The Civic @ 196,500 - What does your engine look like on Mobil Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by JC1
Looks good. Thanks for posting.

You're welcome of course.

Originally Posted by LeoStrop
Good job!

One question: what type of gas dou you normally use?

Kroger, BJ's or Texaco/Chevron typically.

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
Local dealership has coupon for free timing belt. The part is free, when you pay for everything else.

Timing belts are cheap, it is everything else that cost. Tensioner, WP, 2 other belts, spark plugs... I am guessing that a dealer labor bill for what I'm doing would be a grand and I doubt they would clean all the bolts and brackets up like I do.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Looks great but there is a light varnish you won't make it to 1000000 miles with it.

Theres very little varnish, most of what you see is dirty oil and wipes right off.

Nice
thumbsup2.gif

Not many below-freezing starts a year I bet.
Bring her up North; Just that and a short trips to work would make a different picture.
Yep, Our gasoline and weather up here will have that engine dead in 130K miles from new.

I guess I am longing to move to Tornado alley for a comfortable retirement
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Bring her up North; Just that and a short trips to work would make a different picture.
Yep, Our gasoline and weather up here will have that engine dead in 130K miles from new.

So how do you explain my Civic's engine still plugging away nicely at over 150k now? It's always parked outside so it's seen a ton of below freezing starts (including quite a few under 0F too)

130,000 miles?!? You've got to be kidding. I've posted pictures from many of my vehicles at very high miles after many, many below-freezing starts here in Wisconsin. Should I expect imminent failure on everything since I'm over 400,000 miles on one of them? I've used Mobil 1 products for most of their lives. And what's wrong with our gasoline?

Some of the stuff you make up is just silly, to put it mildly.

If you don't mind DuckRyder, I can contribute to the "What does your engine look like on Mobil Oil" theme.

Engine is a 2.2 four-pot Z22SE, european iteration of the GM L61 ECOTEC, 246K km (153K miles) on the odo and still pulling strong. Mobil 1 5W50, 10K km (6K miles) OCIs:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For a comparison, here are pics of a "slightly neglected" L61 found around the web:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Thanks for posting. Not the first time I see a sparkling engine that used M1. That is great to see!

smile.gif

It gets cold here in Illinois also( and very hot in the summer) and I have put several hundred thousand miles on engines(91 Ranger with 354K and my present 2007 Fusion with 241K and others) and have not experienced any of the issues you speak of. Long lasting engines, no varnish, and no sign of engine wear and all with M1 oils at 10K OCIs.

smile.gif

Um are you forgetting my Santa Fe that went 300K miles (535K KM) and was spotless?

[Linked Image]

Last edited:

smile.gif

How do you come up with this garbage???!!!
crazy2.gif

Our family experience over 12 cars run through the past decade and a half. Not pulled out of my ...uh .... hat lining.
Ask my wife who seems to kill these cars. She has had a lot of Subaru, where most had TSB and recalls for excessive oil usage (FB25B) and incorrectly manufactured cylinders heads as on the EJ253. Just like the toyota 2.4 and the honda have as they went to slipper skirts and low tension rings. These are FACTS you can chooses to ignore, if for nothing else but for your own sanity and peace of mind.

Her current car has a Subaru of America free warranty extension to 120K miles on the CVT. She has decided to try and keep that - for now. The engine is loud for some reason and that bothers me.Sound like an internal exhaust issue. All I could do was check the airbox - and it was tight. Local Dealer says "operating as intended".

All get excellent, complete service with good oil and filters and timely fluids changes.

All I notice is, she is usually in a rush to work and in the Winter she just gets in and starts and goes pretty hard even on days near 0F. That can be a factor.

But, I still stand by the notion that our gasoline is abysmal.

Your experience may vary. And it does.

Ill take you LUCK if you want to give it to me
smile.gif

Last edited:
Our family experience over 12 cars run through the past decade and a half. Not pulled out of my ...uh .... hat lining.

You and your family are excessively hard on your vehicles. Perhaps you need to treat them a little better, and they'll treat you better too. You all need to change your driving habits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back