2000 Saturn Wagon, 108k miles, Price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking more for what's a reasonable price, not necessarily to sell it here although anyone can take a look if interested.

Backstory - friends from work bought it new, had it as a daily driver for many years, kids drove it in high school, but have left the house and the friends have newer vehicles.

It was driven about once a month until last summer when the brakes went out. I picked up the car and have replaced the brake lines, flexible brake hoses, one caliper, and the front pads and rotors. Other work includes air filter, oil change, cabin filter and 2 new tires, about $500 worth of parts.

Other details:

Non-smoker
3.0L V6
Leather interior
AC doesn't work
All receipts of past work done
No check engine light
There is a small leak sometimes in the back corner that ends up draining into the well for the spare tire
Some paint scrapes from I think the kids hitting something

Let me know what you think.

IMG_20190514_181007486.jpg

IMG_20190514_181026110.jpg

IMG_20190514_181125782_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190514_181148528_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190514_181209119_HDR.jpg

IMG_20190514_191227632.jpg

Last edited:
I wouldn't have spent the $500 to fix it. If someone offers you $1500, take it.

Originally Posted by khittner
A 20yr-old obsolete GM with no A/C and bodywork that can't keep the weather out? div>

Its half Saab as well... But it looks pretty nice, and lots of people only care about that. Maybe try $2k and see who shows up?

I'd ask $2k, quickly take an offer at $1800 but be ready to sell it for $1500.

Originally Posted by IndyIan
Originally Posted by khittner
A 20yr-old obsolete GM with no A/C and bodywork that can't keep the weather out? div>

Its half Saab as well... But it looks pretty nice, and lots of people only care about that. Maybe try $2k and see who shows up?

I would get an auto store WMart recharge kit for the A/C system. If the belt is still turning you may get lucky for a few bills.
Those systems do a slow-leak over time. No reload, no A/C.
As far as value, if the tires & brakes are over 60%, well, someone will pay 2k. Somewhere.

Last edited:
I still see those around here....they make great beaters and haulers.

I would agree with most 1500-2000 tops.

Though I do like the color...

Do you know why the AC is not working? Do you know how to "fix" the AC? That's likely the make or break of this car.

Add a can of dye and see where's the leak, replace the bad parts yourself (plus dryer), then go on craigslist and find a mobile AC guy to come and vacuum / charge it up.

You may break even or lose some money, but it will sell probably for $1200, without working AC probably $800.

V6 beater is very hard to sell, I learn it the hard way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies - I had figured the same amount, ask $2000 but accept $1500. I'd at least attempt to fix the AC but I'm not paying the bills and the owners don't want to put more money in it than what it costs to make it safe.

If I can't get at least 1250 I will just keep it myself.

Originally Posted by Leo99
I wouldn't have spent the $500 to fix it. If someone offers you $1500, take it.

The brakes didn't work because of rusted out brake lines and one tire had wire showing and it had a dead battery. In my opinion if I sold it as a non running car with no brakes and one bad tire might as well haul it to the scrap yard, but with the $500 I've got a good running car with 108k miles.

I might not recoup that 500 but I feel good about someone else getting an inexpensive car that really needs it.

Interior looks pretty nice... probably good, reliable transportation for somebody. How much of the body is plastic on these -- is it actually a rust-free car or is it all rusty underneath?

A/C is the deal-killer for me - maybe it's not as big of a deal in Michigan? I used to be afraid of A/C work, but I have found it's really not too bad - you can get a lot of the specialty tools as loan-a-tools from Autozone.

A lot of the body panels are plastic like the side doors, but the hood, roof, back door, and fenders are steel. It's not rust free but isn't full of rust either. Where the brake line broke was up in the body behind some suspension components, no way to easily clean.

For me the AC isn't a big deal, especially for a sub $2000 car. Winter seems to have lasted almost 8 months here, I'm from South Texas and have driven many a mile with no AC in 90 degree plus heat with matching humidity.

I'd keep the car for myself if needed but I already have two trucks I maintain and would much prefer to run the wheels off of those and consolidate into one truck and a fun car/truck. That will be years down the road and this car will be an antique by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back