PS filter installed, 97 Maxima

Status
Not open for further replies.
It all started after I saw a post about inline PS filters. After weeks of deliberation, waiting for parts etc., it is finally done.
I used an Empi 9245 remote filter mount and Fram PH3164. Having the filter mounted base down, setting the fluid level was more work than expected; even after 75 miles of driving, I'm not sure all the air is out of the filter. I filled it with Maxlife ATF.

IMG_3630.JPG

IMG_3631.JPG

IMG_3632.JPG

Last edited:
So did you do this because you like to tinker or because of a perceived need to do so?

Originally Posted by E150GT
So if you have to change it you're going to make a huge mess?

Great question.
OP, what are your thoughts on this???

Originally Posted by maxdustington
OCOD? Come on man, get an Ultra on there!

Why? What's wrong with the Extended Guard?

Originally Posted by E150GT
So if you have to change it you're going to make a huge mess?

I'm not going to make a huge mess; I installed the filter mount so that PS flushes will be free of spills. That's why I chose that location and the long hoses. I already flushed the PS system after the plumbing was done.
Step 1. Unscrew the filter mount from the bracket (I tapped 2 M6 threads in the mount)
Step 2. Lift mount and twist it slightly
Step 3. Place suitable bucket (aka 32 floz yogurt container) underneath
Step 4. Unscrew the filter, drains to bucket
Flushing is a few extra steps.

Originally Posted by Imp4
So did you do this because you like to tinker or because of a perceived need to do so?

The ATF I had in there was rather clean and the right color, I kind of felt bad to change it.
I wanted spill free PS flushes which were hard to do in the Maxima, as both the inlet and outlet are at the bottom of the reservoir. Filtering was a plus, and the tinkering itch got scratched for sure.

Last edited:

Well, I thought about it for some time. I have some PH3614, I also have some M1-102. I decided that dome end bypass would be better in this scenario. I plan on changing it after 40k miles, I hope it holds up.

I'm all for maintenance projects, but for 22 years it worked fine without the filter. What was the impetus for installing this? Fun?

Originally Posted by zorobabel

Well, I thought about it for some time. I have some PH3614, I also have some M1-102. I decided that dome end bypass would be better in this scenario. I plan on changing it after 40k miles, I hope it holds up.

Most cars dont have a P/S filter, so it shouldn't be an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back