Not open for further replies.

gathermewool

Site Donor 2023
Model: 921050
Ariens Platinum SHO 24
Time: ~5 hrs

The oil was just changed.

I'm looking for recommendations on three of the listed maintenance items:

1. Ariens high-temp grease: specs show NLGI #2 grease --> looking for alternative

1.a. Recommendations for grease gun. I'm new to home-ownership and don't have a grease-gun.

2. General Lubrication: what is this???
-----the manual shows these points as being the chain drive and outer auger shaft.

3. L3 Synthetic Severe Duty Gear Lube: this is for the gear-case

Thanks, guys

Note, I have chain oil that I use for my bicycles. I'll have check out what's in it again.

I also have 3-in-1

No reco on your questions, however, what you have could be my next blower.

How do you like it?
Why didn't you go EFI.
How does it steer and turn?
How does the chute control work - too touchy or OK?
Is the engine too powerful if that is a thing lol.
Is it too fast in 1st gear?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool

The oil was just changed.
I'm looking for recommendations on three of the listed maintenance items:
1. Ariens high-temp grease: specs show NLGI #2 grease --> looking for alternative
1.a. Recommendations for grease gun. I'm new to home-ownership and don't have a grease-gun.
2. General Lubrication: what is this???
-----the manual shows these points as being the chain drive and outer auger shaft.
3. L3 Synthetic Severe Duty Gear Lube: this is for the gear-case
Thanks, guys

1) Tractor supply Co. sells "00" grease in 1 quart bottles
2) Most all chinesium grease guns work to some extent, but the Lincoln is well worth the $35 they charge for it
3) Any used motor oil in a jug sitting around works great for "general lubrication"
4) Pretty much any good quality gear Lube (usually) will do. You PROBABLY will never need to service this!

High temp grase is in 99.9% some EP NLGI 2 lithium complex grease....dont overthink here...you dont need anything from a NASA space shutle program
smile.gif

What I use on my Simplicity... Some GL4 gearoil (because its yellow metals safe...wormgear is made from yellow metal) leftover from a lower unit (I serviced neighbours outboard)

And for a chain and gears...one NLGI 0 calcium/lithium grease...its more sticky and water resistant then regular lithium grease.....

And some whatever oil for a regular maintanance on a frame...

Originally Posted by Danno
No reco on your questions, however, what you have could be my next blower.

1. How do you like it?
2. Why didn't you go EFI.
3. How does it steer and turn?
4. How does the chute control work - too touchy or OK?
5. Is the engine too powerful if that is a thing lol.
6. Is it too fast in 1st gear?

Thanks.

I numbered your questions, for easy response:

1. I've never owned a snow-blower before, and I don't recall the make/model of the ones I've used in the past.
Compared to those I've used in the past, this thing rocks! It barely bogs when going through the heavy road-slush at the end of the driveway!

2. I didn't go EFI, because of the extra cost. I'm in southern New England, so it's not like I'll be blowing through dozens of feet of snow each season. A simple, tried-and-true carb appeals to me.

3. I have a U-shaped driveway. I have to fight this thing a little bit, but it's truly not bad. I have more issues with the irregularities in my driveway causing the skid to jump, but that's also not that big of a deal

4. It has a joy-stick chute control. I actually went in to my local dealer looking between a lower-end Deluxe and the Platinum SHO models. I fully expected to hate the joy-stick, since I tend to opt for more simplistic controls, but found it to be an absolutely joy to play with. Instead of an in-and-out, I spent an hour at the dealer playing with various models and hefting them about for a bit.

5. I debated long and hard about whether to get a larger bucket (28") or smaller engine, but decided, for my size driveway and the often wet and heavy snow we tend to get, that a larger engine and smaller bucket were a better fit. You'll have to take snow type and storage constraints into account when choosing which is best for you.

6. 1st gear is VERY slow. The high gear (I forget which this is), is way too fast for me. I tried this and ended up hitting a crack or irregularity in my driveway that had me stop dead in my tracks, jamming the snowblower right into my belly! OOF!

Originally Posted by Linctex

1) Tractor supply Co. sells "00" grease in 1 quart bottles
2) Most all chinesium grease guns work to some extent, but the Lincoln is well worth the $35 they charge for it
3) Any used motor oil in a jug sitting around works great for "general lubrication"
4) Pretty much any good quality gear Lube (usually) will do. You PROBABLY will never need to service this!

1. Why "00" grease? Wouldn't thicker be better, especially where the auger shaft and bearing zerk fittings are

2. I've been looking at reviews since before I posted and I think I'll be going for the Lincoln gun

3. Would 3-in-1 work in this instance or are EP and AW additives actually needed?

4. I figured that I wouldn't need to service this, but wanted to see what people thought.

Originally Posted by Kamele0N
High temp grase is in 99.9% some EP NLGI 2 lithium complex grease....dont overthink here...you dont need anything from a NASA space shutle program
smile.gif

What I use on my Simplicity... Some GL4 gearoil (because its yellow metals safe...wormgear is made from yellow metal) leftover from a lower unit (I serviced neighbours outboard)

And for a chain and gears...one NLGI 0 calcium/lithium grease...its more sticky and water resistant then regular lithium grease.....

And some whatever oil for a regular maintanance on a frame...

I don't mean to overthink this; I've simply never owned OPE that I needed to grease, so I'm looking for advice.

I'm still new to this stuff, but I thought the lower numbers for grease were less viscous. How can you tell which is stickier or more suitable for wet conditions?

I've been spraying Fluid Film on the frame and fasteners.

//

Finally, I'm looking to also use this oil for any other OPE that might need greasing, such as the string and head of my trimmer. I'd rather go overkill with just one grease than have to buy many different kinds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back