Worst Wearing Tire You Have Ever Owned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by FordCapriDriver
Anybody got any experience with Nankang tyres?

Had them on a Mustang years ago … went back to Eagle GT after one got curb killed early (20k) …

Originally Posted by mk378
The tires that come with a new car are never very good.
Tend to agree with you. Two sets of Hankook 426's on two new Elantras, seemed to wear well for 20,000 miles, thinking they would go past 50,000 miles. However, one set wore out by 33,000 miles & the second set, switched to a lighter, smaller car, still wore out at 39,000 miles. I did have a new Dodge Caliber with Dunlop SP tires tho, the tires lasting past 50,000 miles (never needed a re-alignment, either)! A two wheel set of Hankook 431's on the rear of one Elantra, wore out sooner than a pair of worn Yokohama Geolanders on the front drive wheels of the Elantra. But the worst wearing tires of all, have to be ANY tire put on a drift car. The silly sport of drifting has to be banned. Must have been dreamed up by some kid who loves to pollute without doing anything important.
The second type of tire that wears the worst, is owned by poor people, who can't afford the next set of tires.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Aftermarket SSR would probably be better. Actually Tire Rack did test of Pirelli Scorpion Verde (OE) and Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus (aftermarket). Aftermarket had better longevity and performance, but worse mpg. SSR on MB are definiately tuned for MB specifications. The question is: what are those specifications? Would not be surprised that mpg and absolutely best braking+handling performance were imperative to impress EPA+reviewers.
The "aftermarket" version of the SSR tires are the same as the ones that are on the car now with a UTQG rating of AA 280 (which means they will likely wear the same). I have had OEM tires that are only available as new on the car, but these Continentals seem to be available both ways. I have no idea what the MB specification part is, but after talking with the dealer (who said this was "normal"--to which I called bovine scatology--on what planet should a car owner "expect" to pay about $1500 annually for tires on a car that is not driven hard at all), I will not use Continental again. The car averages 30+ MPG so even if it dropped a few MPG, I am OK with that, but I am not convinced that would happen. In the case of the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flats, the front tires are 2 pounds lighter and the back tires are the same weight versus that of the Continentals.

Originally Posted by mk378
The tires that come with a new car are never very good. They're made specifically for that purpose, sold to the factory on a low bid.

As for cheap replacements, one time I bought Capitol. They were never round. Kind of wished they would wear out faster.

I agree - new car tires are rarely any good. On the last 4 new cars, the ones with Goodyear were lucky to make 20K miles. My daughters 2016 Corolla has Michelins that have almost 40K on them and they are looking pretty good. I think at the last service around 30K miles the tread was 5 - 6/32 I advised her to replace them this summer (she is a school teacher).

I bought a replacement set of Goodyears for my 2005 Trailblazer and they didn't last very long - I thinking 35K miles. Replaced those with B.F. Goodrich and they were much better (wear wise). The original Continentals made about 20K miles.

Bridgestone BT56J. Invariably less than 1k miles to the wear bars, and not the greatest grip to that point. Thankfully it's long since been superseded by better tires.

Originally Posted by peejaycruiser

I put hiflys on my vt and found them very good.

We sell them at work, and try to talk people up to a better tyre, because we know they'll be back in a year with them worn out. But they are cheap, and some just want cheap. I took them off my car and put them on my trailer, they will last forever there.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Originally Posted by rubberchicken
You realize that you have the optional sport package with 19" runflat tires ?. They are rated at 280 AA A, so I would have expected you to get 20-30k miles out of them in average driving. Here are the original tires-

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...%20Sedan&autoModClar=Sport%20Package

The only tires I see on Tirerack with long treadlife ( > 300 UTQA) and also runflat in the size you need are the following-

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...%20Sedan&autoModClar=Sport%20Package
Yes, of course I do and if I had managed 20-30K out of them I would not have given them the "worst wearing tires I have ever owned" award--they truly are expensive POS. My wife does not drive agressively and for them to be completely worn out at 13K is nothing short of ludicrous. Those are the Pirelli's that I am looking at.

I think the Pirelli model you are leaning towards is your best bet. I generally buy from Tirerack and have my local installer put them on: free road hazard warranty and Tirerack has always gone out of their way to help me out.

Dunlop D60 A2. Worst wearing tire I ever had. The Futura tires from Pep Boys I got as a replacement was a lot better... during the broke college days

Mickey Thompson ET Drag slicks. I got about 45 miles out of them... a 1/4 mile at a time.
lol.gif

On a serious note, I had a set of Bridgestone potenzas that didn't last 20k miles.

The worst was a set of BF Goodrich tires I had in the late 90s. I'm don't know if the tires were bad to begin with or if the place a got them sold me a set that had been in the storeroom a few years. I was not as diligent about rotating my tires and checking the pressure back then so that could have played a factor. I say this because the tires have decent online reviews and seem to be a popular mid-range tire.

Originally Posted by tony1679
Originally Posted by tony1679
My favorite mainstream brand is now Falken

Mainstream? How?
It's advertised equally as much as the big players, is carried in-stock permanently at both of my major local tire shops (several models, not just one type), and is pretty much commonly known everywhere.
21.gif

Ah, OK. I was referring to quality.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
Aftermarket SSR would probably be better. Actually Tire Rack did test of Pirelli Scorpion Verde (OE) and Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus (aftermarket). Aftermarket had better longevity and performance, but worse mpg. SSR on MB are definiately tuned for MB specifications. The question is: what are those specifications? Would not be surprised that mpg and absolutely best braking+handling performance were imperative to impress EPA+reviewers.
The "aftermarket" version of the SSR tires are the same as the ones that are on the car now with a UTQG rating of AA 280 (which means they will likely wear the same). I have had OEM tires that are only available as new on the car, but these Continentals seem to be available both ways. I have no idea what the MB specification part is, but after talking with the dealer (who said this was "normal"--to which I called bovine scatology--on what planet should a car owner "expect" to pay about $1500 annually for tires on a car that is not driven hard at all), I will not use Continental again. The car averages 30+ MPG so even if it dropped a few MPG, I am OK with that, but I am not convinced that would happen. In the case of the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Run Flats, the front tires are 2 pounds lighter and the back tires are the same weight versus that of the Continentals.

Just bcs. aftermarket has same UTQG it does not mean it is same tire. It would be shocking that MB is using tire that is not specific for that vehicle.

Goodyear Conquest and Firestone 721 tires. The Goodyear's lasted 12,000+ miles on a car driven by a 80 year old woman. The Firestone 721 tires that were "special ordered" on my 1978 Pontiac Catalina had the belts showing with less than 16, 000 mile on them.

The Tires that I have on my car now! Goodyear Eagle Sport All-Season, Made in Turkey. I have had to have these egg shaped POS tires re-balanced 5 times in a year trying to get rid of the vibration. I even went to the pick-u-part and got another set of wheels. The second set of wheels also needed large weights to zero out. It is not the car or wheels because running the stock steel wheels with winter tires is smooth going down the interstate.

I am currently looking for new tires and holding out for a Memorial Day sale. Toyo Z900, Falken and Nexan tires seem promising after spending weeks reading tire reviews.

Suprisingly (being a Michelin fan) were the Premier A/S on my '09 C300 - 18k miles and they were down to 4/32's (alignment was fine and they were all worn uniformly). They only start out at 8/32's when new, despite whatever super duper tread compound Michelin used there was no way they would make it to the 60k warranty, if I tried I would have been riding around on the belts. Will say they were amazing tires performance wise but the tread wear left a lot to be desired.

Michelin pilots ! They were factory installed on my 2012 Dodge that I bought new. Car had under 25k when I noticed the rubber pealing off on the edges, rest of the tire had some tread left. What gets me is The reputation, price and advertising for Michelins. Reminds me of my Maytag dishwasher that needed a motherboard after 4 years of once or twice a week use.

I am in the same boat with the same tires michelin premier As
27k and down to 4/32 and 5/32
60k tire
This is actually really weird since the last set was exactly the same model if I remember correctly and i replaced them at 58k
Tire guys scolded me for replacing them at 58k since they figured i had 10k left
But it was coming into winter and wet traction was poor so they got replaced.
Father in law is having issues with the same michelin premier as he has less than 40k and is shopping for new tires.
I used to swear by michelins now i just swear at them.

Originally Posted by pezzy669
Suprisingly (being a Michelin fan) were the Premier A/S on my '09 C300 - 18k miles and they were down to 4/32's (alignment was fine and they were all worn uniformly). They only start out at 8/32's when new, despite whatever super duper tread compound Michelin used there was no way they would make it to the 60k warranty, if I tried I would have been riding around on the belts. Will say they were amazing tires performance wise but the tread wear left a lot to be desired.

Originally Posted by UG_Passat
Dunlop D60 A2. Worst wearing tire I ever had. The Futura tires from Pep Boys I got as a replacement was a lot better... during the broke college days

Yes they left a little to be desired as far as tread wear BUT they were pretty cheap
Plus they held like glue to the road
Wet traction and dry traction was awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back