Windows 10 Tweaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better idea: Leave it alone.

None of this stuff will be remotely noticeable in general use. He's only managed to make it less usable and less secure.

The Windows 95 days are long gone. People need to get over it.

Originally Posted by Bottom_Feeder
Better idea: Leave it alone.

None of this stuff will be remotely noticeable in general use. He's only managed to make it less usable and less secure.

The Windows 95 days are long gone. People need to get over it.

Agreed. The title relates to making Windows fast, but the only substantial real-world performance advice I saw there was about the indexing service. I have certainly had my share of frustration with various OS's indexing services doing their thing, especially on new installs right after importing several GB of backed-up data; but am equally grateful for that service when I need to find a file - or more urgently, data *within a file* - immediately. :^)

Originally Posted by StevieC
I liked the removal of all the bloatware. I wouldn't be disabling the firewall.

I don't have to fiddle with Windows machines much these days - Do new consumer machines still come loaded with trials and other bloat? There are not too many services that I'd disable in a stock Win10 install; but I remember in OS's some years ago there was a TONNE of garbage that needed to be removed from 3rd parties.

Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

I don't have to fiddle with Windows machines much these days - Do new consumer machines still come loaded with trials and other bloat? There are not too many services that I'd disable in a stock Win10 install; but I remember in OS's some years ago there was a TONNE of garbage that needed to be removed from 3rd parties.

Windows 10 comes with Spotify, a pile of games (Bubble Witch Saga, Bejewelled...etc), and some other "extras", but it isn't horrible. Most of the OEM's then put on their own suite of garbage. HP is brutal for all kinds of extras, and many will include like a 30 day trial or Norton or McAfee.

removes over 2gb of stuff:

https://www.howtogeek.com/224798/ho...built-in-apps-and-how-to-reinstall-them/

If you decide you want the preinstalled apps back, you can reinstall them with a single line of PowerShell code. Again, open a PowerShell window as Administrator. Copy and paste the following line at the PowerShell prompt, and then press Enter:

Get-AppxPackage -AllUsers| Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
This command tells Windows to install those default apps again. Give it some time and allow it to finish, even if nothing appears to happen at first. Even if you see an error message, restart your PC, and then examine your Start menu—you may just have all those default apps back again, anyway.

Again, the only real advantage to doing this is some mild decluttering of your Start menu. It's also likely that future updates (especially major updates) could reinstall those apps.
---------------------------------------------------------

Uninstall Alarms and Clock:

Get-AppxPackage *windowsalarms* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Calculator:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscalculator* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Calendar and Mail:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscommunicationsapps* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Camera:

Get-AppxPackage *windowscamera* | Remove-AppxPackage

Uninstall Contact Support:

This app can't be removed.

Uninstall Cortana:

This app can't be removed.

Uninstall Get Office:

Get-AppxPackage *officehub* | Remove-AppxPackage

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by uc50ic4more

Windows 10 comes with Spotify, a pile of games (Bubble Witch Saga, Bejewelled...etc), and some other "extras", but it isn't horrible. Most of the OEM's then put on their own suite of garbage. HP is brutal for all kinds of extras, and many will include like a 30 day trial or Norton or McAfee.

Acer is just as bad. My Acer Nitro laptop had a pile of garbage installed. It was so bad I ended up just blowing away Windows and reinstalling the O/S and drivers only. I also did it because I wanted Pro version of Windows 10 for Bitlocker and some other features.

Originally Posted by digger327
Tweakhound website has a excellent Windows 10 tweaking guide

Thanks, I'll check that out... Didn't know about that one.

Thanks for tips.

I have to strip down windows 10 to run a particular application on a mac 2017 with only 8gb RAM host used for work. It's pretty slow with only 3gb allocated to VItrualBox which makes my Mac and Win10 VM crawl.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by madRiver
Thanks for tips.

I have to strip down windows 10 to run a particular application on a mac 2017 with only 8gb RAM host used for work. It's pretty slow with only 3gb allocated to VItrualBox which makes my Mac and Win10 VM crawl.

Why not run boot camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back