Android vs. iOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Samsung Android phone and an iPhone 7 (for work). I like the freedom that the Android phone provides over the iPhone.

The iPhone is a lot more restricted and forces you to use iTunes for a lot of things. I run security software on my Android to keep it secure and my iPhone runs security software that our I.T. department deems necessary so the Apple product isn't perfect.

A lot of security issues originate with the user so it doesn't really matter which you choose to go with if you are the cause accidentally or intentionally.

Last edited:
If you are a Mac person, it seems a no brainer to go for iphone.
There is familiarity in the apps and terminology and usabiility, as well as some neat integrations.

Originally Posted by alarmguy
Battery life is determined by the manufacturer of the phone, not the operating system.
Havent owned an Android phone with less then 2 day battery life in years now and one just needs to choose a phone with a large battery if that is your wish.

As far as privacy only a small percentage of people actually go into Androids settings to remove permissions for the Apps. Im one who does but most have no clue, the options are there though and SIMPLE to do, out of the box I think Apple is a little better then this, letting you know when your being tracked ect. (less hoops to jump through)

Another big battery savings and some added privacy is to simply turn on your "Data" saver on your Android device, it will pretty much shut down apps until you open them, instead of allowing them to constantly run in the background. You also have endless options for some apps you may want to keep running. Again, the manufacturers know 80% or more people will never bother to learn and do even though they make it simple.

Android 9.0 Pie OS is supposed to help with battery life, with the Adaptive Battery software.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Originally Posted by alarmguy
Battery life is determined by the manufacturer of the phone, not the operating system.
Havent owned an Android phone with less then 2 day battery life in years now and one just needs to choose a phone with a large battery if that is your wish.

As far as privacy only a small percentage of people actually go into Androids settings to remove permissions for the Apps. Im one who does but most have no clue, the options are there though and SIMPLE to do, out of the box I think Apple is a little better then this, letting you know when your being tracked ect. (less hoops to jump through)

Another big battery savings and some added privacy is to simply turn on your "Data" saver on your Android device, it will pretty much shut down apps until you open them, instead of allowing them to constantly run in the background. You also have endless options for some apps you may want to keep running. Again, the manufacturers know 80% or more people will never bother to learn and do even though they make it simple.

Android 9.0 Pie OS is supposed to help with battery life, with the Adaptive Battery software.

I just received my used original pixel XL a few days ago and this is the battery level at 5:45pm after a work day or use. It has pie. I didn't use it with anything but pie. The battery health tests at 96% and I think the phone sat since 2017 because it was on a 2017 security patch level. I've gotten security updates every day since I got it.

I've heard complaints about battery life on pie but it seems good on my pixel so far and was good on my OnePlus 5 before I jumped in the ocean with it in my pocket and destroyed it. I got a Galaxy s8 to replace that because of the water resistance but couldn't deal with the Samsung software and inferior battery life (also on pie). I sold it and got the pixel because it's like a OnePlus phone with a better camera.

Screenshot_20190515-174323.png

Originally Posted by das_peikko
Which one is more virus resistant? Is Android like Windows that gets viruses all the time?

I'm a Mac person and I'm leery of getting an Android phone; although they are cheaper.

My first reply was just after looking at page 3. I don't think anyone can argue that apple isn't the more security minded manufacturer but I don't think they will ever get a penny of my money for various reasons.

I've been using Android phones since 2011 and never gotten a virus ever. I have used them to download free music and free movies etc from questionable sources at times in the past. There are often security holes found that get patched. If you stick with certain brands (like Google or OnePlus) you will get regular security updates. I personally never worry about viruses. I've gotten viruses on my PC's over the years. Never on Android. I've also never heard of anyone getting one on Android either.

Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I'm the only one in the house with an Android. Enjoy playing with it. Enjoy the freedom to decide whats on it.. Never had a virus. But IMO you should stay apple. The sound is superior. And that battery life.. Its way better than an android. Maybe 3X as long.

My girlfriend has an iPhone 6s that got a new battery right before their cheap $30 battery replacement they offered because of getting caught slowing the processors down...her battery is always going dead. It's a one day battery at best and she forgets to plug it in. My original pixel has a 2 day battery as did my OnePlus 5 before I drowned it.

Not sure which iPhone vs which Android you're comparing for battery life but it's not a typical one that's for sure.

Originally Posted by caprice_2nv
Originally Posted by LeakySeals
I'm the only one in the house with an Android. Enjoy playing with it. Enjoy the freedom to decide whats on it.. Never had a virus. But IMO you should stay apple. The sound is superior. And that battery life.. Its way better than an android. Maybe 3X as long.

My girlfriend has an iPhone 6s that got a new battery right before their cheap $30 battery replacement they offered because of getting caught slowing the processors down...her battery is always going dead. It's a one day battery at best and she forgets to plug it in. My original pixel has a 2 day battery as did my OnePlus 5 before I drowned it.

Not sure which iPhone vs which Android you're comparing for battery life but it's not a typical one that's for sure.

Comparing the iPhone XR to a Galaxy s10e, the iPhone manages to last almost 2 hours longer with a smaller battery, larger screen, and faster performance. I've never had an issue with battery life except when I fall asleep listening to music/watching YouTube

Last edited:
The xr maybe has a big battery life advantage because it's a large phone with a largish battery size but the screen resolution is something out of 2012 despite the still high price. I would rather buy a OnePlus phone for a similar price with a better battery life and overall better phone for the price imo.

Just having fun here, but I dont need longer battery life and I dont need more then two days without charging, as it is, I charge it every night anyway, but if I ever forget I can go through the second day without running out.

All this on a awesome $200 Huawei Mate SE, my wife and daughter get even longer battery life on their Huawei Elate and those only cost $75, again, awesome phones.
Cant be beat, no way. :eek:)

Last edited:
As a Mac user, you will likely appreciate how well an iPhone integrates into the Apple/iCloud ecosystem.

I forget about stuff like how messaging from the computer, or having photos pop up in Photos on the computer a few minutes after I take them, until I don't have them. Once you get use to it, it's hard not to have it.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial
As a Mac user, you will likely appreciate how well an iPhone integrates into the Apple/iCloud ecosystem.

I forget about stuff like how messaging from the computer, or having photos pop up in Photos on the computer a few minutes after I take them, until I don't have them. Once you get use to it, it's hard not to have it.

I'll admit that having my first Android device it royally blows. Battery life is horrible. Definitely going back to the IPhone since I get a nice discount thru Verizon prepaid which costs me $40~ month
wink.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Originally Posted by bunnspecial

I'll admit that having my first Android device it royally blows. Battery life is horrible. Definitely going back to the IPhone since I get a nice discount thru Verizon prepaid which costs me $40~ month
wink.gif

What Android device? There are lots of Android phones with better battery life than iPhones. That's not an iPhone high point unless you get the bigger iPhone (even more overpriced than the regular one) or the iPhone xr which has a bigger battery and a low resolution screen which imo isn't really good value unless it meets the specific criteria that you are looking for.

I had a OnePlus 5 for almost 2 years. The battery life and charge speed was the best I've had yet. I drowned it in the ocean accidentally on vacation, replaced it with a Galaxy s8. I ended up selling it to replace it with an original pixel XL for a couple reasons. Mainly software, secondly battery life. Standby drain is a big problem on Samsung devices still apparently. It's a Samsung problem more than an Android problem. My pixel is as good as my OnePlus was.

I have an iPhone Xs-max.

While I like it, I am not convinced it's as good as it should be.

Retrieving mail is difficult, as the "push" option has been removed. Furthermore, it absolutely will not display attachments from an older chain of emails.

From a business point of view, that's useless!

If you could take the best thing about every phone you could probably make the ultimate phone. Of course, everyone's "ultimate phone" would be slightly different.

Originally Posted by Cujet
I have an iPhone Xs-max.

Retrieving mail is difficult, as the "push" option has been removed. Furthermore, it absolutely will not display attachments from an older chain of emails.

Push is a function of the mail server, not the phone. If you are connected to Exchange or GMail, push works just fine. Push has never worked for IMAP or POP3. While there are extensions that allow IMAP to provide some push-esque behaviour, I doubt they are supported by the Apple mail app.

I think your confusion might stem from the availability of the global "push" slider that used to be present under Mail. It had absolutely zero effect on the above account types, which is why there was still the standalone fetch schedule provided, which is what was used for POP3/IMAP.

I have an iPhone Xs-max.

I think Apple's mail so is garbage, so I use my respective email providers apps. Though I have them set to only check when I tell it too.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Push is a function of the mail server, not the phone. If you are connected to Exchange or GMail, push works just fine. Push has never worked for IMAP or POP3. While there are extensions that allow IMAP to provide some push-esque behaviour, I doubt they are supported by the Apple mail app.

I think your confusion might stem from the availability of the global "push" slider that used to be present under Mail. It had absolutely zero effect on the above account types, which is why there was still the standalone fetch schedule provided, which is what was used for POP3/IMAP.

Well, if the old "slider" was useless, why did my older iPhones constantly alert me with new mail. I'm not at all sure I buy any of that.

To retrieve my mail, I must pull down 3, 4, 5, or even 8 times before it gives me a "checking for mail" or "connecting" indication. And before someone tells me that doing it just once is sufficient, it's not!!!! It will go days without retrieving mail when a checking for mail is not displayed. This is why I'm convinced it's the iOS or the phone. If I don't get an indication it's checking for mail, it won't check for mail. What a surprise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by OVERKILL

Well, if the old "slider" was useless, why did my older iPhones constantly alert me with new mail. I'm not at all sure I buy any of that.

To retrieve my mail, I must pull down 3, 4, 5, or even 8 times before it gives me a "checking for mail" or "connecting" indication. And before someone tells me that doing it just once is sufficient, it's not!!!! It will go days without retrieving mail when a checking for mail is not displayed. This is why I'm convinced it's the iOS or the phone. If I don't get an indication it's checking for mail, it won't check for mail. What a surprise.

Your "fetch" schedule was what was pulling down the mail before if your account isn't Exchange or GMail. You likely don't have a polling interval scheduled presently for fetch, which is why you are having to manually refresh your inbox in the app.

Again, the slider only enabled/enables push for mail-types that supported it. This function is enabled by default on all account types that support it, the most common being Exchange and GMail. It never worked for IMAP or POP3, they used the fetch schedule, so the presence of that slider was/is more confusing than anything, since its function didn't/doesn't work for those account types. You still have the option of turning on/off push for those accounts, the location of that setting has simply changed.

Let's make this simple and break it into two steps:

1. Determine the account type of the account you are concerned about:
On your iPhone go to Settings -> Passwords & Accounts -> The account in question -> What does it say on the very top row in the grey text as the account type?

2. Determine what your fetch schedule is:
On your iPhone go to Settings -> Passwords & Accounts -> Bottom line "Fetch New Data" (mine shows push because I use Exchange)
Here you will find the global "push" slider at the top as well as the two or three (depending on account type) settings for how mail is retrieved per account

- For an account that supports "push", when you click on it, you will see the option of Push, Fetch or Manual.
- For an account that does NOT support "push", when you click on it, you will see the option of Fetch or Manual. This needs to be set to Fetch.

At the previous "Fetch New Data" screen, located below the accounts, you'll see the "Fetch" options:
- Automatically (should refresh every time you open the app)
- Manually (requires a manual pull-down like you are doing)
- Hourly (checks every 60 minutes)
- Every 30 Minutes
- Every 15 Minutes

Every 15 minutes is probably a good choice here. Now of course there's also the possibility that it is an account type that DOES support Push and Push is simply turned-off, but if that's the case, the above process will make that readily apparent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back