Monroe / Gabriel / KYB replacement shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Decisions, decisions...

A set of new monotube shocks for my 2004 Silverado 5.3 RWD Extended cab.

Monroe Reflex monotube ($156 shipped)
Gabriel MaxControl monotube ($164 shipped)
KYB Gas-a-Just monotube ($171 shipped)

I'm looking to restore the factory ride. It still has the factory shocks on it.

This truck has the Z82 towing package and the Z85 monotube shock package.

So... which ones?

Ive always had good experiences with Monroe and KYB, never used Gabriel but they've been around forever. The Monroes are probably going to be closest to OEM and the KYB will be slightly better. All will be good 50Kmi shocks IMHO.

I would go with KYB in this example. Monroe is usually a fair amount cheaper but not so in this case.

I have KYB on my truck and like them.

KYB makes a consistently high quality product that's reasonably priced and has a fitment for just about everything. They're not usually sporty so they get slept on, but they're at least as good as OEM and very dependable. For anything that isn't a sports car, they're the obvious choice. Don't pinch the pennies, just buy the KYBs.

I put the Reflex on my Expedition because the factory shocks kept blowing. They are great. Good control, decent ride. I love in Houston where the roads are awful, too. Can't complain for the price.

KYB is a steal for the $$. Bilstein will make you happy, if it is in the budget.
I put them in my 2001 Tundra; it has almost 200K and rides so well.

Last edited:
Among those choices, KYB.

It is by far the most for the money and will likely outlast the others, with excellent performance. I have the gas-a-just in an SUV and love them.

I have 2 Class B campers and a Dodge 1500 to pull my small 5th wheel. The Monroes are on the Dodge and no complaints. Everyone says the ride is great. A roadtrek Dodge B350 has Gabriel and is very controlled, I like them. Have the Bilstein on the LTV Dodge B3500 and it rides like a 80;s Buick. Not controlled enough for me. Everyone has different expectations in their ride. For everyday driving, take the Monroes.

I forgot about the 5% RockAuto discount, so that slotted the KYB's between the Monroe and Gabriel (both from Amazon) on price. That was enough to make the decision.

The KYB G-a-J shocks will be here tomorrow, and will go on the truck next week.

A set of Bilstein shocks would have been nice, but not on a 15 year old truck... that I only drive about 6,000 miles a year. If I drove 20,000 miles a year, I would have had a set of Bilsteins on it a long time ago.

Just received the KYB's from Rock Auto.

The two front shocks: One shock is in the wrong box, and the hardware bags have been cut open on both shocks.

The rear shocks: One box has been closed with 3/4" scotch tape, as well as packing tape, and has lots of shelf wear.

It appears that two (3?) shocks, out of a set of four, are customer returns.

It is all going back. Not sure what I was thinking.

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Just received the KYB's from Rock Auto.

The two front shocks: One shock is in the wrong box, and the hardware bags have been cut open on both shocks.

The rear shocks: One box has been closed with 3/4" scotch tape, as well as packing tape, and has lots of shelf wear.

It appears that two (3?) shocks, out of a set of four, are customer returns.

It is all going back. Not sure what I was thinking.

Rock Auto is a drop-shipper. They do not own any of the warehouses or inventory.

Amazon has a good price on them. A set of four will run about $200 front rear

Originally Posted by mrsilv04
Not sure what I was thinking.

Not quite tracking this - you got exactly what you wanted/ordered, but don't like the packaging? Thus sending it back?

old mismatched, I would like a set made all about the same time frame, could have changed process's or specs and made them different.

Originally Posted by stroked93
old mismatched, I would like a set made all about the same time frame, could have changed processes or specs and made them different.

That's exactly the issue.

So, I turned around and ordered a set from Amazon. They arrived quickly, on Sunday no less.

Both pairs have the same matching four digit production codes stamped on them, and the same production code is printed on the label on the box. On the rear shocks, both labels have a small blue dot on them. From the RockAuto shipment, only one rear shock had a blue dot. I'm not sure what the blue dot means, but there's probably a reason it is there, if KYB took the time and effort to put it there.

One downside, the hardware pack on one shock was busted open from the Amazon shipment, and is missing a washer. I contacted KYB Customer Support and they quickly acknowledged the issue and are sending out a replacement hardware pack. Not sure why they're using bags that break open so easily for the hardware. It's a dumb way for them to save one tenth of a cent.

Curious... Did you order the "wholesale closeout" parts or are the KYB parts you ordered "regular" inventory?

Originally Posted by BiffCIW
Curious... Did you order the "wholesale closeout" parts or are the KYB parts you ordered "regular" inventory?

Regular inventory. I'm not brave enough to do the "closeout" stuff, especially when I'm paying someone else to install them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back