana every day with my oats breakfast (oats, flax meal, pea protein, cocoa powder, cinnamon, raisins, soy milk). It's a higher carb meal with modest protein. I have a handful of walnuts about 20 min before breakfast to help minimize the insulin spike that's coming with a higher carb breakfast. Walnuts are powerful antioxidants as well.

I have a fruit snack (apple or pinneapple/bluberries/oranges) about 30-60 minutes before lunch as an energy boost and to get the metabolism revving before lunch. Eat that fruit too close to lunch (especially the apple) and it will screw up the digestion of your proteins. I sometimes have a nut/seed snack between lunch and dinner (almonds, walnuts, figs, pumpkin or sunflower seeds, 1/2 oz of dark chocolate, swig of soy milk....about 300-400 cal). Sometimes that snack becomes an actual early dinner.

The rest of the day's foods are basically fish/chicken/egg protein with veggies/salad OR beans/rice/grains with veggies/salad. No fruits. And the only other fat I use with those meals is avocado and EVCP olive oil....which are high quality fats. The fats you eat are important to weight loss too. Too little fat and you won't lose weight as easily. Ironically, most people eat too little fat and too many carbs to get proper fat burning. In a sense, eating fat revs your metabolism and helps burn old fat.....but only the higher quality fats (EVOO, avocado, fish oil from fish, eggs, nuts, seeds Your body needs high quality fats (omega 3 and 9) for losing weight more than it does the fruits. The fruits are great for vitamins, minerals and anti-oxidants....of which you need.

To get lasting weight loss one has to eat right. No dieting. Just eat right and eat a lot of great foods. Can the excess sugar, salt, fried foods, white bleached flour, boxed pasta....and in general all wheat flours and breads. Go for quality proteins, salads, veggies, quality fruit, nuts, seeds, grains.

Outside of food you need these other factors for optimal weight loss. I followed what I preach when I dropped from 220 lbs to 170 lbs in 2009 over 8 months. I became fit and lean at age 55 for the first time since I was in my 20's. Yeah, you can lose weight if you're older.

Exercise....even just walking 1-2 miles per day.....which besides toning your muscles and burning carbs/fat....also flushes contaminants out of your body. Try to do something aerobic for 20-30 min 2-3X/week.
Sleep.....7 hrs +......ideally covering 10 pm to 2 pm when your body does more repairs of your tissues. Too little sleep can kill weight loss...or at at least slow it down.
Water intake - 64-96 ounces (I drink several glasses of green tea as part of that). This flushes out contaminants from your body.

Consult your doctor on any radical change in your exercise/life style.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by camryrolla
I have lost 10 pounds just by switching from regular Coke to Coke Zero Sugar.

And isn't that a whole other topic of controversy? The artificial sweeteners while 0 calories, make you crave other food?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Originally Posted by camryrolla
I have lost 10 pounds just by switching from regular Coke to Coke Zero Sugar.

And isn't that a whole other topic of controversy? The artificial sweeteners while 0 calories, make you crave other food?

Not to mention the potential chemical poisons that diet drinks have. If you're having a diet drink, learn to drink water or green tea instead. You'll never miss the diet or regular soda once you break the mental and physical dependence. That's also true of sugary, processed and fried foods. Besides being general poisons to your body, there are other chemicals often laced in those processed foods to make you crave more. Ever figure out why you can't stop eating processed pizza, chips, etc.?

If I had to limit the concept of proper weight loss in one sentence. It would be: Eat more quality proteins and healthy omega 3/9 fats and a lot less junk/processed foods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back