lowest road noise tire on the market

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Falken Sincera SN250 A/S on my VW are the quietest I've had on a car in quite a while.
The grip is good but the steering response is sort of old school radial from the late 70's

Great for mild touring and highway but not for aggressive corner carving.

May be better choices for 100 bucks a shoe though

Dont come in your size, Im sorry.

Originally Posted by Nick1994
I don't think anything will make an 01' Cavalier quiet.

That was my thinking too.

Well maybe pulling up the carpet and door panels and putting down some sound deadner would work, as could ear plugs.

Maybe play with tire pressure? I recently came across a review of my RT43's that said they could be loud on some surfaces. It's funny--I'm on my third set on the same car, and this third set is louder than the others. The difference? this set is a good 5psi higher than I usually run. one of these days I might air down a bit and see if it changes the noise--I wouldn't think so, but maybe there's something there.

Originally Posted by joegreen
I have Cooper cs5 ultra tires and they are pretty quiet to me. Put maybe 40k on them and they haven't gotten louder

How is the tire. Wearing ?

I haven't been to tire rack in a while but didn't they use to have a noise level rating for each tire in the tire ratings charts?

Just because the OP's car is not new and probably not insulated very good doesn't mean he is foolish for looking for a quiet tire, in fact it's probably more important than a well insulated car that would hide a noisier tire.

Thank you all for the advice so far. Several of the tires mentioned like Assurance Weatherready and Cooper CS5 do not come in the 195/70-14 size tire. Bridgestone and Continental do not make this size tire either. I did read up on directional, symmetrical, asymmetrical and directional/asymmetrical tread patterns and I reviewed the information from the source SubLGT kindly posted. Other than having a tire with small tread blocks, not much else seems to sway choosing one tread pattern over the other, especially when tread compound, rigidity, belt structure, etc are included in each tires makeup. Here is a list of what I have found locally available without going with $30.00 dollar per tire cheap no name tires. Anyone have any experience with any of these? I can get any one of them at a decent price. I'm an easy driver so hard cornering / ultra grip performance is not so important. I do drive the car year round so some grip in snow is needed.

Yokohama Avid Touring S
Kumho Solus TA 11
Cooper Evolution Touring
Toyo Extenza A/S
Firestone All Season
Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP3
BF Goodrich Advantage Touring T/A

I agree with Duffyjr, quiet tire choice is more important on a small cheap car, not less. Small cars have smaller more affordable tires, so nice tires are cheaper, and is your comfort and safety any less important?

Sorry xtell, I don't have experience with any of your short list, but it's good of you to narrow down the discussion to what's available.

Originally Posted by xtell
Thank you all for the advice so far. Several of the tires mentioned like Assurance Weatherready and Cooper CS5 do not come in the 195/70-14 size tire. Bridgestone and Continental do not make this size tire either. I did read up on directional, symmetrical, asymmetrical and directional/asymmetrical tread patterns and I reviewed the information from the source SubLGT kindly posted. Other than having a tire with small tread blocks, not much else seems to sway choosing one tread pattern over the other, especially when tread compound, rigidity, belt structure, etc are included in each tires makeup. Here is a list of what I have found locally available without going with $30.00 dollar per tire cheap no name tires. Anyone have any experience with any of these? I can get any one of them at a decent price. I'm an easy driver so hard cornering / ultra grip performance is not so important. I do drive the car year round so some grip in snow is needed.

Yokohama Avid Touring S
Kumho Solus TA 11
Cooper Evolution Touring
Toyo Extenza A/S
Firestone All Season
Uniroyal Tiger Paw AWP3
BF Goodrich Advantage Touring T/A

I had the now discontinued Cooper CS4 on the '04 Hyundai Elantra base (small to medium car size), replaced by CS3 which is now Cooper Evolution Touring.
At 500 miles old, in brand new snow, I was unstoppable. Snow 2" - to car's belly + ruts: all not a problem.
Ice...., forget it. It won't bite.
I would say at year 2+ your snow performance would drop because of block/sip size. Also depends on the snow type.
Rain and dry, very good performance.

Thank you all for your replies. I guess I'll just roll the dice and pick a set of tires from the list I posted. Hopefully I'll get lucky and get some quiet ones.

This is the Goodyear Assurance Ultra Tour we have on the Cruze … quiet and has been great in our endless rainy season
Think DT shows a rebate right now

957F3E2F-5F98-41BE-9DAF-2DDE25963771.jpeg

I've had two sets of coopers which were pretty quiet. The rubber compound seemed more pliable (softer?) which may have been part of it.

We've also had two sets of Bridgestone Serenity tires which were very quiet

And a set of Goodyear Assurance tires which were the best set of GYs I've known, but that particular tread pattern is no longer sold. It was a few years back.

pandus13

Thank you for the review on the Cooper Evolution Touring. Did you hear any road noise from the tires? Were they pretty quiet on the highway over asphalt and concrete? If they were quite they might be a good tire for my car.

4WD

I checked out the tire you have on your Cruze and it is very highly rated as exhibiting very low road noise. The only GY tire in the size I need is Assurance All Season, which sports a different tread pattern, I just wish one of the tire manufacturers would make a "higher end" tire for the sub-compact tire size 195/70-14. My car is a base / economy model and it seems like tire manufacturers figure anyone who owns one of these cars does not want to spend a lot of money on tires or doesn't care about their handling characteristics. It's surprising how many different tires are out there in the 25-35 dollar range, per tire.

I'm just looking for a good all season or touring type of tire that is "really quiet" for this small, light weight vehicle.
Lots of discussion about the quietest tire is on the internet. However, technological advances over the last 10 years in road surface construction, is the best way to lower sound levels inside road vehicles. The Puget Sound area is now laying "quiet" pavement which truly brings "big car" quietness(& lower?) to small cars. Yes, it will take many years before all roads have the luxury of "quiet" pavement, But, already large chucks of our pavements are quiet. One beautifully smooth 25 mile section was laid 2 to 3 years ago & its quietness continues to be a pleasure to my ears. I have used Goodyear Eagle GTs on the front of my Hyundai Elantra. On badly textured pavement, the Eagle GT has a deep rumble, which is one reason it is no longer made. However, when on "quiet" pavement, the Eagle GT is exceedingly quiet. The reason "quiet" pavement isn't making a great uproar to the public is because small, cheaper cars benefit the most. Yeah, who cares if poor people gain a benefit that rich people don't need.

..... I just wish one of the tire manufacturers would make a "higher end" tire for the sub-compact tire size 195/70-14. My car is a base / economy model and it seems like tire manufacturers figure anyone who owns one of these cars does not want to spend a lot of money on tires or doesn't care about their handling characteristics.
I have a small 2008 Hyundai Accent that came standard with 175x65x14 inch tires/wheels. I switched to used tires/wheels of as large as 205x65x15 inches. Don't think the used tires are "better" than the standard, but I love the handling, smoothness & practicality of the "large" tires/wheels on my small car.

The Cavalier is very quiet...... when it's at the mechanic's for repairs.
lol.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by litesong
The Cavalier is very quiet...... when it's at the mechanic's for repairs.
lol.gif

I've had pretty good luck with the mechanical's on the Cavalier I currently have. I run bypass filtration on the engine oil, and auxiliary cooling and remote filtering on the automatic transmission and power steering. The main problem with the Cavalier and other J-Body platforms is that they were designed with a lot of hiding spaces for water to get at which causes massive body rot. I've been pretty successful combating the rust with ample applications of Fluid Film, grease and oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back