ALS beats Blackstone - That is a First

Status
Not open for further replies.
Samples received at Blackstone and ALS Atlanta same day.

ALS results here, Blackstone not.

That has never happened before.
21.gif

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

21.gif

Which one will give you better information about the status of your oil. I want to know every last drop of my oil and what it is doing. I go swimming in it at night, no need for a lab test. Of course I joke but which company will provide the most information for my dollar

Originally Posted by csandste
Don't care particularly about turn around time but what does ALS charge and could you post both results.

ALS kits can be purchased via NAPA, WIX and who knows where else. It has been awhile since I bought any from NAPA but very reasonable at around $15-$18 and includes TBN automatically. I've seen where people here say that they've bought WIX kits on Amazon (I believe) for something like $10. Either way, same lab and testing, just different names.

I like using my local CAT dealer because I can drop off the samples and get quick turnaround for the results. I pay $18.99 for lots of info but pay an extra $8.99 for TBN or TAN on the rare occasion that I want them.

@dustyroads Although you drop off the oil samples, does your local CAT dealer include self-addressed postage back to the lab.?

Originally Posted by DuckRyder

21.gif

It's now 16 days and I'm still waiting for my Blackstone results. I'm not sure how long the USPS delivery takes but I suspect that is the holdup. The previous sample I sent was this past December and it spanned the Christmas and New Year holidays and that sample took a little over 4 weeks before I saw the results.

I'm going to call today and at least check to see if the last sample arrived or if it was lost in delivery.

Ray

Last edited:
I think Blackstone may be overloaded right now. On my latest sample they received it on 5/1 and I didn't get results until 5/9. Usually once they receive it I have results in 3-4 days. Are you going to post your results?

My previous Blackstone samples got processed in less than a week time. Still waiting on my last one (more than a week now).

I've just noticed the Mobile version of the results does not report the TAN number (although it is present in the .pdf file). TAN and ISO code lines are missing in the Mobile version.

Originally Posted by RamFan
I think Blackstone may be overloaded right now. On my latest sample they received it on 5/1 and I didn't get results until 5/9. Usually once they receive it I have results in 3-4 days. Are you going to post your results?

I just called... Sample was put in the mail April 27 and they received it on the 8th so, my suspicions are correct... USPS is slow to send those plastic bottle containers. Anyhow, the lady at Blackstone said their turn-around time is running about 6 days right now.

Yes, I'll post the results when they arrive. This will be the second consecutive UOA on my son's 2007 Matrix using Milesyn SB. Sadly, this last time, he went way over our normal OCI. I think he went about 8000 or more miles.

Ray

Originally Posted by Patrick0525
@dustyroads Although you drop off the oil samples, does your local CAT dealer include self-addressed postage back to the lab.?

Yes, they (Milton CAT) provide paid UPS (the brown truck company, not the USPS) shipping bags of some sort and is included in the price. I can't speak for other CAT dealers, though.

While each CAT dealer does similar testing and for a similar price, there are often some differences between them. If you want to use your regional CAT dealer, you should check with them regarding their testing and prices, first. I just like to offer the CAT dealers as an option for quick turnaround and possibly save the frustration of a "lost in the mail" scenario.

Years ago, I was told that the Milton CAT parts truck picked up the samples while making the rounds. My sister usually makes the 40 mile trip to Binghamton (my "local" dealer) for me since she has business in the area. She says that the samples actually go to a "premium" CAT lab in the Philadelphia area, rather than going to Milton's headquarters in Massachusetts as I once thought.

Last edited:
My recent two black stones took awhile once they got there, as well. I tracked them both, they took less than a week to arrive but almost two weeks to get my results back on both samples.

This astonished me. It is rare indeed that I don't get results the night following when I drop a sample off at LabOne.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
Originally Posted by Patrick0525

Yes, they (Milton CAT) provide paid UPS (the brown truck company, not the USPS) shipping bags of some sort and is included in the price. I can't speak for other CAT dealers, though.

While each CAT dealer does similar testing and for a similar price, there are often some differences between them. If you want to use your regional CAT dealer, you should check with them regarding their testing and prices, first. I just like to offer the CAT dealers as an option for quick turnaround and possibly save the frustration of a "lost in the mail" scenario.

Years ago, I was told that the Milton CAT parts truck picked up the samples while making the rounds. My sister usually makes the 40 mile trip to Binghamton (my "local" dealer) for me since she has business in the area. She says that the samples actually go to a "premium" CAT lab in the Philadelphia area, rather than going to Milton's headquarters in Massachusetts as I once thought.

It is coincident but I just spoke to the oil technician in Philadelphia suburb Bensalem/Bristol CAT.
Is it that CAT lab? They charge about $18 per UOA.

Too expensive for my taste. I buy my 10 pack UOA from Fabick CAT in Fenton, Mo for $120 + $13 UPS shipping. Return shipping is included and it is sent by USPS.

My UOA data tracks well against my Blackstone UOA data. East coast prices are always higher than the Mid-West states ie God's country.

Yeah, I believe it is Bensalem, PA that my samples go to. No mention of a CAT dealer's name, just that it's considered a "premium" CAT laboratory according to Milton CAT.

You're getting a very good price for the sample kits from Fabick. My only gripe is the mailing part of the deal. I drive past many CAT dealers around the country, including Fabick locations. I'm sticking with my local dealer for consistency, but with the deal you're getting, others may want to try Fabick or maybe other dealers with similar offers.

Originally Posted by dustyroads
Yeah, I believe it is Bensalem, PA that my samples go to. No mention of a CAT dealer's name, just that it's considered a "premium" CAT laboratory according to Milton CAT.

You're getting a very good price for the sample kits from Fabick. My only gripe is the mailing part of the deal. I drive past many CAT dealers around the country, including Fabick locations. I'm sticking with my local dealer for consistency, but with the deal you're getting, others may want to try Fabick or maybe other dealers with similar offers.

In respect to "consistency", I choose the alternative methodology and use both Blackstone and Fabick CAT to reduce a potential bias in my historical UOA data. Keeps both labs honest. Lol

Not every time, but often I send samples to Blackstone and ALS for the same UOA. They are usually pretty consistent.

Still no Blackstone report. Today is the 6th business day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back