Tire Rotation FWD Non-Directional Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few ways to rotate tires on a FWD vehicle. But which way is more ideal?

I have heard doing X-Pattern is bad for the radial belts.

What is your way of doing it and why?

Thanks

For all non-directional tread patterns with tires of equal size:

Front left to rear left; Rear left to front right; Front right to rear right; Rear right to front left.

It won't hurt the belts.

Non-directional, then you rotate them any way you want, as long as it's front to back. There was an old wive's tale 40 years ago about radial tires and keeping them rotating in the same direction. It turned out to be false, but it's been near impossible to kill with all the old people who originally heard it back in the 80's.

I use the patterns Tire Rack recommends in their online information. In the case of topic FWD non directional, rears X'ed on the way up, fronts straight back. Of course front to back (same side) and vice versa used with directional tires, always an option. See link posted previously.

Originally Posted by zmelli
Front to Back, cross the Rears to the front. Works every time.

I think this is also what Subaru recommends for its AWD vehicles with non-directional tires.

I've always used TireRack's Method "A", on all vehicles, with good results.

I think the important thing is to actually rotate at an interval to even out wear patterns....and unless you have unidirectionals, changing sides is a good thing.

That is what I do. Not sure it matters but it's only a few minutes longer than straight back/forth. So why not?

Fronts go straight back, rears cross to the front. Same as most everyone else. I find these wear better than directional tires that always stay on the same side and always rotate the same way.

Originally Posted by JLTD
I've always used TireRack's Method "A", on all vehicles, with good results.

I think the important thing is to actually rotate at an interval to even out wear patterns....and unless you have unidirectionals, changing sides is a good thing.

Same here.

I believe this one here^^^ is correct.

Originally Posted by Propflux01
I "X" mine. Every 5000 miles I get perfect even wear on all 4.

I like the X too, plan to do it today. I want the tire to rotate the other direction routinely.

The exact rotation pattern is not nearly as important than the rotation itself - front to rear.

The front tires do different things than the rears. the front suspensions are different than the rear.

The purpose of rotating tires is to even out the wear rate (especially important on FWD) and to even out the wear pattern (especially important for RWD), so the tire wear is at about the same rate, so the car will behave normally (and benignly) in emergency situations. What you don't want is the car swapping ends just because of the difference in tire wear.

Having a tire visit all 4 wheel positions is a good idea (which an "X" on one end of the pattern does), but even front to rear rotation has much more benefits than nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back