TOYOTA 90915-10003 factory filter CUT OPEN

Good Evening again
wink.gif

Friend that bought his 2019 Toyota Camry base model brought it over bit ago for first oil change
wink.gif

5,500 miles on oil and factory filter you see. 90% highway driving and very little stop and go driving. Put some MOBIL 1 0w20 EP and another of these filters in on since I nabbed 12 at my "work account" price of under $4
wink.gif

Enjoy the pictures
smile.gif

20190514_184439.jpg

20190514_184540.jpg

20190514_184628.jpg

20190514_184636.jpg

20190514_184642.jpg

20190514_184654.jpg

20190514_184646.jpg

20190514_184731.jpg

The good thing about the OEM toyota filters is that you can always get them at Walmart for cheap.

Also, Toyotas are good. My brother's 07 Corolla has 230,000 miles and burns no oil, no check engine light.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Serious question, are the end folds sealed? I see glue in the center 1/3, but the outer part looks unsealed?

They are from the Toyota Densos I've checked out.

Originally Posted by blupupher
How dare they not put endcaps on their filters! ...
We never see media pleats torn away from non-existent end caps, do we? There are reasons they make them that way.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Someone got a brain and dumped the cartridge filter? Will wonders never end someone listened to the customer!

It looks like they put the standard cartridge filter in a can to me.
You can "dump" your cartridge filter also if you choose....
Spin on adapter

Looks like a typical Thai made Denso. So have they moved all manufacturing of Denso OF to China now? Personally have no issue with the no endcap design. However, I see no mention of the of their efficiency with the ISO data point for them. Also have no issue with efficiency and others personal preference for oem. Just find it ironic reading comments praising thier construction here, while reading same source comments critical of other brand's efficiency in smaller filters which is at least equivalent, likely better than topic.

Is that a silicone adbv, or lighting making black look orange?

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Looks like a typical Thai made Denso. So have they moved all manufacturing of Denso OF to China now? Personally have no issue with the no endcap design. However, I see no mention of the of their efficiency with the ISO data point for them. Also have no issue with efficiency and others personal preference for oem. Just find it ironic reading comments praising thier construction here, while reading same source comments critical of other brand's efficiency in smaller filters which is at least equivalent, likely better than topic.

Is that a silicone adbv, or lighting making black look orange?

Thanks for c&p.

A China manufacture and new higher tariffs , we get higher prices. Great !

Looks the same as they did 15 years ago when i cut open a Thai Denso with the exception that the Bypass spring is different. The Thai and Japon Denso had a flat "daisy leaf" spring.

But - The Media looks like recycled cardboard and horsehair.

I hope they have thorough and rigorous incoming material inspection on the for the filter media properties, esp if it china sourced.

I still don't know why these didnt work on my '06 Yaris. IIRC Suzuki had a TSB on defective Denso or (??) filter for my Aerio SX a decade prior.

I gotta look up that manufacturer before i cast more aspersions on Denso - they were O.E. Siamese or Singapore IIRC.

Last edited:

"I gotta look up that manufacturer before i cast more aspersions on Denso - they were O.E. Siamese or Singapore IIRC."

They haven't called Thailand Siam in decades.

Denso is a Japanese based company with factories worldwide. If the tariffs go through then I suspect production in Mexico will ramp up if it hasn't already.

Originally Posted by Patrick0525

A China manufacture and new higher tariffs , we get higher prices. Great !

No, you just buy something sourced from a different region O.E.

Originally Posted by PimTac

"I gotta look up that manufacturer before i cast more aspersions on Denso - they were O.E. Siamese or Singapore IIRC."

Denso is a Japanese based company with factories worldwide. If the tariffs go through then I suspect production in Mexico will ramp up if it hasn't already.

I like Siamese cats.
smile.gif
I don't hear anybody stateside calling then Thai Cats.
I bought some Ceylon tea a couple month ago. That is Sri Lanka Tea I suppose.

I just threw that in to see if anyone is really awake.
No disrespect intended. I'm not that guy.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted by PimTac

I like Siamese cats.
smile.gif
I don't hear anybody stateside calling then Thai Cats.
I bought some Ceylon tea a couple month ago. That is Sri Lanka Tea I suppose.

I just threw that in to see if anyone is really awake.
No disrespect intended. I'm not that guy.

All good. Just some early morning joshing.

This reminded me of the geography classes in grade school where we got a blank world map and had to write in all the country names. Many of those countries don't exist anymore. Tanganikya was hard to write in that small space. Persia, Siam, Formosa, Ceylon and a bunch more.

Nowadays, kids don't even know where North Dakota is.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Wait, they started using spin ons on the Camry again?

Yup
smile.gif

Even my 10 year old Camry with 2AZ FE has a spin on sir
wink.gif

Good to know! I was starting to think Toyota was going cartridge everything for awhile. Haven't worked in an oil change shop since 2017 so this must be something fairly recent that I've missed out on. Glad they're bringing spin ons back like it should be! Toyota cartridges are some of the least pleasant filters to change.

Back