Valvoline MaxLife 10W30, 5,228 miles, 2002 Toyota Sequioa... Yawn...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize in advance for such a boring report.
Even though there was only 5K miles on the oil, it was in use for 13 months, so I thought that a change was due. It looks like I could have left it in longer.
I reported that 1.25 qts was consumed, but thinking back, I might have only filled with 6 qts rather than the 6.5 qts I was supposed to, which means consumption was closer to 3/4 qt... not bad for an engine with 330K miles on the ticker.
I've also been doing UOAs on and off for the last 13 years on this engine...
18.gif

From these results, I've become a diehard Toyota fan.

Let me know if you guys are as bored as I am, or can inject some lively conversation into these results.
grin.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Question: When you add more "new" oil to the engine, and then do an UOA, doesn't that mess with the results?

Thanks for your answers.

I think this is the most boring UOA I've ever seen on here. Which kind of makes it interesting

Yep, 5000 miles and only 5ppm iron wear, plenty of TBN left at 2.7, and viscosity at 10.3 cSt is still within grade. That looks good to me.

The standard SN+ add pack with Ca + Mg = ~ 1900 in this case(1250 + 680), with regular Zn levels of 750 ppm.

A very normal analysis with a very normal oil, and by normal I mean "Good".

Only interesting this is that 100 ppm of Sodium.
The sodium, it's mostly showing up in the 2 Valvoline Maxlife changes and the Mobil Clean 5000, so it must be an add used by them.

Originally Posted by SR5
Yep, 5000 miles and only 5ppm iron wear, plenty of TBN left at 2.7, and viscosity at 10.3 cSt is still within grade. That looks good to me.

The standard SN+ add pack with Ca + Mg = ~ 1900 in this case(1250 + 680), with regular Zn levels of 750 ppm.

A very normal analysis with a very normal oil, and by normal I mean "Good".

Only interesting this is that 100 ppm of Sodium.
The sodium, it's mostly showing up in the 2 Valvoline Maxlife changes and the Mobil Clean 5000, so it must be an add used by them.

The sodium is gone from the new Maxlife stuff, and MS5K has it in it.

....or can inject some lively conversation into these results...

I would like to hear the tale of ownership in your 300K.. repairs? mpg? weak points? timing belts?

I am considering one of these as a replacement for my 2003 Suburban.

Originally Posted by 1978elcamino
How many timing belts have been dont on this vehicle?

3. At 100K, 199K and 280K.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by fortesquieu
Question: When you add more "new" oil to the engine, and then do an UOA, doesn't that mess with the results?

Thanks for your answers.

Used about 1 qt of oil, but none was added. When I changed the oil, about 5.25 of the original 6.5 qts was left. Looking back, I think I only added 6 qts instead of the the 6.5, so about 0.75qts was burnt over the 5K miles.

Originally Posted by krismoriah72

I would like to hear the tale of ownership in your 300K.. repairs? mpg? weak points? timing belts?

This truck has been good to me over the last 16.5 years, I do not hesitate to recommend. Pulling out my maintenance log... only listing the major stuff and not regular maintenance items. Purchased new in Oct 2002. MPG when new-16-17, now 13-14. Big ticket iems bolded. It's a people mover, not a bushwhacker or off-roader.

Dec 2004 . 55K . Transmission flush, Spark plugs, replaced with platinum (unnecessary, but did it anyway)
Dec 2005 . 82K . Lower Ball Joints (recall)
May 2006 . 91K . Front rotors replaced
Oct 2006 . 100K . Timing belt, water pump, thermostat
Dec 2006 . 106K . Transmission flush
Oct 2010 . 199K . Timing belt, serpentine, water pump, tensioner pulley, transmission flush
Aug 2011 . 210K . Electric Fan for AC on radiator
Feb 2012 . 233K . Spark plugs, replaced with iridium. Replaced alternator, starter, valve cover gaskets.
Jun 2012 . 240K . Throttle lever assembly
Sep 2012 . 244K . Rear rotors replaced
Nov 2012 . 250K . Replaced radiator, hoses, serpentine belt, (intermittent stuttering started)
Jan 2013 . 252K . PCV valve, plugs back to standard, cleaned MAF, Seafoam, cleaned throttle body, replaced fuel filter (stuttering continued, I was considering that this was the end of my ownership)
Feb 2013 . 255K . Driver's side Throttle position sensor, Transmission input shaft seal (stuttering solved)
May 2014 . 280K . Airbag recall, Lower fan shroud, timing belt, water pump
Oct 2014 . 289K . Front Brake rotors
Jan 2015 . 295K . Rear brake rotors (since learned that I should have torqued the nuts correctly instead of just strong-arming them on. That might have contributed to the early warpage compared to OEM)
Apr 2016 . 306K . Spark plugs replaced with the Platinums.
Apr 2016 . 306K . Ignition coils just started failing. Got replacements from Amazon, and I have one fail every 3-5K miles or so. Lifetime warranty so the Amazon seller has been sending me replacements every time.
Nov 2017 . 322K . Throttle Position sensor replaced. Code P0121
Apr 2019 . 330K . Shifter lever assembly replaced.

Numerous oil changes and brake pads, one brake fluid flush, 3 coolant changes, batteries every 3-4 years, and tires every 40-50K miles.

I thought I would have gotten rid of the Sequoia before now, and I regret not doing regular transmission fluid changes. My last change was in 2010 at 199K... I'm afraid to touch the transmission fluid at this point.

Last edited:
Weak points... interior door handle/latches replaced, rear hatch latch replaced once. Rear hatch window was problematic rolling down, and was an intermittent problem, until I found a solution on the web, now it works perfect all the time. My driver's side mirror just stopped working Monday, can still adjust up-down but not in-out (left-right). That's it. I am now a diehard Toyota fan! Can you blame me?

Originally Posted by chinee
Originally Posted by krismoriah72

This truck has been good to me over the last 16.5 years, I do not hesitate to recommend. Pulling out my maintenance log... only listing the major stuff and not regular maintenance items. Purchased new in Oct 2002. MPG when new-16-17, now 13-14. Big ticket iems bolded. It's a people mover, not a bushwhacker or off-roader.

Dec 2004 . 55K . Transmission flush, Spark plugs, replaced with platinum (unnecessary, but did it anyway)
Dec 2005 . 82K . Lower Ball Joints (recall)
May 2006 . 91K . Front rotors replaced
Oct 2006 . 100K . Timing belt, water pump, thermostat
Dec 2006 . 106K . Transmission flush
Oct 2010 . 199K . Timing belt, serpentine, water pump, tensioner pulley, transmission flush
Aug 2011 . 210K . Electric Fan for AC on radiator
Feb 2012 . 233K . Spark plugs, replaced with iridium. Replaced alternator, starter, valve cover gaskets.
Jun 2012 . 240K . Throttle lever assembly
Sep 2012 . 244K . Rear rotors replaced
Nov 2012 . 250K . Replaced radiator, hoses, serpentine belt, (intermittent stuttering started)
Jan 2013 . 252K . PCV valve, plugs back to standard, cleaned MAF, Seafoam, cleaned throttle body, replaced fuel filter (stuttering continued, I was considering that this was the end of my ownership)
Feb 2013 . 255K . Driver's side Throttle position sensor, Transmission input shaft seal (stuttering solved)
May 2014 . 280K . Airbag recall, Lower fan shroud, timing belt, water pump
Oct 2014 . 289K . Front Brake rotors
Jan 2015 . 295K . Rear brake rotors (since learned that I should have torqued the nuts correctly instead of just strong-arming them on. That might have contributed to the early warpage compared to OEM)
Apr 2016 . 306K . Spark plugs replaced with the Platinums.
Apr 2016 . 306K . Ignition coils just started failing. Got replacements from Amazon, and I have one fail every 3-5K miles or so. Lifetime warranty so the Amazon seller has been sending me replacements every time.
Nov 2017 . 322K . Throttle Position sensor replaced. Code P0121
Apr 2019 . 330K . Shifter lever assembly replaced.

Numerous oil changes and brake pads, one brake fluid flush, 3 coolant changes, batteries every 3-4 years, and tires every 40-50K miles.

I thought I would have gotten rid of the Sequoia before now, and I regret not doing regular transmission fluid changes. My last change was in 2010 at 199K... I'm afraid to touch the transmission fluid at this point.

This is about a good a point as any to compare and contrast a Sequoia vs a Tahoe/Suburban..
MPG- about the same.. i am around 14mpg.
Maintenance- Knock Sensors, oil pressure sensor, alternator, water pump. I also replaced the shocks at 230K. Had both front calipers seize as well. Fan Clutch. Dash Cluster replaced.

I will keep my eyes out for a lower mileage Sequoia..

FWIW my 2003 Suburban does not feel tired/worn out at 250K. Perhaps if i add 100K miles more to match yours more things will arise.

Looks like you experimented with Iridium spark plugs and then went back to copper...what didn't you like about them? I did this on my previous '03 Tundra V8 at ~40K miles, still ran smoothly and consistent fuel mileage when I sold it at ~130K miles.

My intention was not to experiment but rather try to solve the intermittent stuttering issue I had. The dealer had no clue so I was trying everything electrical I could think of... ended up being the driver's side throttle position sensor or acc. Pedal position sensor... can't recall the exact name right now.

Oh... one more weak point I've been living with since 2013... there's a small leak in the passenger side exhaust manifold, resulting in an uneven idle and reduced acceleration, but which usually goes away when warmed up. I've had a replacement manifold in the garage since ‘13 but never can find the time to get around to replacing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back