Which oil filter type do you prefer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canister or cartridge type?

I have only owned one vehicle with a cartridge filter, at first I dident like it. Once I realized I can swap the filter without spilling a drop I liked it. Plus, I can look at the media without cutting a canister. I always kept a spare cap in the event it cracked or broke but never needed it. Gave it to the new owner when I sold the car.

One advantage I feel the canister has is the bypass valve is built in, new with each filter change. The bypass valve in the cartridge syle is part of the car.

Both I feel have their cons and pro's, does anyone else have any thoughts on why one could be better than the other?

I have the cartridge filter now. The only reason I would dislike it would be the cost of the filter. They're normally like $15-$20 in the store. Even online they're in the $7-$8 range unless you can find them on clearance. But yeah, very easy to change and you don't spill any oil as it's on top.

So far, canister. My cartridge is underneath, behind a skid plate
frown.gif
Now, if it was on top I'd probably prefer it.

Give me a screw on type filter I'm not pay someone double for a filter that is only the guts of a screw on filter.

Cartridge filter question.jpg

Last edited:
A drop-in style cartridge is the least messy, it's a little more work to reassemble the o-rings but I'm doing it while the oil is draining anyway.

If the cartridge filter is mounted on top, then it makes for a no-mess oil change that can be performed without having to crawl under the car.
Cartridge at the bottom - no thanks.

Cartridge filters are only acceptable if they are priced the same as a spin-on can and accessed from the top

Otherwise, the spin-on is better
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Cartridge filters are only acceptable if they are priced the same as a spin-on can and accessed from the top

Otherwise, the spin-on is better
smile.gif

Yeah, otherwise cartridge filters are just an excuse to charge you more. Although the tops, bottoms and around the cartridge seem to be a bit more solid than the ones you see in a canister.

Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Give me a screw on type filter I'm not pay someone double for a filter that is only the guts of a screw on filter.

Right on Johnny....

I had a GM ecotec 2.2 with a cartridge, it cost no more than a filter for my f150. I think the AC Delco at Walmart was under 4 bucks IIRC.

I would prefer a top mounted cartridge filters for ease of changing (and inspecting). I don't like the cost.

I still have to go under the vehicle to drain the oil (and no, I don't want to do a vacuum pump) and look around underneath it, so a bottom mounted canister that is easy to get it does not bother me either.

Toyota's bottom mounted cartridge seems to be a more complicated process. Why not top mounted like every one else?
I can't stand sideways mounted canisters or ones in hard to reach places.

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe: Delo XLE 10W-30, OEM Filter, 3,000 mile OCI
2012 Scion xB: QSUD 5W-20, CarQuest Blue, 5,000 mile OCI
2007 Saturn Vue: Synpower 5w-30, Ecogard Synthetic, OLM
2002 Ford F150: Magnatec 5W-20, Bosch Distance +, 1 year OCI
1994 Honda VT1100c: Peak 15W-40, Bosch Distance +, 1 year OCI

Cartridge, hands down winner. You can inspect it before installation since it's all there out in the open, nothing hidden. Plus, seems we rarely, if ever, have seen one get a hole or tear in it.

I had a cartridge filter on my '06 Ford Fusion which I owned since new for twelve years. While I didn't mind it I felt the price was too high. Access from the top would have been nice too (mine was under the engine).

Originally Posted by bbhero
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson

Right on Johnny....

Good point Johnny....I could get behind that.

Personal preference, spin on type. That said, engine top mounted cartridge type, not too far behind. Engine bottom mounted cartridge type like Toyota, no love here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back