Engagement/Wedding Rings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by xBa380
I can't fathom spending so much money on a rock. Thankfully, my girlfriend feels the same exact way! Been together for over 16 years now.

We'd rather use money for a trip or other life experience. Such as our trip to Germany in a few weeks. Much better use of the same amount of money as a ring!

Yup, my wife and I are like that too. She even jokingly threatened me if I ever spent huge money on a ring. She has my mother's ring and I have her father's band. We don't wear them (I'm a mechanic and rings don't mix well with that vocation) but have been together for 23 years now. We don't celebrate holidays but instead treat every day like one. And also like you we would rather skip the gifts and travel together instead. Personally I feel that too much emphasis is placed on buying trinkets, junk or other stuff that is rarely truly appreciated, used and/or remembered for more than a few days or weeks. Imo a vacation or short trip is far better than a trinket.

Originally Posted by thooks
Get up early one morning and drive down to Atlanta.

Solomon Brothers

Negotiate.

Bam.

I actually have family in Atlanta I should go see.

I'm not opposed to the idea, but why that particular store?

I couldn't negotiate a good deal here in Nashville?

Originally Posted by The_Eric
I can't fathom spending so much money on a rock. Thankfully, my girlfriend feels the same exact way! Been together for over 16 years now.

We'd rather use money for a trip or other life experience. Such as our trip to Germany in a few weeks. Much better use of the same amount of money as a ring!

Yup, my wife and I are like that too. She even jokingly threatened me if I ever spent huge money on a ring. She has my mother's ring and I have her father's band. We don't wear them (I'm a mechanic and rings don't mix well with that vocation) but have been together for 23 years now. We don't celebrate holidays but instead treat every day like one. And also like you we would rather skip the gifts and travel together instead. Personally I feel that too much emphasis is placed on buying trinkets, junk or other stuff that is rarely truly appreciated, used and/or remembered for more than a few days or weeks. Imo a vacation or short trip is far better than a trinket.

Definitely understand that sentiment, and my girlfriend is definitely not materialistic, and has said she has anxiety about me spending a lot on a ring. She said she definitely doesn't want me going into debt for a ring (thankfully I won't need to do that).

But I want to get her a ring. I'm not going to spend crazy money on it or anything, but I'm going to get her something nice that will last for the rest of her life.

My wife proudly wears an intricate setting that likely never would be made now from 1910 never set with a thousand dollar used diamond. Is your partner interested in the setting or the shiny part?

I would not downplay someone's desire for a lifetime meaningful daily worn item. Trip to Germany is not that big of deal in scheme of things.

Originally Posted by madRiver
My wife proudly wears an intricate setting that likely never would be made now from 1910 never set with a thousand dollar used diamond. Is your partner interested in the setting or the shiny part?

Good question. I haven't gotten that detailed with her. She just said, "think vintage-inspired". Sent me a couple of photos of vintage-inspired rings.

We just bought an engagement ring after be fact. A few of our "friends" said it wasn't a true engagement until we had a ring, but they were ignored.

Bands we just bought a few months later as well as a few of those rubber rings to keep the actual bands nice during work and such.

Our day is this Saturday.
grin2.gif

I picked out the diamond, she picked out the setting.
I went to a wholesaler in downtown Saint Louis so I could understand the diamond qualifications, and picked from over 100 loose diamonds.
I wanted something that said "I'm married" from across the room, so I got a large center stone.
She picked an appropriate setting to display said rock, with small baguettes extending from each side.
The engagement band was a row of diamonds in a yellow gold set.
I just picked up the anniversary band 2 weeks ago. Another row of matching diamonds in yellow gold for the other side of the ring to celebrate 25 years.
BUT, there are many many ways to go about this. Some have simple gold or Ti bands, some get tattoos. Some don't do anything. Really it's all about what makes you and her happy and symbolizes commitment. The ring is representative of a continuous circle of love and trust with no end. As long as you work on it, anything can represent that.
I will say she has enjoyed the set, I have too. And compliments never stop. I like that it reinforces the promise we made, but I'm kind of a sap for sad movies too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back