PUP Intervals (Loaded question)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a loaded question, but I will be changing the oil on my 02 4.6 F-150 with PUP 5w-20. The truck is daily driven around town and doesn't see any towing. Just a family hauler. I know that no oil company will give out a drain interval but wanted to ask the experts here on what their opinions are on my question. Thanks all!

Originally Posted by ad244
How many miles and condition of truck (leaking or burning fluids) ?

Just hit 190K and zero leaks and doesn't smoke nor does it consume any oil.

How is air and oil filter? Any good oil is only good if the other filters are up to par. OE parts? I say 6-7k but if it's your first oci with pup you might have a slight consumption like I did as I used magnatec first. Only lost about half a qt over a 10k mi oci on pup 0w20

Originally Posted by Marco620
How is air and oil filter? Any good oil is only good if the other filters are up to par. OE parts? I say 6-7k but if it's your first oci with pup you might have a slight consumption like I did as I used magnatec first. Only lost about half a qt over a 10k mi oci on pup 0w20

Brand new Motorcraft Air filter and Motorcraft Oil filter will be installed when I change the oil. I'm kinda a Ford purist lol.

Whatever interval you been running to get that kind of mileage out it. I wouldn't change anything. 190k so something is working.

Originally Posted by tiger862
Whatever interval you been running to get that kind of mileage out it. I wouldn't change anything. 190k so something is working.

Bought it from the original owner last August so this would be my first oil change on the truck. Previous owner was in his late 70's and the truck was probably never beat on in it's life.

Originally Posted by Twisted1

Bought it from the original owner last August so this would be my first oil change on the truck. Previous owner was in his late 70's and the truck was probably never beat on in it's life.

Then I would go 5k take a sample then send that in to make sure no hidden problem. Adjust it then. 7500 I think would be safe although I would be concerned about the chain guides

Originally Posted by Twisted1

Then I would go 5k take a sample then send that in to make sure no hidden problem. Adjust it then. 7500 I think would be safe although I would be concerned about the chain guides

That's some great advice Tiger. I think I'll do that and order a sample kit from Blackstone.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
I'd say around 15k for PUP if I use it on a car that's easy on oil. 10k if conservative about it.

Any personal experience with PUP @ 10K-15K oci?

By 10-15K you will be running tar. I don't trust ANY oil for that mileage. I use M1 EP and the jug says 15 or 20K or something like that ... I dump it @ 7500. Tar out, fresh oil in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OilUzer
By 10-15K you will be running tar. I don't trust ANY oil for that mileage. I use M1 EP and the jug says 15 or 20K or something like that ... I dump it @ 7500. Tar out, fresh oil in.

I think Tiger was right about going 5k and sending it out for analysis. If all comes back well I'll push it to 7500 and see how that does.

Good idea. I've never done uoa. Sounds like doing it once or twice is a waste of $ since you need to establish a pattern ...

With a good syn like PUP, 5K may be too early. 10K maybe more reasonable like Panda said.
I'm more conservative and go with 7500. With dino I may push it to 5K. Prefer 4500 max.

7500 sounds good! But one poster made a good point about the timing chain guides being affected if the oil breaks down too much.

I'd get a UOA as Tiger stated. I would not base it on a hunch, a guess based on someone else's opinion, or a blanket statement. Right now you can get a UOA done with TBN for about $10.00 + shipping. That will eliminate all guess work.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
I'd say around 15k for PUP if I use it on a car that's easy on oil. 10k if conservative about it.

That advice is ridiculous for any engine over 2L and more than 4 cylinders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back