Plain Jane Mobil 1 5w20 2009 Honda CRV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks:

Not sure if this is of any interest or no. I sent in a sample because of a gas smell I noticed from the dipstick, and to try and to track down a small coolant loss I cannot seem to locate.

Not seeing anything crazy here - but defer to the experts.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 222
Looks great! No elevated metals in this sample even with the fuel dilution (and even then it wasn't diluted out of grade).

I might reduce the OCI if it were my vehicle but there is no evidence that your regime is hurting the vehicle. Nice!

Mobil 1 looks great.

Well with the potassium at 1 ppm and Na+ at 5 ppm.. I bet the possibility of coolant in the oil is really quite low.
The oil viscosity looks really good. If the oil smells like gas but the viscosity is still in range that is a very good finding.

Looks good. This is why I went with regular M1 5w20. I believe this grade has less VII and therefore will maintain its viscosity better when there is fuel dilution. I'd stick with it.

buster -

Gen 1 I believe. The Dex logo does not say Gen2. The license number on the back ends in 7015, which also doesn't match the Gen 2 number shown on the website.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by buster
Looks good. This is why I went with regular M1 5w20. I believe this grade has less VII and therefore will maintain its viscosity better when there is fuel dilution. I'd stick with it.

Fuel dilution directly lowers viscosity, and it doesn't matter if it's a higher VII 0w20 or lower 5w20, it will happen.
Looks like this is a case where, at 9k miles, the oil had oxidized in the presence of high fuel dilution as the oil aged in there.

Oxidation raises viscosity, fuel dilution lowers it, so it was creeping back up gradually as oxidation began to take over. Sludge and carbon deposits on rings are the big issues here.

I'd switch to Mobil1 AFE 0w30 (slightly thicker to start with) in this engine this winter in anticipation that fuel dilution will continue to some extent. The slightly thicker 30 weight could seal the rings better.

Since this is a 10 year old vehicle with fuel dilution and questionable ring sealing, I recommend the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10w30 treatment this summer.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies

Fuel dilution directly lowers viscosity, and it doesn't matter if it's a higher VII 0w20 or lower 5w20, it will happen.
Looks like this is a case where, at 9k miles, the oil had oxidized in the presence of high fuel dilution as the oil aged in there.

Oxidation raises viscosity, fuel dilution lowers it, so it was creeping back up gradually as oxidation began to take over. Sludge and carbon deposits on rings are the big issues here.

I'd switch to Mobil1 AFE 0w30 (slightly thicker to start with) in this engine this winter in anticipation that fuel dilution will continue to some extent. The slightly thicker 30 weight could seal the rings better.

Since this is a 10 year old vehicle with fuel dilution and questionable ring sealing, I recommend the Valvoline Premium Blue Restore 10w30 treatment this summer.

Good points but I have to disagree. The oil showed no signs of oxidation. Oils with less VII's tend to hold their viscosity better. This was always Redline's best attribute. The starting viscosity of M1 5w20 is 8.9 cSt @100C. The ending viscosity here was 7.54.

M1 0w30 often loses more viscosity than an oil with less spread like the M1 5w20. I would not recommend that oil here. There are numerous UOA's of modern PCMO 0w30 and 5w30 grades become 20 grades when fuel is present. I'd avoid an oil with a large spread unless it's predominately PAO based like EP 0w20.

Oils that show signs of oxidation usually go a grade up or so. Older Amsoil formulations had that issue, such as the early 2000's Series 2000 0w30.

Originally Posted by Chester11
buster -

Gen 1 I believe. The Dex logo does not say Gen2. The license number on the back ends in 7015, which also doesn't match the Gen 2 number shown on the website.

Mobil 1 met the dexos 1 Gen specs years before the specs became official this past year. At least with the Mobil 1 5W-30. I would assume their Mobil 1 5W-20 was the same for meeting the dexos 1 Gen 2 also before it became "official"

Whimsey

Oils that show signs of oxidation usually go a grade up or so.

Gasoline is thin, and will reduce viscosity, its just reality. (Gasoline is less than 1 cSt kv100.) They won't "go a grade up" if there is fuel dilution. There was a lot of proof of fuel dilution in this one due to low flashpoint, and therefore viscosity took a nosedive.....
The only way to bring it back up is oxidation, so there is our proof oxidation was heavy.
Example:
1. New 5w20 kv100 = 8.9
2. Fuel reduces it by -2.5 to 6.4, which probably occurred ~halfway through this long 9,000 mile run.
3. Oxidation raises it by 1.1 to get the final snapshot in time at the end, 7.5

can someone dumb it down for me - I'm guessing oxidation is normal occurrence. Or is this indicative of a trend?

thanks - learning here...

Gasoline is less than 1 cSt kv100.

Is that raw gasoline straight out of the pump, or after the light volatiles have evaporated (as they would have when mixed in engine oil at op temp for a while)? Or does the kv100 not change as the lighter portions of the gasoline evaporate or boil off?

Gasoline is thin, and will reduce viscosity, its just reality. (Gasoline is less than 1 cSt kv100.) They won't "go a grade up" if there is fuel dilution. There was a lot of proof of fuel dilution in this one due to low flashpoint, and therefore viscosity took a nosedive.....
The only way to bring it back up is oxidation, so there is our proof oxidation was heavy.
Example:
1. New 5w20 kv100 = 8.9
2. Fuel reduces it by -2.5 to 6.4, which probably occurred ~halfway through this long 9,000 mile run.

Too many assumptions. You don't know if the viscosity ever dipped below 7.0.

can someone dumb it down for me - I'm guessing oxidation is normal occurrence. Or is this indicative of a trend? thanks - learning here...
It's very normal, expected to some extent. Your interval was 9,000 miles, and the low flashpoint was proof of a lot of fuel dilution, which makes more oxidation happen. Oxidation is what creates sludge & varnish inside the engine. It's well controlled usually, but can get out of hand with age and stress (fuel dilution and/or high heat). It makes viscosity go up a bit, which isn't always that bad, and can counter the fuel dilution's effect of lowering viscosity.

Example:
1. New 5w20 kv100 = 8.9

Too many assumptions. You don't know if the viscosity ever dipped below 7.0.

Indeed.

Last edited:
Folks:

Not sure if this is of any interest or no. I sent in a sample because of a gas smell I noticed from the dipstick, and to try and to track down a small coolant loss I cannot seem to locate.

Not seeing anything crazy here - but defer to the experts.

Running cheap gas?, or the likes of Top-Tier fuel - which I use.... mainly Shell or Mobil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back