AC+Heat unit suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Posters need to realize that the Skymark unit that pandus13 is talking about is truly obsolete and unobtainium (parts, replacement unit, or otherwise). The Skymark unit fits into a unique sized space within a brick exterior with no replacement options, other than possibly the suggestion from insuitetech1.

pandus13, check out this thread in its entirety: https://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?1405751-Skymark-Skypak-s

and: http://heatranlogic.com/

You are in a very difficult dilemma here and maybe your HOA needs to get involved to find a suitable solution.

Pandus13,

have you talked to your neighbors what dollars they spent to replace this system? any of your neighbors at your condo got a reference on the HVAC guy they used?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Cutehumor
Pandus13,

have you talked to your neighbors what dollars they spent to replace this system? any of your neighbors at your condo got a reference on the HVAC guy they used?

Hi,
The replacement is a completely different unit, which also involves some brick+metal header (re-)work.
Seems to be around $5K-8K.
At some point I was able to find some complete units sitting somewhere in a warehouse in MO, but with no warranty.

I got some tech that for now repaired the existing unit. (nothing in the last 14 months).

P.S.1: Many thanks the other guys about the additional explanations.
P.S. Skymark got bought by Johnson Controls, but did not got certified for US anymore. That's why the unobtanium parts. There are still some parts shared with common furnaces (gas valve, etc)

We have the makings of a South Park or Seinfeld episode. Make a run to Canada to get parts and some illicit toilets while you are on the road
smile.gif

Originally Posted by pandus13
Originally Posted by Cutehumor
Pandus13,

Hi,
The replacement is a completely different unit, which also involves some brick+metal header (re-)work.
Seems to be around $5K-8K.
At some point I was able to find some complete units sitting somewhere in a warehouse in MO, but with no warranty.

I got some tech that for now repaired the existing unit. (nothing in the last 14 months).

P.S.1: Many thanks the other guys about the additional explanations.
P.S. Skymark got bought by Johnson Controls, but did not got certified for US anymore. That's why the unobtanium parts. There are still some parts shared with common furnaces (gas valve, etc)

Originally Posted by javacontour
We have the makings of a South Park or Seinfeld episode. Make a run to Canada to get parts and some illicit toilets while you are on the road
smile.gif

I have the Tim Horton's coffee cup and I'm not afraid to used it...

Apartment owner here. You should stick to what you have, repair anything you can, before consider replacing it, because:

1) These kind of specialty units are not cheap nor are they easy to find, easy to install, and when you do you probably don't want a handyman to do it, nor a typical HVAC guy who hasn't done it before.
2) You will not likely gain any efficiency by replacing it, there are likely not much incentive for the manufacturer to keep releasing new low volume units, unless for regulation reasons.
3) New unit may not be reliable either due to low volume.
4) Any modification inside a multi-family units with HOA to fit another kind of units will likely be so expensive, it is cheaper to fix the broken parts on your existing unit.

Google is your friend, search what most people do in your situation, and follow. These kind of weird units are risky, I'd do what others do, safety in number.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back