2019 Sonata Limited 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone. I just bought a 2019 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T. Just wanted some thoughts on what oil to use. The cap says 5W-30 and the manual says anything from 5W-30 to 20W-50 for my temp range and they recommend Shell Helix or Quakerstate. I live in Tampa Florida and my Hyundai dealer only uses Amalie oil since the Amalie oil factory is in Tampa and they get it cheap. Their standard oil is the Amalie syn-blend. Which I find good as they do not use any conventional oils. But I want to run a full Synthetic. They offer the Amalie full Synthetic for $49.99 for 5 quarts and also have the Amalie Imperial turbo formula which I know nothing about and it's a syn-blend. I want to use Quakerstate 5W-30 Full Synthetic as I can get it from Walmart for $19.97 for a 5 quart jug. I'll also need to get a single quart as my engine calls for 5.7 Quarts. I feel Quakerstate is a good oil for the price. The 3 to 4 bucks more for Penzzoil, Valvoline or any other oil I feel is not a good deal. Thanks in advance.

I'm sure the QS will do fine. Isn't that the Hyundai chosen brand?-- not that makes much difference.

Generally there's no such thing as conventional oil any more. Most 5w30 has plenty of Group III, no matter what they call it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by sm00thpapa
Hi everyone. I just bought a 2019 Hyundai Sonata Limited 2.0T. Just wanted some thoughts on what oil to use. The cap says 5W-30 and the manual says anything from 5W-30 to 20W-50 for my temp range and they recommend Shell Helix or Quakerstate. I live in Tampa Florida and my Hyundai dealer only uses Amalie oil since the Amalie oil factory is in Tampa and they get it cheap. Their standard oil is the Amalie syn-blend. Which I find good as they do not use any conventional oils. But I want to run a full Synthetic. They offer the Amalie full Synthetic for $49.99 for 5 quarts and also have the Amalie Imperial turbo formula which I know nothing about and it's a syn-blend. I want to use Quakerstate 5W-30 Full Synthetic as I can get it from Walmart for $19.97 for a 5 quart jug. I'll also need to get a single quart as my engine calls for 5.7 Quarts. I feel Quakerstate is a good oil for the price. The 3 to 4 bucks more for Penzzoil, Valvoline or any other oil I feel is not a good deal. Thanks in advance.

You spend big bucks for your ride and now you want to pinch pennies.
When I removed the Quaker State factory-fill and entered-in Castrol Edge, my engine became quieter. Yes I paid a few bucks more for it, versus reaching for Quaker State at Walmart.

Hyundai 2.0T........ remember to replace spark plugs every 40,000 with OEM Hyundai special NGK's You don't want to be porcelain grenadeing your turbo.

Hi OP and congratulations on a very nice ride. I have the same engine albeit with slightly higher output. I've used everything under the sun in this engine and now have over 170K miles of smooth operation. Not one issue to report as this has turned out to be the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned. The oils most used are:

Edge 5w40
VSP 5w30
M1 HM 10w30

Oil Filters most used:
Fram Ultra XG9688
OEM
M1-104

Pennzoil Platinum or Mobil 1 5W40 synthetic D1 Gen 2 for the 2.4 L Turbo ... I use 5W30 in my 2.4 L non - turbo . Regardless of your driving style, keep your oil change intervals under 5,000 miles (preferably 3,750 to 4,000 miles ) with the turbo as they thrash the oil pretty hard + it's a DI engine .

I would use the QSFS 5W-30 with out hesitation, and use the OEM Hyundai blue filter.
I would go severe service and change the oil at least every 5,000 miles, in Canada severe service is 4,000 miles.

QSUD 5W-30 is a solid choice (I'm running it in my Elantra currently), although I'd run most major brands in 5W-30. The only thing I'd be picky about is using an OEM filter. I really like the Fram Ultra, but there's no reason to not run the OEM filter as they can be bought cheap online, are of good construction, and you won't have any warranty headaches should something go wrong. Not that they won't honor your warranty if you run another filter, but according to the experiences of others, they won't fix anything until they install an OEM filter and send you on your way to see if that solves the issue.

This.

Smart Box.jpg

Originally Posted by yowps3
Should be easy.
5W30 meeting the latest ACEA A5 spec

I think this is a good recommendation, but A5/B5 can limit the selection for 5W30s at WalMart in the US...for example, QSUD and Supertech synth don't have it.
I think the M1 and PP 5W30s both do.

My take is to use a dexos1 Gen2 or SN+ oil in any Direction Injection Turbo (DIT) engine, but wemay hasn't had any issues with his Santa Fe turbo using a wide variety of oils...it may be that this engine design is not very susceptible to LSPI.
I am a "play it safe" kind of guy and look for the oils with the LSPI testing (d1G2, SN+, and now the Ford -B1 specs). SN+ has extended that type of testing to grades that d1G2 didn't cover (like the 10W30 I am running now).
SN+ is very common and d1G2 is also pretty easy to find unless you really want to run an XW40....

[/quote]
When I removed the Quaker State factory-fill and entered-in Castrol Edge, my engine became quieter. Yes I paid a few bucks more for it, versus reaching for Quaker State at Walmart.[/quote]

I'm confused by this.

Are you commenting on the fact that OP was being financially conscious by choosing QS or that QS is an inferior oil and not worth using in his vehicle? Or, is this just a biased opinion being interjected without real merit?

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

When I removed the Quaker State factory-fill and entered-in Castrol Edge, my engine became quieter. Yes I paid a few bucks more for it, versus reaching for Quaker State at Walmart.

Just how many DB's quieter? Where did you get your DB meter by the way I'm looking for a good one.

Running my first change of synthetic for 6000 miles trying to get the odometer around to divisible by 5K. Since I can't change my own I'll probably revert to VWB ($10+ coupons) or the twenty buck QS change at Wally World.

Car seems to run a bit better with ST synthetic than the VWB, but my thought is that the weather is warmer, the gas in summer gas, or getting deafer.

The idea that you can butt dyno one brand of oil for another or that Castrol is naturally better than QS is beyond me. If I could change my own I'd get the cheapest Group III I could wrangle. SN+ of course.

I've had turbos and I've had DI. Not both in the same car. Probably wouldn't be running VWB if I had a turbo in this thing. I think that the basic HyunKia engine is fairly bullet proof. If they self destruct they do it spectacularly, especially those 2.4 American engines with the crap left in them. Or fires from not replacing the fuel pump kits on the recall. If you don't get one of those, I think the engine's not that fussy, and more reliable than the trial attorneys will tell you.

Last edited:
Just because a semi syn will do the job doesn't mean running a decent off the shelf synthetic like Valvoline Modern Engine or Mobil1 EP or QS's or Pennzoil PP or UP or ect wouldn't protect against deposits and wear better especially if driving hard with a DI turbo. Also the dealer would likely get in trouble with Corporate for only offering Aimilie products if they will not then allow you to supply your own OEM oil or one from the Hyuandi/KIA preferred Manufacturer list then I'd decline to have it serviced and inform them you are going to send a politely but strongly worded letter documenting everything to a regional service rep and escalate it along with finding a new dealership for service. Then do so, shady dealers need to be put in check.

Originally Posted by StevieC
I'd use a fully synthetic oil instead of a blend any time a Turbo is involved.

[Linked Image]
400 degrees F, deposits might form in there, just sayin' ....

It's not here, not on da Walmart shelves YET, but its coming in the next few months:
[Linked Image]

--- which did well in the dexos1 GM turbo coking test

Until that oil comes out, pick Mobil1 Extended Performance or Annual Protection at wally world.

And, Fram Ultra oil filter does best on the 4548-12 filtering performance test, and is wire-backed, etc..... another walmart shelf item too, ez to find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back