2014 Accord oil use update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posted awhile back about 2014 Accord 4 cyl using more oil than I feel it should, which is about 1 quart in 1300 miles. I've tried, 0w-20, 5w-30 FS and HM 5W-20. End story is, no difference, same usage. Have put new PCV, run 87 octane.Car now has 52k miles purchased new.

As always, it could be any number of things AND it would be good to do proper troubleshooting to verify it's not something simple. Check the compression and leakdown, look carefully at the plugs, etc.

However my best guess is the low tension piston ring "demon" strikes again. Honda V6's are well known for this very issue, there was even a class action suit with over a million engines involved.

Some of the V6 models would actually show some oil on the spark plugs. Possibly leading to spark plug issues and a worsening of the problem.

In any case, your choices of oil are far too thin to significantly affect oil use due to ring seal issues. A synthetic and robust 5W-40 with a high HTHS might mitigate some oil use, or a HM 10W-30, while still providing thin enough viscosity for cold starts.

What's very interesting about both Honda and Toyota low tension ring seal issues is that the wear is very minimal. Often the cylinders are in excellent shape and the ring end gap is within specs. A re-ring with better rings can solve the issue. Blowby is often evident on the piston.

And of course, some engines have clogged oil ring drain holes due to poor oil choices and extended drain intervals.

I love beating a dead horse, but a quality synthetic, changed at the severe service interval solves that issue.

Last edited:
don't be afraid of 5-40 whats now in girlfriends oil drinking 13 malibu LS 2.5L DI, it cut consumption a lot

Originally Posted by luna
Posted awhile back about 2014 Accord 4 cyl using more oil than I feel it should, which is about 1 quart in 1300 miles. I've tried, 0w-20, 5w-30 FS and HM 5W-20. End story is, no difference, same usage. Have put new PCV, run 87 octane.Car now has 52k miles purchased new.

So what has your change interval been? Maybe more than one run with HM 5w-20 will slow it down. Fortunately my '13 Accord uses no oil.

Originally Posted by NormanBuntz
Originally Posted by luna

So what has your change interval been? Maybe more than one run with HM 5w-20 will slow it down. Fortunately my '13 Accord uses no oil.

Oil change interval has never been more than 6k miles

In 1980 I bought a Chevy pickup. 1 quart of oil every 1000 miles. Enough raising cane they rebuilt heads as well a fuel pump cause they thought fuel was getting in oil. Wouldn't touch it after that cause with miles I drove they considered it commercial abuse. 300k later 1 quart of oil in 1000 miles. Point is I have had many vehicles namely Chevrolet that used oil and just add a quart cause engine will outlast car. No oil is going to fix the oil usage. Yes it is ashame manufacturers considered this to be normal.

our CRV uses oil too if that helps, about 1qt every 5K then I change the oil

Originally Posted by addyguy
Stick a bottle of 'Restore' oil treatment in it, and see if it helps. Can't hurt.

I beg to differ!
When there is excessive blow by, Restore can plug catalytic converters.

I feel your pain. My 09 altima has used a quart every 1500 miles since new and Nissan did nothing about it because it wasn't using a quart every thousand. 110k later and it's still the same. Never a plugged converter or plug issues, just annoying. I recently tried 10-30 M1 hm and it made it worse for some reason? Next up is valvoline 0-40. The car runs and drives like a dream but the oil usage ticks me off to no end and always has. I had an 03 that were famous for pre cat failure and that car used no oil up until it was totaled at 176k.

Honda K24 engines have been known to consume some oil due to the rings. Mine burns about a quart every 1k, but mine has over 10 times more miles than yours. My friend has another 07 with the K24 and his burns about a quart every 3k or so, if I remember right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back