Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by john_pifer
Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by das_peikko
It's got two stick shifts.
confused2.gif

4wd range. You're looking at a tarted up LandCruiser.

Tarted up 4 Runner.

The tarted up Land Cruiser is the LX570. Much bigger truck.

Great find. This is a nice truck.

This doesn't share a platform with the 4Runner, does it?

Well, apparently, it's based on the Prado, which isn't available in the US, but which has several commonalities with the 4 Runner.

So, not exactly a 4 Runner, but power train and suspension shared.

The GX 470 is a much smaller vehicle than the Land Cruiser/GX570.

I still like it very much, but it's not exactly a 4 Runner.

Last edited:
looks like it was running 5/30 dino from Lexus shops think I run a few hi Ca formulas from M1 to clean things up a bit.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by Ws6
Originally Posted by das_peikko
It's got two stick shifts.
confused2.gif

4wd range. You're looking at a tarted up LandCruiser.

Tarted up 4 Runner.

The tarted up Land Cruiser is the LX570. Much bigger truck.

Great find. This is a nice truck.

that's my understanding too; GX (4Runner) vs LX (Land Cruiser)

still, GX is highly reputable vehicle!

Well, apparently, it's based on the Prado, which isn't available in the US, but which has several commonalities with the 4 Runner.

So, not exactly a 4 Runner, but power train and suspension shared.

The GX 470 is a much smaller vehicle than the Land Cruiser/GX570.

I still like it very much, but it's not exactly a 4 Runner.

It is Prado. I have in Europe 2004 Prado with diesel engine. I drove in the US a lot GX470, and difference is that GX470 is much more "plush." Sound isolation, audio system etc. Driving dynamic is same, except you can get Prado with manual transmission and more engine choices.
They are pretty good off road (that is reason I got it), not so much in snow. Actually any FWD car with snow tires is better in snow.

LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
Your Lexus is equipped with a limited-slip center differential (transfer).
If one wheel - either front or rear - begins to spin, the transfer (limited-slip center differential) is designed to aid traction by automatically transmitting driving force to the wheels on the other drive axle. It transmits driving force to the front wheels if a rear wheel spins, and to the rear wheels if a front wheel spins.

Originally Posted by dblshock
LIMITED-SLIP DIFFERENTIAL
Your Lexus is equipped with a limited-slip center differential (transfer).
If one wheel - either front or rear - begins to spin, the transfer (limited-slip center differential) is designed to aid traction by automatically transmitting driving force to the wheels on the other drive axle. It transmits driving force to the front wheels if a rear wheel spins, and to the rear wheels if a front wheel spins

Are you talking about snow performance?
Going forward is just one aspect of snow performance, and one in which no one dies!
And yeah, I would say we are all pretty aware what is LSD.

Last edited:
I thought a GX had locking diffs also. I have a 1/4 mile uphill once I'm out of the drive so going through 8-10" is important occasionally...tires make or break stopping...this GX has Latitudes now with 6/32

Last edited:
I thought a GX had locking diffs also. I have a 1/4 mile uphill once I'm out of the drive so going through 8-10" is important occasionally...tires make or break stopping...this GX has Latitudes now with 6/32

It is good going forward in situations like that. I have on Prado snow tires, and any kind of incline, regardless how difficult, it will negotiate easily.
Problem is that the vehicle is seriously dynamically handicapped, and on slick surface or curves etc. lack of any talent for dynamic is showing when vehicle carries a bit of speed. If you push it a bit, and tires lose grip, returning vehicle to proper line is seriously challenging. And it is not hard to lose grip with these vehicles.
They are good cars, and in Prado's case, really good off road with diesel engine, but if someone is buying vehicle for snow, I would get any AWD vehicle over this.

that can be said of most cars on ice and finding the ideal tire is impossible...my basic T4R SR5 does fine once all the anti slip systems are shut down...GX drive line is the same as a Land Cruiser...can't be all that bad...lol

that can be said of most cars on ice and finding the ideal tire is impossible...my basic T4R SR5 does fine once all the anti slip systems are shut down...GX drive line is the same as a Land Cruiser...can't be all that bad...lol

LOL, not tires. Off roader's in general are not good in snow. The vehicle is a dud even on dry, and snow requires different capabilities than off road. You cannot expect from that drive line to have any kind of decent dynamic capabilities.
It is good vehicle for what it is made.

picked it up today, dove 100 mi. home really smooth no stumbles engine or trans..give it a couple weeks to be sure the fluids are stable then I'll refresh them...got the TCW-3 flowing.

Fluids all stable, no leaks so next was to change out pumpkins , transfer and trans fluids...3hrs. on the rack and the fluids were nasty although CarFax had Lexus on this 67k ago...got suspension parts ordered for next week looks like we'll get this road ready updated for less than $12k which is crazy for such a clean Lexus.

[Linked Image]

been zipping thru all the obvious, diffs, trans, suspension links, 15/40 for summer now shocks $570ea. retail... yikes! brakes, polish wait til you see this very cool.

Last edited:
Very clean, congrats. My wife had a 2014 GX460 for 60,000 miles that was absolutely trouble free and we'd still have it if it fit 3 car seats better. I did the diffs and transfer case on it and 0W20 Mobil 1 every 10k., otherwise it needed nothing. I still see it around town.

How's the rear suspension? A lot of folks cut the air bags out and put regular springs and shocks instead, which is a shame as the original suspension is very good.

Hey there! I also just switched from a T100 to a 03 gx470 a few months ago. Amazing vehicle. 210k miles with good service history, recent air bag replacement (expensive) and it great shape other that a little bit of paint peeling on some of the plastic. Got it for $5800 and I couldn't be happier.

Glad to see another owner on here. Other than the fact we are mortal enemies when it comes to the thick vs thin debate
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back